1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Largest Shooting Park Construction Under Way

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joe scout, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe scout

joe scout Member

I just heard from Nevada State Sporting Clays Delegte Adam Pinto --- The Las Vegas shooting park has broke ground. 125 Trap fields, 25 Skeet layouts, 4 Sporting Clays courses plus rifle, pistol etc. I believe there might be more information available on the Clark County website ? I don't know all the details just passing on what I was told.

Joe Winnicki. President of the Nevada Sporting Clay Association

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This is a PDF that shows all current plans for property and it was revised February 2008.

http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/parks/ShootingPark/Information_Sheet.pdf

Clay Target Shooting:

Shotgun Center: 24 combination Trap and Skeet fields.

Sporting Clay Courses (4)

International Trap Bunkers (3): Designed for international traps, these bunkers include shade ramadas and night lightning.

Trap Fields (101): Standard trap fields with shade ramadas for every two fields. Every group of 24 includes a 1,500-foot classroom/restroom combination building. These ranges also include 405 full service RV hook up sites.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Now that would be a fantastic place to hole a major ATA event or even for a new ATA Hall of Fame or headquarters.

4. ChetH

ChetH Member

As I read the plan, it says that there will be 24 combination trap/skeet fields by the end of 2009. With an additional 101 built at some unspecified date based on funding.

I hope they have reason to build them, but hope is not a strategy.

chet

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Lets hpoe they finish before the dictators takeover and ban guns lead ect ect

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Just what would the temps be in Aug ?
    Great place for a fall, winter, spring shoot, Summers, NOT

7. carpk

carpk TS Member

I asked about the possibility of this facility being built,and moving the grand there about 6 months ago! All you experts said this range would never be built. What do you experts think now? Ken

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Ken -

I'm no expert - but from what I have read so far the largest shooting park construction is not underway. What is underway is construction of a moderate sized shooting park with enough fields/facilities for a mid-sized satellite grand as long as not too many people show up.

It's safe to say that they have plans to build the largest shooting park, but the part about having the money is a key to it ever happening.

I'll follow the lead of the Oracle of Arizona, WPT, and predict it will never be built, and if it is built no one will ever show up. Then if it is ever built and people do show up I'll just write about how you can't judge the success of any type of business based on one or two years and we'll have to wait at least 10 years to determine if it's going to be a success.

Scott

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I don't see how they can possibly operate such a place and make a profit unless the cost to shoot there is way more than I would be able to afford.

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

hoggy, et all. It does not have to make a profit, it's government built/owned/run. And by the way it will be expensive to shoot at.

Scott

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Will Carmichael's club remain open?

12. scott calhoun

Last I heard Steve's lease is good thru 2008, then might go month-to-month after that. You can imagine that it will be hard to schedule big shoots like Steve has if you are operating month-to-month. I do not know if the plans to reconfigure the state park (where Steve's range is located) are coordinated with the availability of the new shooting range.

And before anyone interprets my prior comments as being anti-Vegas or anti-shooting range (I am from Illinois after all) - they are not that at all. I make an annual trip to Vegas to shoot in the Fall Handicap and will continue to look forward to a trip to Vegas each year as long as there is a registered shoot to attend.

Scott

13. hairy

hairy TS Member

Sarge alluded to the "big Nevada shoots with cars as prizes." That club is still there and operated by a very competent man. If an existing club with a good operator can't draw shooters like the "good old days", will a new club be able to?

14. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

WHY, trap shooting is in hard times....

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Scott Calhoun,

You will be happy when my new book comes out and you can re read everything I say everyday so maybe you can get it right sooner or later ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. scott calhoun

Bill -

I look forward to it. In the meantime feel free to pass along any corrections. And as Neil likes to say - show your work.

Scott

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not into charts and graphs, just saying what I mean and meaning what I say ... Neil who ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I've been shooting at the L.V. Gun Club since the 70's when it was part of the Mint Hotel operation. I believe I have been there at least once every year since Steve took over operations, except for the time the ATA shut him out.(He got a raw deal out of that!)This is by far and away my favorite place to shoot. Love the green targets(altho black was better!LOL)and the desert background. Steve runs a great program and he and every one on his staff makes you feel at home. This club is about 6 miles from the Santa Fe Hotel. I have stayed there since it opened. Very convenient to the Gun Club.

This "new" club being built looks to me to be a "boondoggle" way out in the "boondocks"! It appears to be more than 6 miles away from the last living creature! It boggles my small mind to think that the population of Vegas can or will support an operation of this size. When(if)it is ever open for business and I am still an active shooter, I most likely will give it a try but I doubt it will ever be like the L.V. club! Just my $0.02 worth! If the Vegas club is still open I'll go there!

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

geneleroy, I can remember not too long along when the LVGC was way out in the "boondocks". Now the subdivisions are right at the gate.

I don't think the trapshooting part of the park will ever be a success. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see trap growing.

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

About 6 miles due East of the LVGC....out in the desert.

How long before it is surrounded by houses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.