1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last, best, high volume hunt in the world

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by One Eyed Left Handed, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Busting at the seams! Heading to Argentina tomorrow with Sporting Adventures International! Our Estancia is located in the middle of the largest dove roost in Cordoba. Estimated population of 50 Million doves in the province! I'm an avid trapshooter and don't shoot ATA too shabby but this has been on my bucket list.

Simply wanted to go before I got too old (58 now) and slow. Anybody been good experience or bad, please respond.

Will update anyone who responds, good or bad, forum or PM. I'm looking on the bright side and want to go again with my wife.

Eddie Quire

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Please report back to us when you return. A few of us have that hunt on our bucket list. Are you taking any guns or is the outfitter supplying your firearms?

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I envy you.. Osama bin laden took that out of my bucket... enjoy have a good time and kill a few hundred for me!!

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I overheard my dentist telling another of his clients that he'd just got back from Argentina and dove hunting and one day he shot a hundred and four boxes of shells. In an eight hour day that would be shooting five plus shots a minute without a break. Take some icey hot and dmso if you can get it on an airplane. Watch out for those beautiful Argentinian women they seem to be able to scramble the brains of some that meet them. :) Dan

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Great trip! You will love it and have a great time. Shoot one bird at a time. Do not flock shoot. If you are shooting and want to take a break, go ahead. The birds just don't stop coming.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

What guns are you taking? If you have never gotten tired of shooting a gun that will change.lol

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I hunt with Los Ombues and book with the Detail Co. out of Houston.

Last year I rented a 20 ga. 391 and took my wife. This is the best lodge for spouses...shooting or non-shooting. The amenities are 5 star and it is the only Orvis endorsed lodge in all of South America.

This year I am going with the boys and taking my own guns.

LosOmbues2-2010.jpg?t=1267636480

Parakeet.jpg

PiranhaGrande.jpg

TinasPigeon.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Once you go, nothing else is good enough. It will ruin you for bird shooting of any nature in the states.

Find your rhythm and pay attention to your body. Stay smooth not fast, and remember to breathe when you see that unending river of birds coming right at you. This is a marathon. Nice thing about Los Ombues is that they have a masseuse on staff and daily sessions are only ten bucks. Very helpful.

I lost a thumbnail from loading the 391 6500 or so times in 3 days. I would not have previously though that possible.

On guns, if you are taking your own they had better be Italian or German. Nothing else stands up to the volume of fire. The 20 ga. 391 is probably the most practical tool if you are out to kill as many as you can. A heavier 28 ga. O/U or SxS - not a light walking around gun - are the next most ideal. This year I am taking a Beretta 28 ga. 687 EL Gold Sporting II with 30" barrels.

At this time of year you can expect morning hunts of 500-750 birds, and evening hunts of 700-1200 birds if you are shooting better than 60-65% or so. The average shell to bird ratio is 2:1 from what most tell me. If you can shoot 75% or better, you are having a really good day.

Stay hydrated. Drink water. Drink at least one water for every Quilmes you have while shooting.

I fly out in three weeks and I cannot wait to go back.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

so what's the preference, 20 gauge or 28 gauge? Semi or O/U? Or can it go both ways? If going with an O/U, I assume you want a target gun as opposed to a field gun for weight purposes....

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Says something for the reliability of the 391.

Phil Berkowitz

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I found some nice high quality pics from someone who went to Argentian last year, on a hunting forum...it details their trip and such. click on the link above... This is making me want to go next winter...

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wow those pictures are amazing. I am still amazed at how you can do 1000-2500 shots per day with an O/U for three to four days straight. Seems it would be a lot less work with an Auto.

13. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

The outfitter says the 391s get to about 150K rounds or so before they become parts donors. The 687s they had in the rack were good for 250K before a rebuild.

On one good afternoon hunt we had, the guys shooting O/Us shot about 700 birds. Using an auto loader, I shot 1,100 something.

Shooting the auto is not less work. If anything, it is more.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Two of those guys in pictures are or were from my home town. I guess you never know where your picture is going to turn up. LOL Bill

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for a fixed choked 20 gauge gun, what would be a good choke combo to go with for South American doves?

16. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I found that actually loading 12ga ammo into the gun is much, much easier on the fingers that it is with loading 20ga ammo --- the 20ga port is small enough that over the course of the day I was always catching the edges of my fingers as well as the nail. The little rubber finger tip protectors help but it's still hard on the fingers. Another solution is take two 20ga and have the bird boy load them for you.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

SevenMaryThree, why do you say it's more work with an Auto? I would have thought that having to keep opening and closing an O/U every two shots would be a lot harder than loading the 391 with 5 or so and running through them. When you shoot that much per day, it would seem easier not to have to dismount the gun and keep opening and closing every two shells.

18. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I went to Los Chaneras in Feb 2008 with my Dad and it was unbelievable. I shot 5500 20 gauge shells in 2-1/2 days, we used Benelli Cordoba's with extended magazines. Empty it, loader would stuff it with more shells. Bring shooting gloves. The lodge was great, the food was great. Ice cold Quilmes.

It was a great deal then and the Argentinean peso is about 33% weaker now. Save a day or two for Buenos Aires.
    GO before you can't.

rhymeswithorange_2008_200821.jpg

19. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Took my Dad to Cordoba a few years back. Went with David Denies and stayed at Pica Zurro lodge sp? Outstanding all the way. Totally spoiled us rotten. Staff met us at the front of lodge on arrival. I never lifted anything heavier than my gun the whole time. Food excellent. Covered table with dishes, etc. in the field! Cleaned our guns during lunch for us. I shot 1100 birds a day on average over 3 days and actually got tired of shooting them and let my bird boy go at it as it is too expensive for them to do otherwise. Your ammo bill will be higher than the lodge bill...it always is. One afternoon following lunch and siesta while they broke campsite...I shot 974 birds in 1 hour 35 minutes. I took a Angleport modified 20 gauge 391 with a mercury recoil reducer front cap and a Briley closer. I HIGHLY recommend wearing a gun glove on your loading hand!!! You CAN hurt yourself with the repetition so stay calm and watch your hands and neck. On return to lodge each day, handed our drink of choice then off to the sauna followed by a neck and upper back massage then back into the sauna. Knock on sauna door..again fresh drink..signaled dinner in 30 minutes so shower time. Then eat and pass out after some motrin for the kinks in your neck from looking skyward all day. As said...you will be then RUINED for stateside dove hunting for life.
    Will send some pics as soon as I find the CD. Have a real good one to show all.

20. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I went 5 times in 6 years. It was always as good as you wanted it to be. The last few years my friends & I shot for 5 days each trip. We figured it took so long to get there and back that you should get the most out of it while you are there. We normally killed a 1000+ birds a day each on 1400 to 1700 shells. July & October always seem to be the best months to go. I usually took 20ga and 28ga O/Us. Now I would go back only if I could just shoot pigeons. Everyone is right about ruining you for U.S. dove hunting. The only thing that comes close is hunting Wood Pigeons in England.

Have a great trip!

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.