1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

laminate wood flooring

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pj 999, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thinking of using laminate wood floor instead of sheet vinyl in a couple of rooms when I remodel them. Anybody had any success or advice in this field? Would be on crawl space with wood joist and plywood or osb subfloor. Any help would be appreciated. Foam or tar paper underlayment, what thickness of laminate, etc. Thanks, Paul

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

PJ: my house is done with it. First was glue together then I did the basement with the snap together. Foam under lay. Very easy to do your self. Tape measure, and a saw with the blade turned around backwards.Cut 1/4" wood strips to use as a spacer when you start against a wall. Base board moulding goes over it. This allows for expansion and contraction. Birdtracker

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

it is ok if you dont have a leak damp mop ok but leak from dish washer or refg and you will have mess
    the new foam backed os nice and quite.
    I have put several in in new room is very fast in a remodel kitchin where cabnits are installed good luck. watch your chair feet and NO roller wheels unless they are rubber.
    watch about concrete make sure no hydrstatic problem

4. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Use the best foam backing you can get. Densities range from light like the styrofoam sheet packing material to heavy like wetsuit material. The heavy stuff will give the laminate a more real natural hardwood like sound.
    Barney

5. maka

maka Member

We had a pro come in. For info, his firm installed 5000+ ft. of teak in a Burger yauth. He look our viynal over a was wondering why we were redoing? He installed, (Bruce hardwood) our choice, over the viynal. He indicated not only was it a good barrier but a cushion as well. Five years latter and no problems yet. Good luck.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I installed it in one of my rental properties. I used the foam recommended by the salesman who sold me the flooring. Hope he knew what he was talking about. I had a few problems with the expert installer. In a few places he tapped the flooring together a little too tight and caused a raised ridge between sections. This was corrected by taking them out and lightly pushing them together. Also, in a few places, especially around doors, he did not leave enough space between the wall and the edge of the floor to allow for expansion. A 1/4 is the minimum space required. Again, corrected this by taking up one section of the floor. The last problem was in one area he nailed the quarter round through the floor instead of directly into the sub floor. This resulted in an expansion problem. All of these mistakes were easily corrected. After all, I had hired an expert installer. He told me so.

Pat Ireland

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

So not to take over the thread, we are very close to putting laminate in our basement. It is a dry, walkout basement, what is hydrostatic problem?

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We got rid of carpet in most of the house, and went snap together laminate. Do not get cheap foam backing. Buy the dense high quality backing. Yes, it costs substantially more, but it insulates better, dampens noise better, and the floor sounds like a wood floor, not tile. Most of the winter we can walk on it in bare feet and not feel like our feet are freezing. However, we were putting this down on 2x6 tongue and groove subflooring covered by 3/4" particle board or water rated plywood (used the latter in the kitchen). In a basement with a cement floor, if it was me, I'd put down a moisture barrier paper, then put plywood over that, then the pad and laminate. And only if there was no issue with moisture.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

no sent you pm
    way to check for hydostatic problem take a clear piece of plastic --food wrap will work-- tape it to concrete with duck tape.. in about 1 to 2 days if it sweats you got a problem
    AND there is NO fix. only tear out floor put plastic down and repour

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thanks to all, you can't beat personal experiences to research a subject. Hope to do project sometime this next year. Will welcome more comments, advice and etc. Thanks Paul

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My wife and I put a 24 x 14 floor down in a day. We used the snap together flooring and the good foam backing ... that was in 2001! It still looks great and we have had zero problems or issues. I allowed 3/8 all around the floor as there are large windows on 3 walls. I figured the heat in the summer would expand a bit more than the 1/4". Other than that I just followed the instructions on the box!s

Bob Schultz

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Bob, you are so dainty and light on your feet I suspect walk only on the very tips of your toes. In your home, a 10 year old floor should look better than a new one. Others of us are flat footed stumblers.

The real test will be in my rental property. Based on past experience, I have budgeted new floor coverings every two years. The laminate floor has been in one for five months. We will see.

Pat Ireland

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yep, 320 pound of dainty here. Merry Christmas Pat!

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Brian, how thick of plywood and what is the reasoning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.