1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laser Bore Sighter Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Anybody ever use one of these lasers for thier 12 ga. trap guns. I had a guy tell me he used it on his and his sons, and it worked great. I was thinking of getting one to try it on my kids trap guns, but before I spend the money I thought I would ask everyone that might have done this.

2. whopper1

whopper1 Member

It all depends on the accuracy of the laser. Some have adjustments to calibrate accuracy. The way to test them is to put it in a v-block. Mark a spot on a wall where the laser hits then rotate it 90 degrees. Do this at 90, 180, 270, and 360 degrees. I have bought one recently that was $39.00 at a gun show and it is dead nuts on. Personaly, I like them.

Dave

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Main problem is getting one to fit tightly in the chamber and be aligned with the bore at the same time. Much harder in shotguns than in rifles. Some rifel-shooting club members bought one that has a shotgun adapter but it doesn't fit the chambers well enough to be useful.

MK

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The one I tried several years ago did not work very well.

Pat Ireland

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I'm looking for a reality check.

Whopper questions the accuracy of the laser beam itself. Unknown1 questions the ability to get the laser sighter properly in the chamber while having the laser beam aligned with the bore.

If we can arbitrarily assume the beam is accurate and that the unit is properly aligned in the chamber, I'm still troubled by the alignment of the beam with the bore.

What if the chamber isn't aligned particularly well with the bore? For example, how about a barrel that someone intentionally bent to change the poi? I just don't see how one can assume a laser beam originating from a barrel's chamber will necessarily be aligned with the bore.

It seems the muzzle - not the chamber - is the critical end. Wouldn't an accurate laser properly aligned in a shotgun's muzzle be a more reliable way to measure poi with a laser??

sissy

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What would you reference the laser off of?

Guns without choke tubes have the choke constriction area to contend with. Since choke constrictions are generally swagged into the barrel they can easily be off-center or crooked.

Guns with choke tubes offer some possibilities but each has drawbacks:<ul><li>make a screw-in laser housing that replaces the choke; now you need a separate housing for each choke style and thread pitch and there is no way to guarantee that the choke bore and threads are perfectly square with the barrel bore

<LI>make a laser housing to slip into the bore past the choke area; you have a number of bore sizes to deal with and you need a simple way to get the laser body true and tight in all of them

<li>Make a laser housing that fits into the empty choke bore; probably the simplest to execute but still requires a housing for each gauge and a simple way to both center and secure the laser in the barrel</UL>

The chamber is the simplest place to put the laser; it just doesn't offer enough precision to make the thing work.

MK

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

What are you trying to accomplish with the laser? Just because you can shoot a beam of light straight down the barrel has nothing to do with POI or anything else relavent to clay bird shooting that I can think of. Put the pattern on paper, make sure the gun fits your preferred site picture and POI, and see how it all works on clay birds.

Good luck, Marc

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I bought one of these doo-dads from Cabela's. I like a flat shooting gun. I shoot a Beretta with the adjustable rib. After about 3 flats of shells I got everything where I was really smacking the targets. I put the laser in the gun, stacked the beads and at 13 yards the red dot was sitting right on top of the front bead. My dad shoots a 1970 Bt-99 I can't shoot it for sh** because it shoots way too high for me. I did the same thing, and the red dot was high and a little right. So, I guess in my experience the thing worked, but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from shooting the guns. Spend the money on shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.