1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lasik surgery. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, at 47 years old and never wore glasses in my life, I find my eyes just aren't what they used to be....especially recently. Here's what's happening: I'm right handed, right eye dominent BUT on occasion crossfire. My left eye is very good at seeing long distance and my right eye is only good at real close (like beads) but useless at long range. This condition is getting worse. If I put a magic dot on my left lens, I can't see very well.

What is my best bet here? Prescription shooting glasses? Lasik??

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

Joe... Find a qualified ophtalmologist and get all the +'s and -'s. As routine as refractive surgery has become, there are still considerations that need to be addressed. john

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Tron,

I had the Lasik surgery about 7 years ago and it went very well. You might however need reading glasses afterwards. I was using before the surgery so..no big deal. I am happy with it.

PM me if you would like details of the whole deal.

Chris

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Joe,

I had the Lasik surgery in 1997, and so far my eyes are still cooperating. I'm 57 years old now, and would do it again instead of using glasses or contacts. I wore both of them for many years and hated every minute of them.

There are some draw backs to having Lasik surgery. The biggest drawback for me is the dry eyes. When the weather is windy or little humidity, I can't keep my focus on the targets. My eyes start to bother me, and I use allot of eye drops. I live in Southern California, and it gets real dry here. We get Santa Ana winds whipping through here, and that just destroys my ability to see the targets. I can't be dropping eye drops in my eyes between shots.

The second drawback to having Lasik is reading. You must have light on in the room to be able to read. You can just forget about reading anything (labels on bottles, instructions how to cook, etc. without there being lights on.

If you can put up with the kinds of issues I described, then I recommend it. I would not go back to the way it was before lasik.

Kevin

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I think tipping the trap help would be your best bet! Tom Rhoads

6. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Tron,

I had what they called custom lasik going on 2 years ago.
    Wore glasses for a year, and my eyes weren't really that bad.
    Decided because of this sport to try and clear up the bird a bit...
    It was by far the best decision I have made. Amazing what I wasn't seeing prior to having it done. Now My eyes are back to 20/12 in both eyes. I would have paid 10 x's the amount if I had known it would be this good. Just my opinion, but I say get it done, you wont regret it.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Now thats funny right there Tom

8. Ceil

Ceil Member

Tron
    I'm like you. Had good eyesight until age took its toll. My eye doctor, who is a Lasik surgeon, told me I would be better off with glasses than having the surgery. I shoot right handed but am left eye dominant. I put tape on my glasses and go on down the road. I use prescription Dycots.
    Ceil

9. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I did would pay much more than the surgery cost to be back where I started. I was near sighted in both eyes, after 3 tries I am exactly where you are now, I see well with my off-eye and am still a bit near sighted (20/40) in my shooting eye. I have extreme dry eyes, I have to put in drops before I get out of bed. The literature quotes all kinds of wonderful statistics, 99% 20-40 or better, but if you are in in the 1%, it is 100% bad for you. My doctor had done several thousand was supposed to be the man. As long as you can correct well with prescription glasses, I would never recommend having lasik.

Michael

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had RK years ago, it worked ok but when my eyes dilate at night I see streaks on most objects, if your eyes are not too bad, you could always get some disposable contacts for the eye you want to enhance.

tony

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You need to wear shooting glasses anyway right? Just get an up to date RX and a decent set of frames that allow easy lense changes.

Cheaper than surgery and no risk.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have considered lasik for 5 years, but my eye doc. says it would help me for hunting and watching TV, and thats about it. I usually have to wear some type of glasses for most of the stuff I do. Sunglasses, safety glasses, shooting glasses, or reading glasses (Computer time or blue prints) are normally on my melon anyway.

The most frustrating thing about glasses is when they fog up dovehunting or duck hunting. Rain sucks too.

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Tron, my wife had her Lasik done at the Toledo Lasik center in Toledo, Ohio 419-346-2020. I am thinking you are in MI so that should be somewhat close to you. We could not be more happy with the results. She is 4 years out and still has 20/20. She had very poor eye sight prior to the procedure.
    Doug Allison

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My advise is check out the doctor doing it. Make sure he or she has done several thousand. Also ask about dry eye syndrome it is not often talked about but happens often. I had lens transplants done a few years ago and sufer from dry eyes, much better as time goes by. But something to think about. Jim Creighton had it done a few months ago if you want to talk to him call me. 906-869-9959. Be very careful!

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

John is right! Go to an opthamologist and get the procs and cons and number one to see if you are a candidate. Not all people are candiates for this. DO NOT go to somebody that advertises Lasik or some slash and cash outfit as they are called by many. The opthamologist will recommend a very qualified Doctor. Do not go by what you heard somebody say or they had good luck etc.

16. leadvail

leadvail Member

They all said I would go blind if I kept it up, but lastik took care of that 6 years ago... Now my hair is falling out, is there a connection?

17. leadvail

leadvail Member

Dear Abby, Thay say you will go blind if you keep it up, but Lasik saved me about 6 years ago I guess.

I also had Mono done, one eye for distance, non shooting eye for reading. I love it. Now my hair is falling out. Is there a connection?

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The stats are closer to 80 percent fine, and half of the remaining 20 pecent can be made acceptable with another surgery. that last 10 percent is the problem. Some are blind for life. Some have to have several more surgeries to get enough eyesight to be able to drive. I was legally blind after lasik in 2004. Several proceedures by an eye surgeon got me at least functional. I had to have a daytime only restriction to drive. Now, I have been repaired enough to drive unrestricted but have to wear thick bi-focals to do it. Even with glasses, I only see about 20-40. Everything is a struggle. My eyes cannot be worked on again because thers is not enough tissue left to work with. Because of my experiences, I have ended up meeting many people who have their lives damaged due to Lasik. Aslo, it is not like I had it done by a foreign Dr. in a strip mall for $259. I went to a big name Dr. with a large, impressive facility, who had the latest and greatest equipment (and charged the highest price)

I know what good eyesight is, I was winning medals on a National level shooting an Iron sighted Rifle 800-900 and 1000 yards with a simple pair of glasses. Now I struggle to shoot a .22 at 25 yards with iris's and diopter attachments.

The question you have to ask, is are you willing to be one of the 10% that are forever troubled to be try to be one of the 80% that are ok? How about the 5% that now push a red tipped white cane around? Spend the evening doing a google search on "failed Lasik" Pay your money, toss the dice, pay the price.

19. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Just a note here. When your eye Dr. does not highly recommend the treatment possibly because he is LOSING you as a client--I am 61 and should have done this 18 years ago. The next day the world is soooo different. Very clear vision-I would highly recommend the procedure. Don't be intimidated by the forms that you will need to sign.You will sign forms for most any procedure. I would seek out the best there is to do the surgery. My Dr.is from the world renowned Massachusetts Eye and Ear and is a Harvard medical school staff member. These guys know their stuff and if you cannot benefit from the surgery--they will tell you. Their reputation is paramount! Go for it.

20. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Just the facts. There's no need scaring someone with untruths (wait, I forgot what site I was on for a minute!):

"There has not been one case of blindness in any FDA Laser Vision study since the studies initially began in the early 1990's."

"The FDA recognizes LASIK and PRK as proven, safe and effective. Laser vision correction uses a cool (non-thermal) beam of light that is computer controlled. The surgeon turns the laser on and is able to turn it off at any moment. Many safeguards are in place to reduce the risk of error. However, risks are associated with any surgical procedure.

Although no one knows the exact number of complications, studies suggest that the incidence of minor difficulties such as dry eyes and nighttime glare is around 3 percent to 5 percent, while the risk of serious incidents such as lost vision is thought to be less than 1 percent. There are no known cases of blindness from LASIK or PRK. Again, outcomes generally are very good."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lasik good idea forum