1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

larger shot, more felt recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bling 27, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I want to know if there is less felt recoil with 8's vs 7 1/2 shot. I thought I was nuts when I used the same load, only difference was shot size, and I felt more recoil with the 71/2 than 8's. I didn't say anything(all in my mind I thought). My brother was loading the same load and he said the same thing. 7 1/2 kick more than 8's. He shoots a 1100 trap and I shoot a 3200. Maybe we are both nuts!! Wayne

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Yes Wayne, you're both nuts. LOL. If anything the 8's should have more recoil because they are more dense in a given volume, but I doubt it would be perceivable.

Buz

3. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Yep, Nuts.

Have your brother load your gun and you guess what you just shot.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Our minds have the ability to perceive things that are not there.

Pat Ireland

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If you have 1oz of 8 and 1oz of 7 1/2 its still 1oz. If you load shells of 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 you are changing the weight of lead and you will notice that.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

theoretically you could be correct about the felt recoil

If the initial moment of interia curve changes because the larger shot charge doesnt set back as quickly- ie the larger pellets compress at a slower rate than the smaller ones- I could see how this might change felt recoil

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Which is heavier a pound of feathers, or a pound of lead?

ec90t

8. g7777777

no total recoil will remain the same but the period it is distributed over- the curve could be different and setback might account for some perception of that curve

Gene

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gene- The shot in a shell are slightly compressed and in firm contact with each other. The set back, due to inertia, will take place as a single mass, not as individual shot.

Pat Ireland

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

Another DUH!

11. g7777777

Pat maybe but I think that there is more space between larger shot pellets and thus more possible room for setback- rememberthe wad compresses both laterally and on the side walls-

All I am agreeing on is it is possible that the felt recoil might be different

actual recoil is a mathematical equal

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gene- The question of total space between the shot of different sizes can be calculated with the "packing theory". And, with this calculation it turns out that the total empty space is the same. This calculation does ignore the edge effect.

Now, if we want to continue with these minuscule factors, and it is kinda fun to do that, we also need to add in the effect of energy absorption by the hull. Paper hulls and base wads will absorb more energy than plastic hulls. This difference would however, be less than the addition of one extra shot to the load.

We could also demonstrate that shooting loads with a very dirty powder would reduce recoil because of the weight added to the gun from powder residue. And, I think I may be getting silly.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

13. hairy

hairy TS Member

Not so nuts. There was a guy on here last week who said his gun recoiled more when he had the full choke tube in versus his modified tube.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

So,, would a 1 ounce rifled slug at 1400 FPS feel the same as an equal amount of shot at the same speed? Any experienced slug shooters here? Hap

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I never kicked up my 1 oz loads to 1400 fps, Hap(py) but I'll tell you the 1 oz slugs in an 18" Rem. 870 kicked like St. Peter's mule in my experience. In training, I always shot them from the hip - to heck with the score.....Bob Dodd

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sir Dodd, neither have I, never 1 ounce loads that fast, except for the slugs. Talk about getting ones attention in a hurry! I have shot 7/8,1 and 1-1/4 ounce slugs and there's no resemblance to ground pounders I've shot in annies that weighed the same. Science/math aside, there something goin on with those slugs and its called hurtz! :) GrinzinNHappyNAZ

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hairy, Yes same gun will kick differently with same load with different chokes. Their is more recoil in gun with tighter chokes. Gun will kick less with skeet chokes in it, than same gun and load with full chokes. You are changing the recoil formula. Break-em all. Jeff

18. hairy

hairy TS Member

Changing the recoil formula?

Same shot load-same speed=same recoil whether it's full choke or skeet.

19. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

As most have said you should have no noticable difference in recoil. And unless you changed bushings, the 7.5 would actually way less. Therefore generating less "Back Pressure" and "less felt Recoil".

And as for all the Physics teachers here, MIT called and your still not getting in!!!!

See you all at the Grand!!

Jeff

20. joshif

joshif TS Member

True, When I shoot 1 1/4 oz of #7 1/2 or #4 the #4 shell kicks "sharper". Same load. The big pellets have to squish through the forcing cone and choke. Smaller pellets flow more smoothly and the kick isn't so "sharp".Sorta like when there's a difference between a factory forcing cone and one honed out in the same model of gun. Why do I shoot #4? I'm practicing for the GAH! I can use reloads! Look out Kay and Harlan.Play the money.....Suckers!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil is determined by