1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Meteor!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by C-Money, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Money

C-Money Member

I live in central Washington State. Around 530am, I saw a LARGE meteor. I first noticed light, I looked and saw a white/blue mass comming down from the sky. As it approched it had a Large, Long tail. It made a sound similar to a bullet ricochet, only a lower, deeper sound. It fell apart just before it looked like it would impact, with a deep "pop" sound. It broke into many pieces. This event lasted approx 5 seconds. Did anyone see it this morning? It was on the news and confirmed a meteor. I also shot a pair of 15's on Sunday, wounder if the two events are related...LOL. Shoot well, Corey

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Give everyone a clue of where?????

3. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

This just in....

"Meteor Streaks Across Eastern Washington
    Associated Press
    Last updated: Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 09:06:05 AM

SPOKANE -- A meteor streaked through the sky over the Pacific Northwest and apparently landed in Eastern Washington early Tuesday.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman in Seattle, Mike Fergus, says a Horizon Airlines pilot saw the meteorite hit earth about 5:45 a.m. Fergus says the pilot reported a flash and a burst of light near State Route 26 and the Lind-Hatton Road in the southeast corner of Adams County.

There have been no reports of damage or injury, and sheriff's dispatchers say they don't know of any meteorite landing.

FAA officials say pilots reported seeing the meteor in the sky from Boise, Idaho, far into Washington state."

My husband saw it this morning as he was working. Said it was so bright it was like night turned into day.

We live about 30-40 miles south of the projected impact. If it hit where the pilot said it did, it was probably in the desert region of the county.

~Kim Stephens

4. C-Money

C-Money Member

I live in Moses Lake Wa. It came from the east and went down at a steep angle and was south of my place when it fell apart. I live in the country, and it was dark out with only a little moon light at the time I saw it. It was frightening, and spectacular at the same time! Corey

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Go check it out Corey and take some pictures if anything made it all the way down!

Are we sure it wasn't a Coke bottle???

Guy Babin

6. C-Money

C-Money Member

If it did break apart around Lind-Hatton rd, that would be about 30 miles south of where I live. Lind Hatton rd is near Othello Wa. It looked like a large commet, white in color center mass, and blue away from center, the ferther away from center, the darker the blue. The tail streched a very long way accross the sky! This thing was very LARGE!! I feel lucky to have had a good view of it. Corey

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Many years ago a similar thing happened to me while fishing in the Adirondacks of New York State. I was night fishing and the sky suddenly got as bright as day and then gradually grew dim as the meteor descended. I bent my knees waiting for the concussion but there was none. I later found out that it crashed far off in Eastern Canada. What an experience!

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Was it a Space Shuttle Turd? They are still up there and it's a known fact that they launch their crap into space.

Don't believe me?... here ya go. <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9pQzKjvS6w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9pQzKjvS6w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jerbear

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Na, it wasn't space debris, it was a meteor. It's been on the local news today.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Probably D.B.Cooper making his re-entry.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

It was a meteor, but it was not a large meteor as the title of this thread suggests. It certainly was larger than s shooting star. They are about the size of a grain of sand but it was not a large meteor.

A large meteor did hit the earth a few years ago. It wiped out over 90% of all of the animals and nearly that many plants. It gave mammals a chance to finally dominate reptiles. I do not know when the next big one is scheduled to hit the Earth but if we wait long enough, another one will come.

Pat Ireland

12. C-Money

C-Money Member

Pat, If you saw what I saw, you would also say it was Large! The object size may have been small, but it put off enough light to light up the entire Pacific NW. Corey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.