1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laser for Picatinny

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am looking for a high quality sight for a home defense application. I had a $30 unit that is "junk" but I got it work. I am setting up a new gun and want something better.

I have seem some that are $1000+ and that is too expensive. Before investing $150-$250 on a better unit, I would like to know if any of you can offer experienced advice or refer me to a forum that can assist me.

Ideally I would like to find something for $100 or so. I will go as high as $250 if that is where I need to be.

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Don,

Check out the discount red dots offered by Primary Arms (see link above.)

Even the picky folks on arfcom admit that for a low cost sight you get good quality.

3. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I have a small green LaserMax on my glock 19 which is great for home defense. It was in your price range and works great. Super easy to see day or night. No good in freezing weather (likevall green lasers) but although I am cheap, I keep my house within a temp range where it works great :)

Dan

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry about that Don, I had red dots on my mind. But Primary Arms carries lasers too. See link above.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

LaserMax, Laserlyte, and Crimson Trace are good, many many others are junk or rebranded junk.

This is my favorite rail mounted laser, you can buy it for $199 and worth every penny.

opplanet-laserlyte-carbine-green-laser-system-k-15.gif

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Thanks SBE,

I have a POS I got on Ebay so I was hoping someone who had some experience using a "good" unit could help out.

I am not Rambo wannabe, but I believe in having good equipment for SHTF situations. There are no do overs. Hopefully never need to use it except for practice and plinking.

One question. I hear green lasers will not perform in the cold. What has been your experience?

Thanks,

Don Verna

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The green dot lasers are worth the extra money. They perform much better in daylight situations and perform equally as well at night. Since its color is closer to the center of the color spectrum it is easier for the human eye to see as compared to the red and other colored lasers on the market. The green laser is more powerful and more intense due to its wavelength size making it useful at much greater distances.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is a company called Laser Devices,Inc. They make really good lasers for Picatinny Rail Apps., not cheap, but when you need it, you need it.

Phil Berkowitz

9. sliverbulletexpress

I have not had any problems with the green laser in cold weather but I haven't used mine that I can remember colder than about 30F.

10. sliverbulletexpress

I do agree with Phil, Laser Devices make some very high quality units but they are pricey, worth it if you can afford them.

My understanding of the issue with lasers and cold weather is the batteries, a laser needs full voltage to work so if it drops a little they just don't work at all unlike a flashlight that gets dim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.