1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lasagna (Still trying) But getting closer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MOst of us love lasagana, but I struggle makeng it at home. We do not have it often, just a couple times a year and that is not oftenenough to learn from my mistakes. So, I found this recipe online and decided it looked different enough to giv eit a try. An it mostly turned out pretty good. I did not cheat much on the items or quantities, but here is the finished product coming out of the oven
    [​IMG]

And here is a portion view...
    [​IMG]

I follwed the recipe as best I could. I do not run to the store to get items, so the things I have on hand had to do. I did substitute dry herbs ratehr than fresh, used about 1/3 less ital sausage, and 16 oz of ricotta. It had plenty of meat and ricotta. I mixed the 16 oz ricotta with about a cup of water and that made it easier to spread and added some additioanl mousture to the dish to percolate thru the lasagna noodles.

I think if I were doing it again, I would use a taller sided dish and go with 3 layers of noodles, bu tusing the same quantities of the sauce and cheeze mixtures.

Feel free to kabitz this. I will learn too. The recipe above is well written and illustrated. If you are the cook of the family (like me) bookmark this fo ra try.

Jack

Ice out on the ST Croix this morning. Thought it was gone, but this junk ice may be coming all day now. th eSt Croix is a huge river of about20 miles long and near 1/2 mile wide and 50 to 70' deep. It is the border between MN and WI.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Ya gotta burn the edges (or at least make them crunchy). Awesome pics.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jack you're making me hungry.

Some like to boil the noodles prior to assembly, but there is more than enough moisture to cook them while in the oven. I generally use a little Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese along with the Ricotta.

Like stokinpls stated, make the edges crunchy. I generally broil mine for a few minutes prior to removeal to make the edges crunchy and brown the cheese on top.

No matter how deep of a pan you use, you'll put enough ingrediants in to fill it up! Yummy:)

ss

4. Mike

Mike Member

Nice pics Jack, here's recipe for Skillet (Lazy) Lasagna:
    28oz diced tomatoes
    1T olive oil
    1 onion, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/8t red pepper flakes
    1# ground meat
    10 lasagna noodles in 2" lengths
    8oz tomato sauce
    1/2c + 2T Parm cheese
    1c ricotta
    3T chopped fresh basil
    salt

add water to tomatoes until = 1 qt. in 12" non stick skillet w/ lid, heat oil, add onion, 1/2t salt, garlic and pepper flakes. add meat, cook until not pink. scatter pasta over top, don't stir. pour tomatoes + tomato sauce over. cover, bring to simmer, reduce heat to med-low simmer 20", remove from heat. stir in 1/2c parm cheese. salt + pepper to taste. dot w/ heaping tablespoons of ricotta, cover still off heat, let stand 5", sprinkle w/ basil and remaining 2T parm cheese.

not authentic, but quick, easy, tastey, Mik

5. Mike

Mike Member

If interested i've got a recipe for potato lasgna w/ swiss cheese, bacon, leeks and a herb cream sauce that's tastey, Mik

6. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

MIA next time you leave the Minneapolis gun club on the way home stop at Cossetta Italian market on 7th st. in Saint Paul. There you can buy lasagna already made stick in your oven and it's easy. And hard to beat. One stop at Cossettas and you will be a life long customer. On one side you will find all your Italian ingredients and I mean every thing. The other side you can pick what you want to eat already made.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A little fresh spinach and basil goes a long way towards the end goal of the the perfect lasagna. But it looks like you are closing in with your latest creation, good stuff.

8. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Fresh herbs, good ricotta cheese, fresh if you can get it. and great sausage are a must haves for great lasagna. We grow our herbs, make our own sausage, and make a great lasagna...it ain't bragging if you can do it!!

We never make just one, we always make at least 2 and often 4 at a time. It freezes very well. It is kinda of kitchen mess maker, so you might as well go ahead and make a few more for future use. We also use the no-boil noodles that saves some time and it still turns out great. It's even better the next day or the day after that...so make 'em big enough for at least 2 meals!

Somebody said BACON! Never used bacon in my lasagna, but it sure does sound good!

We also make spagettii pies...spag. noodles, egg, milk, chesse, chicken or sausage, red or cream sauce, in throw away alum. pie plates...they too freeze very well and make great quick suppers.

Wish I could post the recipes....seems our 22 year old daughter has borrowed the recipe box to copy and put on a CD! We have discovered that once you find a great recipe, that becomes your basic prep, from there you can experiment to make it your own....keep good notes on your mods, it easy to forget!

Years ago we used to cook all week-end, freeze, thaw and re-heat for week day suppers. We actually saved a lot of money by just buying for the menu planned. Saved alot of time during the week when we both worked. Had a lot of fun in the kitchen, great family time,....of course it did swell our girth!!

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Thats a good looking lasagna alright.

I'm definitely a noodle boiler before assembly. I know you don't have to but to me, it comes out better.

Sausage, a lttle more Italian seasoning, basil and oregano than they call for and it comes out mighty good.

I go with 3 layers personally. A little sauce on the bottom before the first layer of noodles.

Oh, and I put mushrooms in mine!

I'm getting hungry!

10. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Yum!

That is cruel to share just pics.

Now you got me thinkin.

tom

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sometimes I make the noodles using eggplant sliced about a quarter inch thick, browned in a little olive oil, use in place of pasta.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here ya go:

Super Lasagna

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound sweet Italian sausage

3/4 pound lean ground beef

1/2 cup minced onion

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves

1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 tablespoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

12 lasagna noodles

16 ounces ricotta cheese

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

MIA,

I read your post and it put the bug in my ear.

My wifes makes one of the best Northern Italian style lasagna I've ever eaten!

We invited our neighbor over a few years ago and he said that "it tasted just like his grandmothers."

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

14. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Ithaca$$$Grade I will take you up on that offer.

15. emm2

emm2 Member

The lasagna sure looks good but what a beautiful view from your deck.

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

M and M

We live on the bluff as you can see. Usually we are just about 4 stories above the water. It's like living in a hirise. It is neat. My office is 60' fro the water. We are the furthest most West property in Wisconsin. Actually. 100 yards out into the river begins MN.

17. shooterguy

shooterguy TS Member

I fry a little pepperoni first in the pan I make the sauce in. Gives it a little more flavor and a little more meat. I don't think there is a wrong way to make it but it never comes out like Mom's.

Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.