1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Gravestock TEXAS All American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Has anyone known or shot with Larry Gravestock? Please enlighten us with good stories from the past. Scott

2. Scott Johnson

Here are a few facts off the ATA Hall of fame site:
    Born: 1938
    Year Inducted: 1987
    State: TX

Larry Gravestock of Texas began shooting in 1953 and by May of 1964 had amassed more than 500 trophies. An eleven time All American, Larry earned 23 Texas state titles and 6 Southwestern Zone crowns before retiring from the sport in 1975. He also captured 30 trophies from the Grand American, received 7 consecutive Trap & Field All-Around Average Awards, and became the first to enter twelve 100 straights in doubles.

The first Grand for Gravestock was 1955 when he earned the junior Doubles Championship and High-Over-All crown. The next time he shot in Vandalia was 1957 when he and Dick won the Brother-Brother Championship. During his third trip in 1960, Larry placed first in the Introductory Singles with 200 and 50 extras and ended number one in A (then the top class) in the Doubles Championship for 98 and a perfect overtime round.

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I saw him shoot in 73 at North Platte Nebraska at the Blue-Grey shootout and
    in 74 at the Grand. He and Brit Robinson were on the same squad and drew
    my and many other's attention. Both very friendly and destroyed targets.
    Gary Owen

4. Scott Johnson

Look at the caption below, look at the Stud Muffins trap shooters on these two squads, what a line up. Scott

Larry was part of two record singles squads. During the January 1971 Phoenix, Arizona Chain shoot, he and Gene Sears, Bill Dunlap, Britt Robinson and Jimmy Brown totaled 997 to set an ATA record. In Vandalia two years later, he and Robinson shot with Dan Orlich, Dan Bonillas and industry rep Bob Oxsen as they totaled 996 to tie the existing Grand American mark.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

He was one heckofa barrel bender.

6. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Is it true his barrels were bent to shoot 48" high?

7. Scott Johnson

Come on, some one has to have Larry stories???????/ Scott

8. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Larry could have been a stand up comedian. He could keep you in stitches telling stories. The only trapshooter I know who could come close to him is John Hall. Jimmy Borum

9. Scott Johnson

Bruce, you have had the pleasure of knowing some of the greats in trap, you are walking trap history, thanks for the input. Scott

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I arrived at the state shoot in Billings, Mt several years ago. A friend rushed up to me and said, "Gravestock is here and he's bending barrels." It was common knowledge that he had bent his own barrel to shoot much higher so I quickly grabbed my Model 12 and headed towards a crowd of shooters gathered around a pickup. This had to be where Gravestock was holding court. I wondered what kind of setup/equipment he was using to bend a shotgun barrel. I also wondered how much he charged per barrel. Pushing through the crowd I saw Larry... beating the shit out of a couple of bags of shot (lying on the bed of a pickup)with the barrel of a shotgun. My Model 12 and I beat a hasty retreat back to my car.

However, Larry Gravestock has always been my favorite "Big Dog" trapshooter.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't know what year it was, but it was when the Arabs were gouging us for oil and you couldn't always buy it at ever station.

Larry came to the Iowa State Shoot driving a Cadillac with an added gasoline tank in the trunk.

He said he could go a long way with that extra tank filled.

Does anyone know why he retired from shooting in 1975?

That seems like much to young for anyone to retire from shooting, especially as good as he was shooting.

Hauxfan!

12. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

That was one big ole caddy and it did have an extra gas tank in the trunk, I remember when he was at the Montana State shoot in 1971, he broke 100 straight from 27 on one of the preliminary days, it sent lots of people back to the cashier for a refund on their option money for the rest of the shoot. Jerry

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

A few years back a shooting friend said he saw Larry at a truck stop in California, Larry told him he was driving 18 wheelers now.

14. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

He bent my 870 barrel in Laramie WY, and it shot HIGH! Was a funny, entertaining guy and he smoked targets, kinda like Britt! What a pair.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In 1972 at the Ca state shoot in Kingsburg during the handicap championships on Sunday, Larry broke a 99 early in the day. It looked as though Larry's score would be high and someone had written Larry Gravestock's name on the Hunter belt buckle box. A beautiful Bill Hunter 20 dollar gold piece belt buckle with rubies on each side of the gold piece!! Too bad for Larry that day as my older brother, Lonnie Hapney broke the third ever 100 caps to win the CA handicap championship that day! An added bonus was having Larry's name on the box and he said that made it even more valuable with a big laugh! A real sportsman he is!

Hap

16. Scott Johnson

Hap,
    You come from some stud muffin trap blood in your family. Scott

17. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Chipdaddy - I was at that state shoot and was in the line pulling out my money after Larry broke the hundred. They were giving away a car (remember?)on the Saturday Preliminary Handicap, I pulled my money out of that also. I shot a 98 on Saturday...the high score.

18. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

How can you pull your money out of an event after it's started?

Am I reading this correct in that if someone shoots a high score on an early squad, the club will let you withdraw your option money or totally withdraw from that event providing you haven't shot even while the event is in progress?

19. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Neal,

I think they got the Montana state shoot and the Calif. state shoot threads confused.

20. Scott Johnson

At the time he entered his 12th 100 straight in doubles in July 1974, Larry was the ATA leader by two over Dan Bonillas, three over Morris Stinebring, four over Britt Robinson, and five over Frank Little. Bonillas matched Gravestock’s mark in August but did not surpass it until September of the following year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
larry gravestock

larry gravestock trap shooter

texas state trapshooters