1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Days For Old Dog (Serious)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by southpark, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southpark

southpark TS Member

First, I never opened the thread about putting down an old hunting dog for fear of what I might read there.

Second, all the folks piling on with the gag threads are probably right to give you a bad time about it.

Third, if you are serious about the best way to put a dog that you love down, and don't just want to read some of the hillbilly or sick and crazy ideas you probably got around here, simply pay a vet for a house call and have the dog injected while you are holding it and telling it you love it.

Really simple and a method that won't leave you asking yourself what the hell was wrong with youself, or having your daughter turn into a stripper because she could never get over you blowing Fido's brains out with your trap gun.

Good luck in this terrible time and I hope your animal is able to pass in peace.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Having just buryed my pup of alot of years I can relate . She went with her head on my leg in a soft sleep no pain just a deep breathe and gone . I put her in the Grave with her bed and toys . No more dogs for me .

KEYBEAR

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

This is a true story. I have a dog half Jack and half fox terrior.
    His name is Andy. Andy is my best friend.
    I came home one day with a new pet,a fainting goat I named Bubba.
    Well, Andy was very beside himself at first.
    He looked at me as if to say,what the hell looks like I now play second fiddle.
    Over time Andy got to be great friends with Bubba.
    I went out to feed Bubba one morning and he was laying on the ground and would not get up,all the time Andy was laying there watching Bubba.
    I thought something was wrong do to the fact the way Andy was acting.
    Well, about four hours later Andy came to me and acted very strange.
    He had a look in his eyes I had never seen before.
    I went out to check on Bubba and he was dead.
    My wife came out and cried.
    We dug a grave and put Bubba to rest all the time Andy stood with his head cocked looking at me.
    The wife and I went in our home and Andy laid by the grave.
    Came supper time to no avail would Andy come in.
    This dog laid by that grave for three days.
    He would not eat or anything else,even though I put food and water out for him.
    After the third day I went out and picked him up and said my friend it's ok.
    After this he would go out and set by that grave just for a few minutes and then come back.
    I have tears as I type this. Yes, Andy is right beside me.
    If this old friend goes before I do,it's going to be a day I will never forget.

Bo

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Get a new one before the old one goes and it's a little easier on everybody.

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

I'm crying as I read all this. And I used to think that a dog was just a dog.

6. the chink

the chink TS Member

This thread has got me tearing up bad. Odd how hearing of any dogs passing affects one like this. The best way is that the vet do a house call and is gentle with the drugs. I lost 2 of my dachs at the vets and frankly i'd now rather find a vet friend and ask him or her to come over.

As for house call fees hell, i'll pay no problem. Better my baby go happy and at home. As for getting another dog, you should go right ahead and get another or two the puppy antics will dull the pain.

All i can say to those who have old dogs out there, treat them well and give them their dose of loving. After all, I don't think you'll find a anyone who will plunge into cold water to pick up your birds, guard your home at the risk of their own lives and still treat you like you are their best friend and family.

going home to mine now. And to all those dog lovers out there, you already know that the argument that animals have no soul is absolute HOGWASH. They are already hunting, playing and stuffing their faces on venison on the other side. When you get there, one whistle and they'll be at your feet ready to hunt like you remember.

peace, TC

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

As a lover of dogs, this has established that there are many good men who visit this sight. Thank you for you kind and feeling posts. I know that a good dog earns his way into our harts and is a valued member of our families. Bruce

8. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Put my 14 yo black cocker to sleep 2 yrs ago and am still not over it. She was an Alpha female given to me by a lady friend. This little dog was incrditable. Every lab and retriever in the nieghborhood steared clear and what a great watch dog and buddy. The day I put her down she could hardly walk. She got chicken, hot dogs, and rib eye. I cried, as did my lady friend, the Vet, and her assistant. It was done in my living room and very peaceful but sad.

9. southpark

southpark TS Member

It was a great relief to my wife and I to know there are some decent folks around here. Our eyes weren't dry either.

I've known a lot of folks, even some friends, who have lied, cheated, let me down, and just generally been bad sorts; never one of my dogs. How could you do anything but the best for the one creature in your life that has loved you better and more selflessly than anyone else?

10. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

2 at 8,

What a lovely tribute to your babies on that star site. Beautiful little pals.

I don't have a dog. As much as I am gone from home it would be a sin to leave an animal on it's own. But I enjoy friends pets.

11. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Dogs...God's gift to man...They are very, very special..Mizzou

12. 2horser

2horser TS Member

Dogs ask for so little and give so much...

13. Kory72

Kory72 TS Member

My Jack Russel got hit by a car about a week ago.He's gotten much better but he still cant walk on his back legs.we took him to the vet today and if he isnt walking by next saturday we have to put him to sleep:(
    Kory Shissler

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Kory,

I hope your dog gets better but if you have to put him down there are alot of folks who will be praying for you.

Luvn

15. Kory72

Kory72 TS Member

thanks luvn

16. IM390

IM390 Member

When your done at the vet, go buy yousself the best glass of Scotch money can buy and sip it real slow and enjoy every drop. When your done, go looking for another campanion.

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I skipped over the others in the thread. Been there done that quite recently. Only one good way. Have the vet come to your house. Do not take your dog to the vet. Why have that be the last thought. Dumb, dumb dumb.
    When the kindly vet gets there it is really pretty easy. They are real good at this now. They first inject a tranqualizer and muscle relaxant. You are petting old bud. He goes peacefully to sleep. They then inject potassium something which stops the heart. Very peaceful.
    Next. IMPORTANT. Make sure all his canine buds see his body. They understand death. They have been pack animals and preditors for many thousands of years. They will sniff and then walk away. If they do not see the body they will have terrible anxiety. With death they will grieve a while but they get it. MAKE SURE THEY SEE THE BODY. I can't stress it enough.
    Sorry for what you have to go through.
    Best, Jake

18. nancy

nancy TS Member

we just put down our chow that we have had for over 14 years it was the BEST dog we ever had. before her I had a cockerpoo that I had for 13 years, I brought him to the vet to be put down when they sent me out of the room hey told me the dog was done & gone. I made a promise then I will never put a dog down like that again. The chow got her shot at the house in the back yard were she like to hang out the most.digging the hole was tough BUT burying her was tougher I did not want to let her go. Before putting her down I got a cocker spanial that is now 4 years old and a new jack russell that is just 12 weeks old. She met her sister and learned to get along with her before we had to put the chow down. I will make sure I always have a dog around afterall there is NOONE that will ever forgive you and love you as much as your best friend. (with the eception of your husband or wife) sometime I think the dog is greater :) good luck to all and be glad for all the memories your best friend left you. best to all nancy

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Damn is this thread touching! We had a pound puppy that looked like a miniture Golden Retriever. SHe was 16! The last two years she got down in her back legs, hearing almost non exisiant and almost blind. When you got up close her tail would wag and she thought she was a pup again. We were wondering what and when we would do as we hated to see her aimless wandering, came home one day and found her floating in the pool. I still want to fill it in. Like Keybear I just can't make my self get another. Buried her where we can see from the kitchen table and got one of those Celtic crosses about three feet high. Yea she is in doggie heaven chasin squirrels and beggin me for a treat. Jake

20. smartass

smartass TS Member

Isn't this all just a tiny bit discriminatory? What about old cats? Don't they deserve some respect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.