1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I am going to suggest that my wife join me for trap shooting. I do not see many off-the-shelf guns that are suitable for ladies of short stature.

Can you recommend some guns that I should look at? What do the 5' 2" women shoot? Thanks for the help.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BT-99 Micro or a shortened Remington 1100.

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Ditto. You can always but a cheap stock for the 1100 and cut to fit. My better half has the Micro but I've had to replace the recoil device a couple of times (Brownings kick like hell without help).

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Beretta RL 391 is also a good start (I'm 5'4). You will, no matter what you end up with, most likely have to add at least an adjustable comb. I now shoot an XT...love it and it fits great (it doesn't kick either).

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Wenig has a Ladies Stoch for the Beretta and Remington shotguns. Suggest you look at his website. If I were starting a lady off this is the way I would go.

TB

6. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

I have for sale, an IAB ladies/youth single barrel trap. Adj pad for LOP, 30" barrel, palm swell, etc. $500.00 plus shipping/ins. If interested, email for pictures or more info.

7. rrose

rrose TS Member

The bigger issue is that the grip of a regular stock that has had the LOP shortened will still have a grip that is too big for small hands. Wenig has their "ladies stock" to fit an 1100, 390-391 and I think a Browning Gold. It is a great stock and well worth the money if you decide on one of those. I have one I bought finished and am in the process now of finishing another one myself for an 1100. You can buy it semi finished and inletted for about 100 if you are handy enough to finish it. Also Beretta has a model that comes with the stock that is adjustable form about 12 3/4 out to regular length but I am not sure what the grip of that is like. Other posters probablly will know.
    Good luck
    randy

8. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thank you for the insights! I appreciate it. I'm 6' 3" so I can't relate very well to the dimensions of someone a foot shorter than me. I hadn't even considered the grip size issue. The big problem is that it's hard to go to even a big gun shop and expect to try some guns that will fit her.

We are not currently in the market for a gun. We'll try the rental guns at the range first, and then go from there.

9. Questor

Questor TS Member

I am going to suggest that my wife join me for trap shooting. I do not see many off-the-shelf guns that are suitable for ladies of short stature.

Can you recommend some guns that I should look at? What do the 5' 2" women shoot? Thanks for the help.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BT-99 Micro or a shortened Remington 1100.

11. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Ditto. You can always but a cheap stock for the 1100 and cut to fit. My better half has the Micro but I've had to replace the recoil device a couple of times (Brownings kick like hell without help).

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Beretta RL 391 is also a good start (I'm 5'4). You will, no matter what you end up with, most likely have to add at least an adjustable comb. I now shoot an XT...love it and it fits great (it doesn't kick either).

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Wenig has a Ladies Stoch for the Beretta and Remington shotguns. Suggest you look at his website. If I were starting a lady off this is the way I would go.

TB

14. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

I have for sale, an IAB ladies/youth single barrel trap. Adj pad for LOP, 30" barrel, palm swell, etc. $500.00 plus shipping/ins. If interested, email for pictures or more info.

15. rrose

rrose TS Member

The bigger issue is that the grip of a regular stock that has had the LOP shortened will still have a grip that is too big for small hands. Wenig has their "ladies stock" to fit an 1100, 390-391 and I think a Browning Gold. It is a great stock and well worth the money if you decide on one of those. I have one I bought finished and am in the process now of finishing another one myself for an 1100. You can buy it semi finished and inletted for about 100 if you are handy enough to finish it. Also Beretta has a model that comes with the stock that is adjustable form about 12 3/4 out to regular length but I am not sure what the grip of that is like. Other posters probablly will know.
    Good luck
    randy

16. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thank you for the insights! I appreciate it. I'm 6' 3" so I can't relate very well to the dimensions of someone a foot shorter than me. I hadn't even considered the grip size issue. The big problem is that it's hard to go to even a big gun shop and expect to try some guns that will fit her.

We are not currently in the market for a gun. We'll try the rental guns at the range first, and then go from there.

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Actually, she might be better off asking the ladies that shoot at your club (range) what they shoot and see if she could try one of those. Makes much more sense (and exerts alot less pain) to try something like that.

IMO, it is rare that a 'rental' gun will work for us women on the first (or second) go-around.

My 2 cents worth.

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Questor........For God's sake, do it right! Get her a Perazzi MX-12.

19. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Browning BT 99 Micro,Beretta 391 RL,Beretta 3901,SKB 85TSS Micro, These would all be good choices.

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

When my wife started trap shooting at 59 she had never shot a gun in her life.
    I thought I knew what would be best for her and found a really nice 1187 that I had the stock cut down to fit her. She hated it, to mechanical, hard to load with a shell catcher, just made shooting to complicated. She borrowed a friends BT99 and said just find me a simple break open single shot like this. I did and again had the stock cut to fit her. ( 5'6" 125lbs.)
    She started to shoot it OK but averaged in the mid to high teens with her scores.
    We went to the Grand last summer and brought the BT99 to the Country Gentleman to have it professionally fitted. We found it wasn't even close to correct and could not be made to fit her unless we bought a new stock.
    We then went out and looked for a whole new gun and she ended up buying a new Browning XT that we brought back to the Country Gentleman for some work. The stock was cut correctly, adjustable pad added, soft touch comb installed and about an hour lesson on correct gun mount.
    She now shoots in the 20's with a lot of 22, 23 & 24's. Gun comes up same way each time and she's really starting to enjoy the sport as we enter her 3rd. year.
    Point is, find a gun SHE likes, then find someone to fit it to her. I'm sure you didn't have someone tell you what to shoot, she shouldn't either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ladies bt99 trap gun
ladies gun trap
ladies trap gun

ladies trap guns

ladies trap shotguns
ladys trap shooting gun