1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Las Vegas Shooting Park Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trim tab, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Supporters of shooting range prevail

All but one challenge dismissed

By ADRIENNE PACKER

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

The legal battle over a controversial 2,900-acre shooting park appears to be over, meaning gun

enthusiasts will likely pack up their weapons and head to the public facility when it opens late this

year.

Senior U.S. District Judge Lloyd George on Monday dismissed most of the claims lodged by residents

who filed a lawsuit in an attempt to stop construction of the park north of Moccasin Road between

Decatur Boulevard and Buffalo Drive.

Homeowners argued they were not properly informed of the proposed use of the land, that a

shooting range would violate county noise ordinances and that the appropriate environmental impact

studies were never performed on the land.

George tossed out all but one claim. He declined to dismiss the argument concerning the

environmental impact because the Bureau of Land Management is in the midst of its own study. The

BLM, which conveyed the land to the county, is analyzing whether the range would significantly and

adversely affect the land, a ruling that could require further studies. The report is expected to be

released Aug. 3.

Deputy District Attorney Rob Warhola said he believes George's ruling marks the end of the legal

wrangling. Residents may file an appeal with the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but by the time

that process runs its course the park probably will be done.

Even if the BLM decides that more environmental work needs to be done, the county would complete

the required work and finish the park.

"We did so much out there already, I can't imagine they'd find any (additional work) anyway,"

Warhola said. "If they do, we'll just do it."

Attorney Matthew Callister, who in the past has referred to the park as "Disneyland with guns," was

out of town Tuesday and could not be reached for comment.

The county began planning the park in the early 1980s and the land was transferred to the county in

2003. Between the time the park was designed and the time the construction began, development in

the Las Vegas Valley crept up to its border.

Warhola said master plans outlining future projects are available at the county. The designation for

the shooting park land was "public facility."

"Most of them (residents) moved out there after the zoning was approved for the shooting park,"

Warhola said. "If they would have just looked and asked to see what public facility meant they would

Supporters of shooting range prevail - News - Review Journal.com http://www.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Supporters...

1 of 2 5/13/2009 9:13 AM

have seen it was a shooting park."

In the past, residents said they believed a public facility designation on the land meant a park,

library or school.

George sided with the county in ruling that the sellers of homes are required by law to disclose

master plan designations of property within a one-mile radius of the property being sold.

Homeowners also unsuccessfully argued that the county failed to provide adequate notice of its

intent to build the range or keep residents posted about Shooting Park Advisory Committee

meetings. George also rejected the argument that the county improperly zoned the land.

The first phase of the park will cover 900 acres and cost around $64 million. The park, which

ultimately will be the largest shooting range in the country, will include a 1,200-yard high-power

rifle range, 125 trap ranges and 24 skeet ranges.

Warhola said the first phase should be completed by the end of the year.

Contact reporter Adrienne Packer at apacker@reviewjournal.com or 702-384-8710.

Find this article at:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/44869772.html

SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

Check the box to include the list of links referenced in the article.

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal, 1997 - 2008

Go Green! Subscribe to the electronic Edition at www.reviewjournal.com/ee/

Supporters of shooting range prevail - News - ReviewJournal

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

WOW 125 trap fields ?????

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Move the Grand to Vegas in October!!! Thousands of inexpensive rooms, good food and cheap airfare.

4. bocephus

bocephus Member

Hey that is just what I was telling my son, same time too. That would really be nice to see.

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

You know they will never move the Grand to Vegas. It makes too much sense.

6. smp005

smp005 Member

This sucks!!! I sold my house in Vegas!!!

I might just have to move back - tired of the humidity on Ohio anyway.. :)

Hey - maybe I can buy a house right next to the facility from some distraught homeowner.. Hah!

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Boomer -

When was the last time you were in Vegas, or on an airplane?

Scott

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Plenty of hotel rooms, entertainment, good food, 4 hours from L.A., DRY HEAT!, etc. Good excuse for the snow birds to come west. Fred

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yeah, move it from the central part of the country and the majority of the shooter base to the west coast. That sounds like a good formula for disaster.

Don

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

How about a WEST COAST GRAND in conjunction with the Grand?
    Dave

11. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Scott--I was in Vegas in January and March. I'll be back in August. I go about 3 times a year! When I'm there, I always get in a day at Desert Lakes Sporting Clays! And, exactly, why do you care when I'm there or in an airplane??

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The deals in LasVegas are unreal because the economy has had an adverse effect on them also ... I was just there and though there were a lot of people there it was nothing like it usually is ... The rooms and food are more reasonable now than they have been for a long time to promote people to stay or eat in certain places ... I got some free nights from Harrahs so I obviously will have to go back soon to use them ... Prime rib dinners @ $9.95 that were off the chart good with all of the trimmings ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Move the Grand? Financially it would be better off near the area with the largest shooter base and the needed customer support infrastructure....

You guys figure it out (and Illinois is not the venue).

Curt

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the majority of trapshooting clubs and people are east of the big river.

Skeet-Sporting Clays & Trapclubs. Map from claytargetsonline.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OK....let's try a test:

1. "Honey, do you want to go to Sparta?"

2. "Honey, do you want to go to Las Vegas?"

Which do you think she will say yes to?

16. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Before you all make your long term travel plans, there's a couple of things you should know about this facility.

1. It is being built in phases. The first phase used federal funds that are given to the locals when federal land is sold to the private sector. That totaled about 65 million bucks, give or take. So, in a way, you own the place.

2. The first phase includes two dozen, plus or minus, combo trap and skeet fields. There's a campground, host area, buildings, other ranges for rifle/pistol, etc also in the first phase.

3. The "125 fields" would only occur at complete build out, which is probably not going to happen, since building the other phases is dependent on operating revenues that are going to be much less than the business plan says and, it goes without saying, that not much federal land is being sold for development, so funds from the S.Nev Public Land Mgt Act are going to be few to nonexistent. In any case SNPLMA funds can be used only for construction, not O and M.

4. In this economy, they will struggle to make their operating revenues out of the gate receipts and just staying open will be a huge challenge. The county commissioners are not really in a position to augment the park's budget, since they're hurting financially like every other governmental entity.

5. If the park fails,(and hopefully it won't), it will occur after the probable shut down of the LV Gun Club,leaving no place to shoot. That will hurt the bunker guys too, since LVGC has a bunker and I believe the Oly facility at the new park is in the second or third phase. 8 guys are going to be really pissed off.(Just kidding, the bunker guys are good people).

6. My opinion is that we'll probably end up with a very nice facility that is one of the largest trap ranges on the West Coast, but still too small to host the Grand and that it will struggle from its inception to stay open. I'm not sure anyone would want to stand out in the Mohave Desert heat in August and shoot trap anyway. But, heh, it's a dry heat.(I spent a year in Iraq and I didn't notice much difference in summer temps!).

7. Although it's water under the bridge, one wonders what an investment of a million dollars and a commitment to provide a buffer around the existing LV Gun Club could have achieved, at least for the shot gun sports crowd.

Shoot well and often

Russ Roberts
    LV, NV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.