1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Large MEC shot bottles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John 53, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John 53

John 53 Member

I did a search for these and really did not find what I was looking for.

At one time some of the folks on here had an alternative to the MEC tall shot bottles. Mine are getting a bit old, and I want to replace them before they break. MEC wants $12.34 each for them, which seems pretty high for no more than you are getting. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion? Thanks.

John

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Here you go. This is the best shot tubes you can buy for your MEC. At $74.20 with drain tube or $55.00 without it will make the large one MEC sells seem like free.
    [​IMG]

3. Reinz

Reinz Member

Awesome! I'm all about more beef!

I don't have a mec anymore. I saved your site for just in case. Ya never know.

4. John 53

John 53 Member

grntitan ,

Now I am starting to think MEC's prices may not be too bad after all. But then again, theirs does not have a drain tube!

Thanks for sharing.

John

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

[​IMG]

2liter pop bottle. The necks are very strong. The threads are the same as a Mec bottle. When I lay it back I just catch it in the red sling you see behind it. Never had one problem with this setup and it holds 25 pounds. Oh yea, you gotta drill the "bottom" with a hole saw to the size needed for your chosen size of science supply neoprene tapered plug. Number 4 through about #5 1/2 sizes work well and they stick very tight in the bottle. If you were to knock the bottle over it is unlikely you would lose shot through the rubber plugged hole.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

$8.95 at Gamaliel's. I'd sign up for their emails and find out when they have a free shipping weekend. (They just had one a couple of weeks ago.)

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I tried the two-liter bottle trick once. It collapsed in less than a month. Apparently, some two-liter bottles are stronger than others. Of course, I'm from the east so mine was a soda bottle:).

After 38 years of preaching that original equipment parts work best, I practice what I preach and use a MEC bottle and their bottle support system.

Ed

8. psfive

psfive Member

I use the MEC large bottles on the powder and shot. I also use the MEC support. Paul in Nebraska.

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've had several MEC bottles break. I've never had a pop bottle break and this one has been in service for 3 years. The radius and thickness of the neck juncture is so superior, I'll be amazed if it ever does break. But, unlike a MEC, if it does break it will still be worth 5 cents.

[​IMG]

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

John,

Gamaliel Shooting Supply has them for $8.95. I also highly recommend the MEC bottle support.

Good luck.

Jon Reitz

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Gamaliel's has free shipping thru 31 December. $8.95 for the large bottle delivered is hard to beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alternatives to mec bottles