1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Las Vegas shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by white rattler, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white rattler

white rattler Member

Does anyone know what the wind is doing at the shoot? I watched the Drag Races last night and the wind was picking up pretty good. And we all know that it can blow in Vegas. Trevor Dawe

2. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

The Neveda State Shoot has been cancelled. The wind was so strong they cancelled the doubles and handicap championships....

3. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

April Fools? They really canceled?

4. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

NO April Fools - - they really did canceled it.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

No April Fools joke.

The Doubles and Handicap championship events were cancelled.

The In-State titles will be shot concurrently with the Western Zone Doubles and Handicap Championship events at Spring Creek (July 22nd).

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What were the wind velocities that canceled the two events?

Hap

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Anyone know?

Hap

8. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

The winds at n lv airport were 24 to 36 mph from the north at 9:00 am. Forecast to increase. The gun club is up the hill and nothing to block the wind

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

winds were 20-35 with gusts to 55. Some of the shooter's tried practice rounds, but you could not hold the gun still or yourself. It was a great shoot with a great turnout, but taking everything into consideration the right decision was made to cancel the last two events.

10. Fishstyx

Fishstyx TS Member

We were told it was cancelled for safety reasons. If that's the case why were people shooting an hour later? Could have shot handi first then doubles when the wind did go down, or shot both on Monday. Poor decision making.

11. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Bad PR for Vegas. No shoots were cancelled for wind at the old club or even back to Bob Taylors days.

Maybe the wind blows stronger now. Or, protecting scores?

12. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

I must say that we were disappointed with the cancellation of the events today in Las Vegas. But I will add that I saw that this was not an easy decision for the staff and I am quite certain that they had all parties best interests in mind. This was our first shoot at the new complex and to a man we will all be back. This is a wonderful property and Steve C., Tony D., and staff worked their tails off to provide us with a great experience. I believe this was the biggest Nevada State Shoot on record.

Steve

13. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Please allow me to preface the following post by saying that the Clark County Shooting Facility is a very nice place to shoot and one of the Premier Facilties in the Country. The Nevada State shoot had a few problems due to poor planning, and use of the Pre-Squad website. Thank God for Donnie, Bob, and Clyde, because without them handling the squadding nightmare that occured because of the "Pre-Squad now, Pay later" ordeal there would have been many more 2 shooter squads than there already was.

Wind Blowing? Yes it was blowing, it blew ALL week anywhere from 5mph to 25mph. Sunday it was blowing 25-30 mph, And as fishstyx posted it was a hasty decision to cancel rather than reschedule or wait a little while longer and the fact that people were shooting BEFORE and AFTER the Officials were deciding what to do denounces the SAFETY issue that was given to the shooters.

HAP, the Wind velocity numbers previously posted are in the ball park, the 2010 Arizona State shoot final day events are a good comparison as that was about what we were dealing with in Las Vegas Sunday. Using Safety as a reason to cancel the shoot didn't sit well with the non-resident shooters who made the trip and investment to attend this shoot, especially when the HOA and HAA events were not decided as advertised, and there were several very close races, However the Resident HOA and HAA WILL have the OPPORTUNITY to be decided as advertised.

I do not believe the decision to cancel was as hard as renosteve states in the above post, it was probably fairly easy to decide if You look at the names of the HOA and HAA winners, if you can find a list of them anywhere, as they were the ones in the ears of the officials along with the normal "I'm withdrawing because this will screw up my average" Shooters, and as One of the Officials stated within earshot of some of the shooters "this will cost a fortune because of all the targets being wasted when the wind sets off the speakers".

Windy? Yes it was Windy, Costly to wait, or postpone to Monday? Probably not, with the ability to hand pull the events so as not to "cost a fortune" to the club. But the Good thing about them cancelling the event was everyone got to go back to their Hotel Rooms and Watch the Michael Jordan Celebrity Golf Tournament or the N.H.R.A Drag races on T.V.--- that were being held in ................ LAS-VEGAS

Mark

14. warren

warren Member

I was there and I'm telling you it was the right decision, I was in my trailor that I use for trapshoots and it was really rocking. Some of the shooters in trailors took a chance and pulled them home in that wind but it was dangerous and I decided to wait. It was not just windy in Las Vegas the whole state and eastern Calif. was in the same shape. I've been shooting for years and weather can interfere anytime not just at Las Vegas. As for shooting later I saw a couple of shooters up next to the clubhouse shooting later in the day but the wind did not die down until the next mourning and that's when I took off. Up until Sunday the weather was perfect and the shoot was well done.

warren

15. Shoot Vegas!

Shoot Vegas! Member

I just wanted to clarify the unified decision by the NSTA Board to cancel the Sunday events of the Nevada State Shoot. This was an extremely difficult decision to make and was in no way influenced by how anyone was shooting or positioned in the competition.

The safety of all of our customers is paramount, and winds were predicted to accelerate during the day, and continue into Monday. The location of our facility will experience the maximum in wind velocities when coming from the Northwest. Severe winds finally subsided at 7pm on Monday evening.

Technology-wise, we have also somewhat boxed ourselves into a corner. While the manual release button on the wired Canterbury systems is acceptable, the release button on the wireless systems is totally unsatisfactory. Shooters would have been extremely disappointed with the manual release of the wireless system. Had winds been slightly less, and we would have tried to put shooters on the line with this, frustration levels would have only increased in the already difficult conditions. Had we tried to use the mics with voice release, yes, we would have had multiple targets released without being called for, but that would not have been (and was not) a reason for cancelling the events.

When dealing with unprecedented conditions such as we experienced, we will feel the fall-out from this for some time to come. I hope that you will accept the fact that we felt we did the best that we could do with this. There are no written contingency plans for a weather event of this magnitude.

Have I personally shot in worse conditions? Possibly- over 30 years ago. Would I want to do it again? Probably not.

I want to thank all of those that came. We had classified over 380 shooters by Friday morning. We certainly hope you will come and shoot with us again.

Steve Carmichael, Program Administrator

Clark County Shooting Complex

16. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Steve,

You have a great facility there. Shot the Fall Handicap last year

and had a great time.

I think you made a wise and prudent decision. I know it must

have been very difficult for you. Keep up the great work!!

Mike C. Groveland, CA

17. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Back to Spring Creek in June for the Nevada State Shoot. Crappy targets, nice weather and great Basque food in Elko. And don't forget the millions of mormon crickets you get to run over on the way there. LOL

18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I can completely relate to this. The inaugural Las Vegas 1000 last year was the same. I believe there was winds hitting the 30+ MPH mark, but we pressed on. It was very frustrating and the scores proved it. At times I had wondered if Gary and Tim were going to cancel because the wind was so bad. However we did have to cancel one of days due to a thunder cloud moving in.

Bryan

19. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

All in all a good shoot.

I will be back next year.

Dave

20. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Steve and NSTA Board,

Even though all shooters will never be happy, I commend you and the Board for making a great decision. We would all like to shoot and complete the events that were scheduled but we were at the mercy of mother nature. I am glad that Nevada residents will be able to finish up in Elko.

We had a great time and look forward to many more shoots in the future.

James and Candy Hammond

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

las vegas trap shoot