1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Gravestock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grunt, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Was reading a thread about bending barrels and Larrys name came up. He was a great shooter, last I saw him was in So California shooting at Redlands GC.Anyone ever see him around?

2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I was at a shoot in the '70s when I saw a long line of shooters out behind the clubhouse. I asked a guy who was watching what was going on and he said, "Gravestock is bending barrels." I looked ahead and sure enough there was my favorite shooter of all time swinging a model 12 barrel against some bags of shot laying on the ingate of a pickup truck. It looked like he was chopping wood. I was surprised that a shotgun barrel could stand such punishment. However, since Larry was such a great shot and I was not, I got in line.

Booger

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

He's a long haul truck driver now. Or at least he was a couple of years ago when he passed through Amarillo. Jimmy Borum

4. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I had the pleasure of shooting a handicap event with Larry in the early 70's. It was a preliminary event at the Golden West Grand, Reno, at the old club North of town. I remember him shooing his 31TC, wearing Decot's and cowboy hat, and just killing targets. When he, Britt, Dan, and whom ever were on the same squad (which was frequent), it was a sight..especially on the two hole targets. The Mint in those days attracted some of the best: Orlich, Gravestock, Britt, Dan Bonillas, Slavich brothers, Phil Ross, Steve Carmichael, etc. I saw Larry bending barrels at the California State Shoot in 73' by whacking them on the front tire of a motor home...Mr. Perazzi would cringe at that sight...lol. He was one of the best.

5. Wentez

Wentez Member

I believe he was referring to a powdered shaving stick that many shooters use to let the gun slide on their cheek.

Geo

6. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Maybe we should send a tube of that to Mr. Obama?...lol

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I had the pleasure of shooting with Larry at Reno in early 70's. Believe he was captain of All American Team. First couple events made me nervous to shoot with such a noted shooter. After first handicap he looked at my gun (model 12) and advised it was not suitable for handicap. Advised he could fix it. I agreed. He bent the barrel, (I wasn't watching, but believe against a wood fence post). He shot a couple of time and said it was now ready. Next day I shot the runnerup score in the handicap. He shot the top score. I have been shooting a high shooting gun ever since. Larry was not only a great shooter, but fun to shoot with. He had a great sense of humor and misses did not bother him. He would just shoot the next bird. Wish him the best where ever he is. - Jim

8. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

This reminds me of something. Larry's ol buddy, Britt, came out to our club last year for a clinic. He didn't bring a gun. Towards the end we asked if we could watch him shoot.

He looked at the gun rack and saw my Reminton 31 which has a very obvious bend in the barrel with a Money Maker rib. He picked that up and said "Now this is what I call a trapgun" and promptly went out and broke 25 before the darn things barely had their nose out of the house.

Heck, Larry may have been the one to bend the barrel

I'd give my left little toe to have seen those 2 shoot in their prime

Dan

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"They break the target before it becomes a severe angle in relation to the distance the target is from the trap house when broken"

The angle doesn't change.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Larry was my hero when I was a teenager. I got to shoot with him fairly often at the old Bowie, Tx, gun club when he lived in Wichita Falls. He'd come and shoot there when he wasn't on the road at a big shoot somewhere. When I was about 15, I was marveling at the fact that the Model 31TC he was shooting looked new. I knew that Remington had replaced it with the 870 in 1950. He took me around to the trunk of his car and showed me 4 more brand new ones in a fitted case and they were ALL new!! He told me that's what he learned to shoot and Remington still built them for him 5 at a time. He never did beat my Dad at a fun game they shot there for money, tho. Dad invented a game he called "Crazy Skeet" ......a full round of skeet shot from the clubhouse porch, with a trap gun. The targets crossed about 55 yards from the porch and were all crossers to the shooter. Larry had to try it every time he was there, but Pop always got his dollar....LOL!! Great memories!!!!!

Ken Rucker

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Anyone else remember the huge gas tank Larry had installed in his Cadillac.

Besides the regular tank, he had one installed that held about 40 gallons.

Don't know if he didn't like to stop or not.....or what the reasoning was behind it.

But I think it had to do with some states charging more per gallon than other states.

Hauxfan!

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Zara, Somehow I believe that. lol lol

Hauxfan!

13. commandrow

commandrow TS Member

I met Larry Gravestock today! He was waiting for a load to haul at the Colton Terminal for US XPRESS. He drives for Abideen trucking (those big green trucks).

Mr. Gravestock is a great guy! He told me just about every story he had from 1950's until now!

He lives in Fountain Valley, CA and is a pretty stand up guy! Looked happy and healthy and he said he was 70 years old now! He was kinda sad that he couldn't shoot much anymore because of his eyesight.

I hope to see Larry again soon!

Gabe Boudreau
    US XPRESS, Heavy Equipment Operator

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't know why his eyesight should be a problem. In the 70's he used to shoot the targets before they visible to the human eye.

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I think the large gas tank was due in part to the gas shortage at the time. That was during the idiot Jimmy Carter days. Post-2

16. trap72

trap72 Member

GABE BOUDREAU,

It is a small world, you seeing Larry Gravestock at the Colton Terminal! The last time I saw him was at the CA State Shoot at Kingsburg CA in the late 1980's or early 1990's. He was shooting handicap on the same squad with Joe Dillard and Chris Johnson. He was shooting a perazzi. It may have been a TM1.

That US XPRESS TERMINAL in Colton CA was my home terminal, I live about 10 miles from there. I was a long haul Solo driver, 48 States and Canada for 9 years for US XPRESS. It is excellent trucking company. I enjoyed the 9 years of driving. I retired in 2003.

Ernie Hooks

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

18. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Zara, Was Grampa a bootlegger during prohibition?

19. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

DanBee

Thanks for the negative remark.

Vince McNamara

20. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

It's evident that DanBee never had the pleasure of being around or shooting with Larry.
    Sonny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

larry gravestock

larry gravestock trap shooter