1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Land mines in our community

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

they found land mines in our community , Strathroy,Ontario,Canada.
    Anybody know anything about these things. Give me your email I will send article. Maybe we could post on trapshooters.com.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

Yes!!! I do know about those things,,,,what do you wish to know???

AKA Grammie......

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

...looks like Princess Diana never paid a publicity visit to Ontario...

4. Joe Woods

In today's newspaper it shows a picture. Give me your email. I will send it.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

joewoods-There was a time I worked for a company named UXB International. They were a civilian compant composed of (mainly) EOD Technicians (ex-military). We worked an area located in New Jersey that made all types of explosive shells/mines from WW I through WW II. On occasion a building would blow up (by accident) and explosive devices would be found miles away from the explosion point. Has such operations been conducted in your area in the last 50 years or so? Just a thought. Hope they get cleaned up without incident.
    There is an unbelievable amount of things in the ground that will go boom that no one has a clue about.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Joe Woods

They found them south of town,rural area, in creek bottom.
    The locals have lots of questions.

Joe Woods/Ontario.

7. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

They are ALL OVER my yard, they are planted by my black lab and the yellow one is in on it TOO. Got watch the both, Sh** Happens.

8. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

JOE...Mole runs in both the front and back yards of my house have rendered them dangerous. Have trap harvested 14+ moles in the past two years. But does not end the digging!

I am willing to give your wet land mines a chance. How can I get some? How did you get yours? Why did you put them in the water?

I am considering flipping the mines upside down and gently leaving them on the surface of the main mole runs. Damage should not be too severe because the mine would blast into the air after mole detonation, but harvest the mole.

9. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Ok, I read the article from the Star and it looks as if the assumption is that these are very old land mines. So using the anti war left logic let’s just say they are not really there at all. After all the anti war anti Bush crowd have said of the WMD found in Iraq, they were possibly made over 15yrs ago, consequently Iraq had no WMD and Bush lied to start a war. So would that mean that if these mines are more then 15yrs old, they don’t exist. I say the Canadian Government (also anti war and anti Bush) should forget about these because they simply do not exist (because they are old) and let their kids continue to fish for crawdads and play in that area. After all the left anti war crowed would have you believe that Iraq’s DMD were of no danger because they were pre 1991 and could harm nobody. Just my thoughts!

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

They were left there by skeet shooters who were getting ready to mine the trap ranges in the area ... be careful next time you go to shoot trap.

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Get rid of your grubs and you'll get rid of the moles.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think Grammie had to get rid of them so he dumped them on a fishing trip...

13. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

JB...Have treated the ground for grubs for years. No grubs. Moles eat worms. Watered lawns have them. So these underwater mines should work.

14. goldengirl

goldengirl TS Member

BOY GEO W. put them there

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Just spray those mines with WD-40 and the water will disappear. They should be good for a copuple more years. LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is the story from the London Free Press. Bill Malcolm

Girls find landmine

Sun, August 5, 2007

By JONATHAN SHER, SUN MEDIA

This mine, likely an anti-vehicle model, experts said, was found by two teens out with their mother and dog for a walk Friday. A bomb-disposal team found another nearby yesterday.

STRATHROY -- A country creek where children swim, fish and frolic was instead swarmed by police yesterday as Canadian Forces explosives experts detonated two live landmines.

The mines, found in a culvert that runs under Inadale Drive between Strathroy and Mt. Brydges, appeared to have timers and were likely the type used to blow up tanks, Strathroy-Caradoc police say.

One mine was discovered by two girls Friday. They called police, and a second mine was found yesterday morning, only one metre away from the first.

Unsure if more mines are hidden nearby, Strathroy police asked the OPP to conduct a sweep. It was to have been done by dusk yesterday.

The creek is popular with families, so police suspect the mines were put there to maim and kill, or in callous disregard of that possibility.

"The senseless loss of life or grievous bodily harm that could have taken place at this creek -- it's reprehensible," Strathroy-Caradoc police Sgt. Mike Overdulve said.

The potential for devastation was evident yesterday as a military team detonated the mines from a safe distance.

The force of the blast ripped bark and limbs from a tree and sprayed water so high it could be seen by observers a kilometre away.

"I could feel the percussive force," Overdulve said, "It was 100 times louder than any fireworks you ever heard."

Seven centimetres thick and 25 centimetres in diameter, the mines appear to be the kind used to disable tanks.

"We can't definitively prove that, but that is the direction we are leaning," Overdulve said.

After the detonation, the explosives experts found debris "consistent with timers," he said.

The first mine was found Friday afternoon by nearby resident Lynn Denning, who walked to the creek with her two teenage daughters so that their yellow lab, Jesse, could enjoy the cold water.

"It's upsetting," she said.

While Inadale is a two-lane country road, many residents cross the culvert to commute to London, Denning said.

"There's quite a lot of traffic during the week," said Denning, who commutes to work at London Health Sciences Centre.

The family called Strathroy-Caradoc police, who sought help from the OPP, who called in the explosive ordinance disposal team from CFB Base Borden.

The explosives team left its base 100 kilometres north of Toronto at 6:20 a.m. yesterday.

"We responded quickly -- we take this matter quite seriously," said Capt. Cheryl Swarbrick, a base spokesperson.

Their presence was soon felt and heard on a normally quiet, tree-lined road.

"I've seen hand grenades and ammunition, but I never encountered anything like this," Overdulve said.

Until a year ago, Overdulve lived near the creek, taking his three kids there to fish so often, they called it "crayfish creek."

"This area is typically occupied by children, who come here to play," he said.

POLICE SEEK WITNESSES

Anyone who has recently been to the creek beneath Inadale Road between Strathroy and Mt. Brydges, or has seen anyone acting suspiciously near the creek, is asked to call Strathroy-Caradoc police at 519-245-1250

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, I Grammie wouldn't want the Strathroy-Caradoc police to be reading this thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.