1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laser bore sighters ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a laser bore sight. I need several caliburs but for now I really need the 17 cal. I see some that look like a cartridge and fit right in the chamber rather than the muzzle. That looks to me like it would be more effective. I would like to hear some comments on laser bore sights from you rifle shooters. ( actually they make a 12 ga too)

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lew, I have one if you want to borrow it and get first hand experience yourself. Bulge

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

My personal experience is with a SL-100 Slite Mag Laser. It cost $100.00, has two adapters that allow useage on 22's to 12ga and everything in between using rubber grommets.

It is not the best, but it helps and I can dial in a shotgun, pistol or rifle a lot quicker than without it. It does have a little wobble using the grommets, so you have to be very certain and steady when using this unit.

4. cubancigar2000

Bulge - you are one of the nicest guys on TS. Thx for your generous offer but I have a friend here local who will let me borrow. I am going to buy one today I think, just wanted some opionions on brands etc. Thx again Mike

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Sorry I cant help with the 17 cal but here is a little trick that I use with the 12 ga model from cabelas, First put one layer of packing tape ( the clear kind that you use to seal and send packages ) around the brass part of the laser, this will help to center it in the Chamber ( they are a little sloppy if you dont do this ) then take a 20 ga, empty hull and pop the old primer out of it and insert in ( opened end first ) into the muzzle of your gun (usually goes in tight with a full choke ) now the laser beam should be passing tru the priner hole in the 20 ga hull, this way you know that it is very close to center of the bore, without this you just dont know if it is centered... Have fun

6. cubancigar2000

That is pretty clever Dr

7. Rick Barker

okay, I have a question in regard to using a laser in the chamber of a shotgun, instead of the muzzle. Isn't the bend in the barrel going to give you a false reading? I am not to sure a muzzle laser for shotguns is all the reliable either, but it has helped me determine if a barrel is shooting right left or low.

8. WarEagle2017

Bend in the Barrel ((( Thaaaaaa )))) You must have gotten your barrel from Earl Bangs,,,,, The master Barrel Bender !!!!! LOL
    I dont have NO Bend in My Barrels-------------------->

9. Rick Barker

drhuner

Have you ever "read" your shotgun barrel? If you look thru it from the muzzle end, with bright light, you will see a series of "rings" If a barrel shoots straight, the rings will be concentric. If your barrel shoots high, the smaller rings will sit higher.

You can really see this effect in a dramatic fashion if you take a 12ga hull, deprimed, and chop off all the plastic, leaving the brass (or steel) base. Take a 20 ga shell again deprimed, and leave at least 1/4 inch of plastic above the brass rim.

Stick the 20 ga end in the muzzle and look through the 12 ga primer hole at bright light at the muzzle end. The rings will stand out and look like a bulls-eye. If you have more than shotgun, test them all. Barrel bending was used to make a shotgun shoot high before high ribs.

OMG! I may have started another another raft of threads with people telling me I'm full of it and all kinds of data to say I'm wrong.

10. WarEagle2017

I am going to LEAVE THIS ONE ALONE !!!! It isn't worth the agravation that it could derive. I stick with My Idea ( to get Me close ) then on to the patterning Board.....

11. Rick Barker

drhuner

If you have ever heard of Stan Baker, he bent more barrels than most people have shoot clay birds. In my first thread, I too said use a laser to get close, the fine tuning should be accomplished with the right shell, the adjustable comb and rib and a patterning board. Find your POI, then pattern density. I have over 20 trap guns, not all the barrels are the same. My Ljutic has a 90/10 pattern with a mid-rib. Looking over the rib, vs. thru the barrel does not show me the same thing. I have a Gamba that shoots to the left. I verified this with the laser and the "rings" when I used the shell ends. My Remingtons are all dead on, 50/50, one Model 12 shoots high another flat, the laser and the "rings" verified this too, and on and on and on.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use a laserlyte brand but unfortunately they have one for 17 and 22 or 22 to 50 cal. They stick in the barrel, not the chamber and I have set numerous guns with them and then shot them and only be off two or three inches at a hundred yards. Never had one that fits the shotguns though. I had the ones that fit in the chamber and are fitted by o rings. They are ok but you can use the laserlyte in one third the time it takes to set up the other. Jackie B.

13. cubancigar2000

Jackie, Thx, thats exactly what I was looking for

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought this style above , worked ok in my AR. I had to wait until dusk to see the laser well at 30 meters. I used it to sight in my iron sights. Got me very close. I have not seen one for .17 or 22 that actually goes in the chamber.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Using the deprimed 12 ga hull cut and 20ga deprimed and partial plastic cut off and sighting down through the 12 ga deprimed hull and looking at the reflection of the rings will tell you if the Bbl is straight if narrower at the top or the bottom the Bbl has been bent.

I have a pair of them in my shooting drawer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chamber vs muzzle bore sighter

chamber vs muzzle laser bore sight

laser boresighters useful

muzzle bore sighters

muzzle laser sight