1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lapping scope rings?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, Do any of the hunters, varminters or benchrest shooters here lap their scope rings? If so, is the Wheeler Engineering kit any good? While on the subject, do any of you put anything in between the rings and scope tube to give the rings more 'bite'. I guess also...Optilock or Conetrol for a Sako? Thanks-Graham.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have lapped them in the past and the Wheeler kit is good

No dont put anything else in the rings- pressure point problems

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Buy a set of Tally rings and your won't have to lap them. A lot of guys around here are using Tally rings/bases with good results...

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not true about Talley Rings - in fact if they arent in alignment they will bend a scope- saw on a couple of months ago bent--

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

Don't know about Wheeler, got my set up from Bob Hart and I can't imagine a better setup.
    Mike

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

That is a long way to lap if they were so far out they bent the scope.

jim brown

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have used the Sinclair International lapping kit for years on several sets of rings. It works well for me and has been improved over the years.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=36022/Product/Sinclair_Scope_Ring_Lapping_Kits

Lapping is a very worthwhile exercise especially if you are interested in accuracy beyond 100 yards and move scopes around.

Just my $.02.

Ed Ward

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys. I haven't been able to source the full Wheeler set here in New Zealand yet, but then again I have only looked at what stores have, not what they might be able to get for me on special order. I think given the chance I will buy the set...I can't bear the thought that with all the money I spent on a couple of rifles and scopes, that the mounts are letting me down. Thanks again-Graham.

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

I ended up getting my lapping setup from Bob Hart as well. Very well built. With that said, depending on what setup you are doing (Picatinney versus dovetail rings) you could always go with the Burris Zee rings that take the inserts that allow a lot of adjustment without lapping and also prevent ring marks. I haven't used them myself, but haven't heard anything bad about them.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a set of Burris Zee Rings and you won't have to lap anything.

11. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Lapped many sets of rings, has allways worked well. Make sure to use non embedding grit. All ways nice when the scope justs drops in and is tight.

12. justanother99

justanother99 Member

All of my rifles have Tally's on them and I've never had to lap a set yet, and they are always in perfect alignment. Tally specifically says DO NOT LAP!

13. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Full story...bought Sako .25-06 with VXII 2-7 in Conetrols...swapped out the Leupold for an old 6x Burris I have...Bought FX3 6x to go in but didn't like it...bought 6x Kahles and love it BUT when levelling the Kahles and moving to achieve desired eye relief I thought the scope seemed looser (not quite the right word) in the Conetrols before tightening. Bought Sako .222 and upgraded it's 'no-name' rings to Optilocks and put in the FX3...so happy with the result I have now lost confidence in the Conetrols on the .25-06 . I have now been chasing my own tail for so long I am getting confused so am considering all options. Thanks for your input. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.