1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Las Vegas New Club news

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by debateableone, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debateableone

debateableone TS Member

Ground Broken on Clark County Shooting Park
    First Phase of World-Class Facility to Open in January 2008
    Clark County commissioners and Congressional representatives today broke ground on the first phase of a new, 2,900-acre Sport Shooting Park in Northwest Las Vegas.

When fully built out, the park is expected to draw competitive shooters from around the world, provide law enforcement training facilities and give Southern Nevada's recreational shooters a safe and affordable place to shoot, county officials said.

"People in the Las Vegas Valley used to be able to just go out in the desert and shoot their guns," said Commissioner Tom Collins, who represents the area where the park is being built. "Las Vegas has grown a lot since then and we need to have a safe and affordable place where citizens can go and practice. This park has been a long time coming."

The $61 million, 225-acre first phase, expected to open in January 2008, will feature a 30-site host area for RV camping; a clay target center with 96 RV spaces and a 24 combination trap and skeet field with a 5,000-square-foot building with a pro shop and cafeteria; an archery building with a 30-seat classroom and restrooms; a "known-distance" archery range; a public rifle and pistol range with a pro shop and convenience store; and a hunter education center with a 90-seat classroom with archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges and a simulated hunting course. Almost $30 million of the total cost will pay for extending utilities and Decatur Boulevard about a mile to the site as well as flood control facilities.

When completed, the project will be a world-class park with facilities for local sport shooting enthusiasts as well as accommodations for major national shooting events. Planned amenities not mentioned above include an indoor range, public day-use ranges, tactical ranges, rifle and pistol silhouette ranges, a bench rest range, a cowboy mounted shooting arena and a 1,200-yard high-power rifle range. A 35-seat classroom will accompany each range. Shotgun enthusiasts will benefit from 125 trap and 24 skeet ranges as well as sporting clays and international trap facilities. Archers will have an International Archery Federation (FITA)-approved archery range and three field courses.

The park, located on North Decatur Boulevard about five miles north of the I-215 Beltway, is being funded with grants from the Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act, which uses money from the sale of public lands to pay for parks, trails and natural areas within the county. The park has been in the planning stages since before the land was transferred to the county from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in November 2002. Senators Harry Reid and John Ensign, along with Reps. Jim Gibbons and Shelley Berkley, sponsored the act that provided the land.

"This site will be Ð bar none Ð the finest shooting facility in the world," said Sen. Reid. "I have been fighting to make this shooting park a reality for more than five years and I'm proud of the partnerships between Clark County, sportsmen and women, local police, and many others that have made it possible. I look forward to coming back when the doors officially open."

The county hired Don Turner, then manager of Arizona's successful Ben Avery Shooting Facility, in 2003 to start the planning process for the park. Turner is now the county's Shooting Park manager. More information about the park is available on its Web pages at www.accessclarkcounty.com/parks or may be obtained by contacting Turner at 455-8199 or dturner@co.clark.nv.us.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I must of missed something because I don't remember a guy by the name Don Turner ever being the manager at Ben Avery Clay Target Center, he must of been the manage of the rifle, pistol and other ranges up there or I would of met him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.