1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laporte vs Pat trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outdoors Junkie, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

A club has two traps. One is a laporte that has been rebuilt and the other a pat trap that is two years old. both are set at 9 ft high 10 yards out,42 mph and the birds hit at 49-50 yards. However the Laporte trap looks like it is throwing higher birds and other shooters seem to think so as well. Does the Laporte throw targets at a different angle than the pat? Shooters say they are shooting under them on the Laporte. Any suggestions?

Outdoor Junkie

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Is the LaPorte a "Twin Lap"?

3. Outdoors Junkie

Not sure?It is about 15 years old I want to say a 185 does that sound right?

4. Barry C. Roach

Does it have two throwing arms?

5. Outdoors Junkie

6. Barry C. Roach

Can't help you. I know the Twin Lap but no experience with the singles only trap. Sorry.

7. Outdoors Junkie

Thanks anyway.

8. Smiley

Smiley Member

Our club has 2 185 Laporte traps,In my opinion the laporte has one of the best systems of consistent target placement on the plate and arm,the release of the target would mimic how a frisbee is thrown as at the start of acceleration of the target off the plate is soft increasing the force of acceleration until the target leaves the arm.We have a balltrap version that will throw a target over a hundred yards without it breaking,perhaps the difference could be attributed to amount of spin put on the clay.
    Just some thought Paul

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

We have a LaPort trap. Thorws a great target !!

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>Shooters say they are shooting under them on the Laporte. Any suggestions?</i>

Tell them to point higher?

Could be the spin. One may have more spin than the other.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tell them to put more powder in their shells. HMB

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

had a guy tell me once that the targets were flyin past the stake, I told him to shoot before they got that far, I doubt if shooting under a target has anything to do with type of trap, if both are set at same height, and speed, how could there be a difference, at least enough of a difference that a 30 inch pattern is gonna see. mark crist

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

For what I have hear the Laporte is a problem soon to come. There is a club that I go and shoot at that has or should I say HAD one and was glad to get ride of it. Pat is the way to go with far less problems. Parts are easy to get and to service.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat traps go the distance with minimal expense. La Porte ain't bad, but it's French, and we found some real inconstencies in spare parts. Holes in 2 different places, etc.

The frog machine got better when they introduced the brake motor, but it's still not the best.

HM

15. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I will not try to give you advice only observations, but I looked up a Laporte trap and the ones I looked at only had 8 or twelve towers. I am just guessing, but you may have the Laporte set lower in your trap house than the Pat. I think this would give you aslightly steeper angle and when set at the same 9 foot it would go up alittle higher the farther out you get, because of the stepper angle. John 8703697

16. WTW

WTW Member

Just my thoughts on the subject, one of the traps is set higher in the trap house than the other which would make one target come out at a different angle. Its like stacking the beads on your shot gun. The lower the back the higher the front. I hope I explained it right.

Ted

17. DAS

DAS Member

We have Laporte traps for sale.

18. Barry C. Roach

WTW, that's a "Twin Lap"

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Laportes rarely throws targets

They spend all their time broken

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I agree with WTW and John Browning. To check this you can drive a stake off post one.With a string level with the concrete (laser would be better)
    Pull the string tight and level to the side of the trap house. Mark the side of the trap house. Your throwing deck should be level with this mark. If the machine is lower you will see more "face" on the target. Making it look higher.
    We repoured 4 fields 3 years ago and used a laser to do this. We knew the floors had been poured incorrectly,all were to high so all you saw the the leading edge of the target. One field had to be raised 11 inches!

For what its worth

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

la pattern trap vs trap

laporte vs pattrap

mattarelli vs pat trap