1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lapping compound?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HUNTER64, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

I got my son a bt-99 this week at the state shoot. He had the chance to shoot it and being new it is very hard to open for the little guy... The gunsmith that fitted him told me if I got some lapping compound and opened and closed it a couple hundred times it would loosen up. I looked on line and the kinds of lapping compounds is endles.. Any help or suggestions would be great!!

T.J.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did this "gunsmith" show you where to put the lapping compound? Before you use any lapping compound I would find out why it is hard to open. Putting some good lube like tri flow in the right place might solve the problem.HMB

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I would put a liberal amount of Breakfree on the gun and open/close it as much as possible during the week. You cannot put metal back on easily. Jeff

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Be very carefull with lapping compounds as they imbed in the metal and even though you think you hace cleaned it all away some still remains and continues to grind away, (ever so slowly) but it still is grinding the metal away.

Big bore has the right advice

Argus

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi There,
    I can send you a little dab of what we use here in the shop. I work on brass instruments-trumpets, trombones, etc, and we use a mild lapping paste some times on tuning sldes that have too close a tolerance, or trumpet pistons to get them working again after damage to the outer casing has been repaired. Send me a pm if you wish. And, yes, clean the work area up well. Use some denatured alcohol for clean up. You may have to do this 3 or four times to get all the compound out in time. Make sure to use a couple drops of 2 in one oil, sewing mach oil, or some light lube-Rem oil, ect. along with the lap.
    -best fishes, -powderburn

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The BT-99 is a great gun and will last a long time if cared for properly. Lapping compound will shorten that life considerably if not used in a very particular way.

BigBore and Argus are correct, use lube first.

Put lube on the hinge and where the forearm touches the receiver. Then, take the forearm off and put it on several times a day for a while. This will wear the spot where the barrel lug touches the forearm iron. As that spot wears, the gun will get looser.

HOWEVER, a year from now of regular shooting and you will be glad you did nothing to loosen the action. It will get easier to open on its own. Yes, it can be a little difficult to open, but he'll build muscles and learn to do it.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Really BAD idea.

8. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

Thank You all!!! It sounds like no lapping compound is the answer!!!

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The gun opens and closes hard because it is not quite properly fit when new. Mass production precludes it.

A knowing smith (or owner, for that matter) will dress the barrel tang a tiny bit to mke the gun open properly. This has been covered several times on this site. Some will prefer to file the forend iron where it bears on the tang.

The fact is that the barrel tang exerts undue pressure on the forend iron which makes it open hard. This can cause galling if the gun is not copiously lubricated in that area.

HM

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Hunter

Send address and I will send a tube of CMD Gun Lube, gratis. DON'T do anything to your gun.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lapping compound can be great stuff is used properly. I have around 20 different grits of dry abrasives and I mix the type of compound depending on the job. Like many techniques, lapping compound can do a great job or if used incorrectly, can really mess up things.

Pat Ireland

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Listen to HM, he has the answer

13. Agitator

Agitator TS Member

I would NOT use lapping or grinding compound of ANY kind on a firearm. Like previous posters have indicated, just shoot it and let it 'wear in' on its own. As a last resort, try some toothpaste. Other than diamond paste it is about as fine of abrasive as you are going to find. And can be removed with warm water. Just my opinion. You cannot replace any metal that is removed, so beware.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Get some STOS. You can put STOS on a hoe handle and shove the handle up a gnats butt without hurting the gnat. Very slick stuff!

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

H/D, that STOS sounds like the new "granny's goose grease" replacement? :)

Hap

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

"Subject: lapping compound?
    Email: awe62@new.rr.com
    Date: Wed, Jun 23, 2010 - 09:26 PM ET
    Website Address:
    The gun opens and closes hard because it is not quite properly fit when new. Mass production precludes it.

A knowing smith (or owner, for that matter) will dress the barrel tang a tiny bit to mke the gun open properly. This has been covered several times on this site. Some will prefer to file the forend iron where it bears on the tang.

The fact is that the barrel tang exerts undue pressure on the forend iron which makes it open hard. This can cause galling if the gun is not copiously lubricated in that area.

HM"

Takes about two light strokes of a clean file to the hanger to make the fit right. Putting some kinda abrasive in a gun is the last thing I'd do. A little file will solve your problems in about 30 sec.

17. metal1

metal1 TS Member

my new browning was the same way, after shooting a short time it is as smooth as ever DO NOT REMOVE ANY METAL WITH/BY ANY PROCESS.,jeff

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Try to find some Perazzi lube in the tube. I helps with the bedding of a new stiff gun.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you fit the forend iron or dress the tang a bit your gun will not blow up, your hens will continue to lay and your cows will not have sour milk.

I bought a brand new 4 barrel skeet set. Wonder of wonders, the 20 guage barrel fit perfectly and the gun opened just a tinker on the stiff side, as befits a new gun.

The other 3 barrels would make the gun operate so stiffly it was difficult to open.

Consulting with a friend in AZ who has had many Brownings led me to the 6 inch single cut mill bastard file in my tool box. I dressed the tangs on the other 3 barrels till they worked exactly like the good one. A couple strokes where it pushes on the forend iron, and try fit it. 3-4 times like that and good to go.

The ugliest thing I have seen was a BT-99 with deep galling grooves on the mating surface from being tight and dry and the owner paying no attention.

You can lube the mating surfaces and fight the gun for the next few months but it's not necessary.

However, if you are not comfyu with this idea let a smith do it for you.

good luck.

HM

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try some CMD Grease first, it really works and makes opening and closing a whole lot easier.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.