1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lanny Bassham's Mental Management Shotgun Blog

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mimi, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimi

mimi TS Member

Lanny Bassham

Lanny Bassham's Mental Management Systems has a new blog for shotgun---includes articles on the mental game!

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks for posting that.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is great and it will help a signifigant portion of you but he is wrong!

Larry writes!-

"What percentage of your shooting success is mental? I’ve asked this question to countless champions in my career as both an elite competitor and as a coach. Most say that the mental game is 90% mental or higher. If you agree, are you spending 90% of your time, money and effort on your mental game? No? If not what are you doing and more importantly what should you be doing?"

All though the techniques he utilizes will be usefull to many. Shooting is not a mental sport it is a visual sport. Now if we are to say that the eyes see nothing and it is the brain that registers the images that we see then it is mental.

I am not really dissasgreeing with him just the way he promotes shoting as 90% mental. If that were true then only smart people would excell at shooting.

Chess is a mental sport! Shooting is the lack of mental effort or non mental. When one trains their vision they are training their mind and this is what really seperates the best from the pack.

Learning how to see will indede make the mental or lack of mental part of the equation much easier.

You should check the link it has some good stuff.

I would love to read some comments on this as well.
    Joe

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The term "mental" is loosely used. I believe the better phrase would be "the ability to totally concentrate on one thing for a short period of time and do it many times at will". I have the ability to focus on my targets around 85% of the time. I hit another 10% by reflex. I will hit a few by just luck. I frequently come close to winning, but I often do not win. I need an off-on switch. But, if I had one, I would probably forget to turn it on every time.

Pat Ireland

5. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

cannot think of anything that helped my shooting more than Lanny's book.

started doing what he said, ran my first hundred straight, then 200 in the state championship for my first title. followed it up with another last year.

it will change the way you think about yourself and what you say about yourself, more importantly. never again will i say, "missed one target". from now on, "i broke 99".

from now on, i want to shoot off, not hope i don't have to.

steve.

6. TBAR

TBAR TS Member

I took a refresher class last Friday and now am waitung for the season to begin. Three years ago I didn't understand anything about the mental game, after taking Lanny's 2 day class with a good friend, and seeing the difference after just 2 rounds of practice with Lanny shooting beside us ,m I am a sold believer in the mental game. Lanny can teach and if you want those steps up to All-American then he's THE MAN. Mike Westjohn

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the zone. HMB

8. TBAR

TBAR TS Member

hmb, the zone was one of a couple of reasons that I took Lanny's class, I was experiencing the zone some 4 or 5 years ago and I wanted the zone to come every time I stepped to the line to shoot,only it doesn't work that way. Lanny has a system that that is always available and if you do your part, the zone isn't necessary, but when it comes on it's own, then that's just the chocalate on the sundae! Break em one at a time and the score will take care of itself. Smoking 1 target and feeling everything just right, is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Mike Westjohn

9. mimi

mimi TS Member

http://mentalmanagement.com/seminars.html

That link should go to the Mental Management website Seminars page with more info. Mental Management Systems is located in Flower Mound, Texas (a suburb of Dallas), and seminars that are held at the office use the Dallas Gun Club for the shooting portion of the course.

http://mentalmanagement.com/shooting_sports.html

has information about shooting related products (books, audio CDs, etc.) that the seminars are based on and are great introductions to Mental Management techniques.

10. TBAR

TBAR TS Member

Joe, Mimi said it all just right! If your goal it to excell or just improve your game,or even improve in your job or all other areas of your life, then take the 3 day class with a couple of friends and spread the cost between you, and them. I know Lanny"s teaching area will accept 4 or 5 comfortably. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lanny bassham