1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laser Bore Sighting for 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chugiakshooter, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Has anyone used a laser to bare sight there trap gun? And find out it don't shoot in the right spot and have to do some major adjusting on the stock to make it work.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, I have used one. I made an adapter that fits in the choke tube and accepts the rod on the laser. It works well and gives good feedback on where the gun is pointed. I used it to set an adjustable comb by projecting the laser on a building wall that was 20 yards away. The laser I have will show up at 100 yards in the daytime.

Jim Skeel

3. trapster100

trapster100 Member

Quote:
    "The laser I have will show up at 100 yards in the daytime. "

Do you weld with that also?

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Yes...a club member put a laser down the muzzle of my new SBT in broad daylight...told me to aim at a car brake light reflector about 40 yards away.
    Sure enough, the gun was shooting low left by a foot. We were able to adjust the comb and got the POI just about perfect. Saved a lot of time and money on the patterning board and frustration on the line.

Smok'n Joe

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Make sure the laser bore sight fit tight in the barrel. If it don't it will drop and and at 30 yards it could show that you are shooting low. So be carefull. I found out the hard way.
    If the laser fit your barrel good then it will work good.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have used the chamber style laser bore sighters in both my rifle and rifled shotgun for slugs. I really have not used in my trap gun but now I am curious to where that red dot shows up.

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

You have to presume the laser itself is "good"; i.e. concentric within the dummy case, and aimed parallel to its long axis. Otherwise you may find yourself trusting a faulty equipment.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The laser I used is designed to bore sight a rifle. It has a long, thin shaft at its base which is designed to fit into the rifle bore and is centered with o-rings placed on the shaft. I machined a brass plug to fit inside the choke tube and drilled a hole in the plug to fit the shaft on the end of the laser.

Jim Skeel

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wouldn't it be easier, and more accurate, to shoot a few empty target boxes at 13 yards from a rest?

Pat Ireland

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use one to make sure my Perazzi adjustable comb is set correctly.

WW

11. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I have killed quite of few boxes and didn't seem to get the same results as with the laser.I found my gun shot high which is not a problem but way to the right.Adjusted the comb and it seemed to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sighting in 12gauge issue