1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laporte vs Mattarelli skeet/trap machines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrgcskeet, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgcskeet

mrgcskeet TS Member

Our club in Western Colorado is replacing trap and skeet machines. We've used Laporte for many years with good results, but the machines we've got are aging and it's time to replace them. Several of us feel we should replace with new Laporte 185's (both skeet & trap). We've eliminated PAT... simply because we often shoot in temps near 0 during the winter and don't want the added hassles that may come along with hydraulics in very cold weather. Some members have heard great things about the Mattarelli traps that Briley sells. So, my questions are:

1. Is anybody using either somewhat new Laporte 185's (with control cards)or the new Mattarelli machines. If so, good or bad results? Especially in terms of being reliable AND easy/simply to maintain or work on.

2. Is anybody using either type of machine (Laporte or Mattarelli) in cold environments (up North 'eh?). Bonus if you can let me know of any glitches or positives that might relate to cold weather.

Thanks and I'll look foward to any help you folks can offer.

Mark
    Montrose Rod & Gun Club
    Montrose, CO

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Have you considered the GP traps?

I shoot at several close clubs and the GP has less problems than Laporte and Remington, cheaper than Pat Traps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you want to use the older style Winchester release buttons with the new LaPorte, you have to put a diode matrix in the wiring,.

I don't really care for the laPorte setup, the old familiar yellow button seems more sturdy.

We just bought new LaPortes, and we are in Northeast Wisconsin, shooting in sub zero temps.

We have Pat Traps too, houses are insulated with milk house heaters. Works great.

The new brake motor technology seems to help the LaPorte machine, used to be a critical switch adjustment that would go awry sometimes.

I have no experience with Briley's machine, but there are a lot fewer of them around, and that should tell you something.

NSSA uses LaPorte at San Antonio, I believe.

HM

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Avoid LePorte. There are far better traps around than them. The Matarelli is one of the best but you ought to consider the Nasta traps from Finland. The Olympic Bunker Range at Colorado Springs use them nearly year round without problems. We have a set in our bunker plus 3 Skeet fields and they throw a great target. We replaced a set of Laports and were happy to see them go. Nasta's are a simple system without all the 'cards' of the Leports etc. I believe they are the most reliable trap around. If you are a club like us that does not have a maintenance guy on staff you should go this way plus if you are worried about operation in cold weather Finland makes you look like Florida!

Tom Baber
    Gator Skeet and Trap

5. traploader

traploader Member

Go with a set of modified Western Skeet Machines from Western Retro Products. All mechanical design proven to work well in cold weather. Each hold 520 targets.

Ian Brotherston - Western Retro Products

6. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

I live in Montana and have 6 sets of Mattarelli skeet machines and 1 trap. They throw a great target and are one of the lowest maintenance machines you will ever try. We have no trouble in cold weather with these machines. All we did was change the trans oil to synthetic and even at 20 below we can shoot. ( I personally don't, but you can.)
    There is a club in Denver ( Buckley ) that has 5 sets of them and you could talk to those guys to find out how they like them. We will be shooting Zone 7 there this coming August.
    Any question I will be happy to help.

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

For Skeet, you might look into the Beomat machines as well. We use them in Missoula in all weather conditions.

For the trap machines we use the GMV superstars in all 18 of our trap houses - again in all weather conditions.

john

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We have two GP's for sale but they don't throw doubles.

9. suptlloyd

suptlloyd Member

320090T:
    What are you asking for the GP's? Lewistown, MT club is looking for a singles machine.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

laporte trap machines

laporte trap reviews

laporte traps for sale

mattarelli

mattarelli skeet machine

mattarelli traps
oil skeet machines for sale
skeet machines for sale