1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop computer info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Do NOT look at an HP. They are not well made and they have virtually NO support. I would say a Dell is the first place to look. Toshiba also has some decent units, but Dell Support is a bit more robust. The newer Lenovo (IBM) are not that well made these days. Acer is also a decent unit, but not as well supported for accessories and spare parts. Buy a Dell Business class machine and you'll likely fare well.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If your wif still has the MS Office CD...she can install it on the new laptop!

If she needs 4 gig of RAM, be sure that the motherboard will support it.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Almost any laptop advertised with 4GB will do, as a Excel spreadsheet is no big deal with modern processors.

As far as hard drive, Excel files don't take up a large amount of space. She may be more concerned on hard drive speed than size. A few extra dollars, but a speed of 7200 is the way to go.

She really needs to visit the local computer stores (Best Buy?) and try out the keypad before she buys. Some can be pretty small.

If she is lugging aound the laptop, she should see if she will be happy with a 17 inch screen and the size that goes alone with it. Can be on the heavy side.

She should look into what compaines her business has accouts with. She should be able to get a discount from many of the comuter companies from her place of employment, to include the software.

4. tp

tp TS Member

If your wife works for a national company, surely her IT department has some suggestions. Many IT departments will require that they set it up for her so it is compatible with their network, enterprise software, etc.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Go Dell.

Stay away from 17" - heavy and poor battery life. She will be using a monitor at work anyway.

TP gave good advice. Our MIS system does not permit use of Vista or the new Windows - so we must have XP operating system. She needs to check stuff like that.

Don Verna

6. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I am sorry, and don't wish to be offend but she sounds like she keeps rather important information. Now is not a good time to figure out the minimum. Pay good money for a good computer and be done with it. Figure out a good backup plan for information also.

I would probably be more concerned about battery run time, but that's me.

Have fun figuring out if you stay with Vista or windows 7. One sucks and one is unproven and will probably suck based on previous releases.

7. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am using a Toshiba Satellite and am very pleased with it. 500MB hard drive 4Gb ram and great graphics card. $800. Neil Swenson

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Quack Shot just a question I know you are in the business. So what do you think about Windows 7?

I bought a machine that has 7 in it and there is some type of conflict in it it will not save pictures from the internet in the normal way. The computer company I bought it from can't help me because it is a software issue.

Microsoft won't help me unless I pay them for tech support. The reason the software was installed by the computer license that that company bought at a reduced rate. Microsoft says that the company that sold me the machine has to act as go between to resolve it or I must pay.

Next one will be a Mac.

Bob Lawless

9. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

As an example the dell vostro 1720 has a numeric keypad that you are looking for.Call Toshiba and dell to see what they offer.I get a lot of the cheap less than 500 dollar laptops in my shop for repair.Over that seems to make a difference.Ask a lot of questions concerning what warranty is provided.Good luck,shoot well.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

ivanhoe

I think Windowes 7 has some potential, but the bugs are not shaken out of it yet. The best feature I have used is the Windows XP compatibility mode, where you run XP in a Virtual Machine within Windows 7. It's available on the Pro and Ultimate versions, but you would need to download the components. You should be able to find a work around for the image file issues. Try searching on Google and some of the Windows dedicated forums. The Machine's manufacturer might be able to help, even if it's through the "self-help" menus.

Not knowing where you are trying to save the images from, and how you are trying to do so, leaves me in the dark as far as understanding what it is you cannot do. Are they eMailed images, or are you trying to save images by right clicking an image and trying to save it, or clicking links? If you are trying to use a utility or a program to do so, it might not be compatible with Win7.

If you think the Windows machine is a problem, the Macs don't always fare any better. A number of years ago there might have been an advantage to the Mac, but the differences are now pretty moot.

11. ivanhoe

Quack Shot First of all thank you for your response. As far as comparability is concerned I don't put anything in the computer that is compatible according to the website above.

The image problem happens when using the standard right click save picture as procedure. It works fine from email or within the computer. However if you are trying to save a picture of an image of something for sale on this site. You will get "Windows explorer is not responding" no matter what option you choose it closes IE and then asks what you wish to do. No matter how many times you try to save that image the outcome is always the same.

If you shut the computer down it doesn't always restart and when it doesn't it tells you Windows is not responding(not Windows explorer just windows)if your operating system is not responding it would kind of say it isn't going to be a good day.

I only tell you this because I have had XP and had some problems none severe. I have two computers with Vista. I have never had an issue that I couldn't fix myself with that OS everyone complains about Vista I never had a problem with it.

Windows 7 however right out of the box it wouldn't allow a file transfer even with the transfer cable. It tells me to use the disc that comes with the cable. Install the program on the Vista machine yet when you put the disc in the Vista machine there is no install option.

If you are buying a new machine(not meaning someone in the business)the average person you will find it hard to get one without Windows 7. AS the big push is on to get this system of the ground.

Bob Lawless

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bob,

Just for kicks, have you tried lowering the security settings for the "Internet"? You can do that in the Internet Options under the Tools heading. It might also be that some web pages do not play well with IE. I've had some coding issues with several websites, so I sometimes use the "Compatibility View" button in Internet Exploder. It will fix the problem half of the time. Also, some "Security Suites" are not quite up to snuff. I've had some firewall and antivirus programs hiccup with Windows 7.

If the system is new, it could be a hardware issue or a driver issue. Some of the drivers for Windows 7 are not up to snuff. Check the system manufacturer for updates. Also check for a system Bios upgrade. Be careful if you do upgrade it. Since you are having booting issues as well, I;d also start with a quick test of the memory, using something like Memtest on a bootable disk.

There are also a few issues with running IE8 in protected mode. You can disable that and try it again. If that does not do it, go to these links and take a look. There is a registry fix that seemed to work for a few people with a few similar issues. It may make a difference of you are running the 32 or 64 bit version. You can also try running IE8 with no add ons. Info is in the links.

Microsoft Forum

Microsoft Forum

Microsoft Forum

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Top Single DT10

Dell offers the XP downgrade if you order from them. It is usually for "Business" systems, so most retailers don't offer it. They can also provide you with the disks to install Windows 7 or Vista, depending on which OS is sold with that model. They still have some with Vista.

14. ivanhoe

Quack Shot I do thank you for you assistance. I don't however think I will be able to try to correct it myself. I sent it out at the beginning of last week to have a local tech/Geek see if he can resolve it.

Again I mainly want to get out the word as far as I am concerned the Windows 7 OS isn't bug free from the get go. It would appear that it will take time before it is completely reliable. Again thank you for you time and efforts. I will have to see what the tech/Geek says about the conflicts. I guess this thread just came up a few days to late.

Bob Lawless

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bob,

Let me know how you make out with it.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

17. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Quack Shot
    We just bought A HP from Best Buy. We havn't picked it up yet. Do you suggest that we try to get them to exchange it for A Dell in the same price range. It was just over $500.00. We just have it to be on the internet etc. No business. I would hate to have bought an inferior machine.
    Thanks Roy Anderson

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

ramen39

I won't say that ALL HP machines will fail or have issues. I just see an awful large amount of them that do. My usual experience with HP support is dismal. I have seen a customer have two motherboards fail within two years. The first one went under warranty. The next one was eight months later. The customer bought a new laptop instead of spending $500 to fix the old one, since HP would not do anything for her. She originally paid $1800 for it. I have also been told several times that the support technician would "NOT" help me. Not that they couldn't, that they WON'T. It was a simple issue for a friends new printer. I eventually fixed the problem by getting him a different brand of printer. It was a software issue where some older HP drivers were interfering with the new ones. HP had a file that could remove the old drivers, since their uninstall procedure could not. All I wanted was for the service rep to point me to the file. He would not help me. His supervisor then told me that I was an idiot, did not know what I was talking about, and said the fix was over my head, spouting some blurbs of "it would require an expert to edit the registry, etc, etc. All this time they were spoeaking in broken English. I eventually found the file by myself and used it to clean ALL of the old drivers out of the machine to make way for the new "NOT HP" printer.

I did get a note from the CEO's office about my complaint. They assured me something like that would never happen again. Guess what happened on the very next call?

My more recent history with HP would leave me in a strong position where I would NOT recommend anything HP or Compaq. If I were in the business of selling new machines at retail, I'd love the fact that they fail as often as they do and need replacement AT THE CUSTOMER'S cost. Hopefully they will get it together, but they are no longer the company they used to be.

Dell might not make the best Laptop/Desktop in the world, but I've only had a few incidents with their tech support where they failed me. They tried the best they could and never gave me an attitude. AND they usually speak real English! I can get parts for a ten year old machine. Not so at some other companies.

If you have the opportunity to change your order, you might take my experience into consideration.

19. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Quack Shot
    Thank you for the information. I am going to try to change to the Dell. I appreciate your input.
    Thanks again
    Roy Anderson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.