1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Large MEC bottles cause misloads when too tight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Before I became a member of this forum, a person inquired what may be causing his MEC to be throwing too light of a powder load. There was a mention in the original thread or by a responder of having a problem with the charging bar sticking. I have had during my reloading life, 4 MEC's and presently have a 8567 and a 9000 along with a RCBS Grand.

My current machines I have had for around 10 years. I too have had the problem of lightly charged loads and it seemed no matter how much I tried, I could not figure out what was causing my charge bar to stick, which was causing the light or "no powder blooper" loadings. The two newest MEC's came with the tall charging bottles which my two previous presses did not. One day I noticed the charge bar stuck to the right side and did not return. Instead of reaching up and slapping the bar back to it's home position, I for some unknown reason, reached up and backed off the lead filled bottle. Bingo, the bar returned to its home position and moved freely after that.

What I surmised is the following. Even though I thought I had used very light pressure to secure the bottles to the top of the press, With the additional weight of the lead and powder in the tall bottles, the charging bar was hanging up because of the weight. I suspect the threads on the bottles help suspend some of the weight if they are not snugged down to the normal tightness one would use with the smaller bottles. Now I ligthly tighten the bottles then back them up ever so slightly. Since, I have had no problem of the charging bar sticking, or powder sitting on the charging bar and the brass washers seem to last a lot longer. I did not believe I was over tighting the bottles, but I addtionial weight when using the tall bottles amplifies the "too tight" problem.

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

good observation!!

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I got rid of my tall bottles on my MEC 9000's. I switched to the short ones and now load only 100 hulls at a time. I then take a minute to clean off the press, add new primers, refill the bottles and run another 100. I don't think I spend two minutes extra while loading 400 rounds. I do know that by doing only a 100 at a time I never worry about running out of powder or shot if I'm not paying attention. To answer your question, I found even the small bottles will bind up the charge bar if tightened to much.

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I also use Mec loaders but use the standard bottles and have found that certain kinds of powders will ball up and not drop on the first one or two loads if the loader has not been used for a few days. Titewad and TightGroup powders do this...maybe others too.

I can leave my loader sit for a couple of days and the first shell I load will have only a couple of grains of powder in it or maybe none at all. It takes a shell or two to start dropping the powder correctly.

Mark Rounds

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

EE

Yes, I found that out after a few duds.

Mark

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Rick,

I had much more consistent powder drops from my tall MEC bottles by taking off the red plugs from the top of the bottles while reloading.

Good luck.

LA

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depends on the powder.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Steve, can you describe this bushing or put a picture of it on here. Doe3s it have a part number? Jackie B.

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Steve,

look at this pic and see if this looks like the bushing that MEC sent you,
    Also just asking does anybody not use the powder baffle to get a constant
    powder charge and you don't have to worry about over tighten it, it has a spring
    loaded piece that goes against your brass washer and like I said just asking. There is a pic of the baffle also.

NOTE to add if you get some lemon pledge and spray the inside of the measure assembly and let stand for a min or two and wipe it out then wipe down the charge bar with the same rag. The lemon oil in the pledge does the trick.

thanks
    lee

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use the taller bottles for both shot and powders. I chamfer the openings in the bottles where they make contact with the rubber washers. I trim a little and try till I get it right and mine never causes my bar to hesitate on the move either way. Very easy to do and makes for better loading peace of mind.

Hap

11. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I use the powder baffle pictured above and pause for a second while handle is down to make sure powder bushing is full.

I also rub the exposed portions of the chargebar with a little bar of hard soap (stolen from a motel) every couple hundred rounds.

I don't fill the large shot hopper much more than half full and use a small bottle for the powder.

tom

12. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Welcome to the world of Chicken SH*T reloaders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.