1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies Only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by det131, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. det131

det131 Member

2. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Sounds like you're trying to get new female shooters interested in the sport. Targets should be FREE. Shotgun rental? C'mon. What orginization certifies your instructors? And are they within sight or on the SITE? Dave

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

nsguy plenty of criticism from you. So please tell us just what are you doing to promote the same???

If you aren't do anything why would you criticize someone else's efforts??? For that matter no matter what the reason why are you picking on a club that is making an attempt to promote trapshooting in any way, shape, or form???

Or is it that maybe you just don't like lady shooters? Or trapshooters in general?

Bob Lawless

4. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

det131,

Certified Instructors On *Site not sight

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

To Bucks County Fish & Game. THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS IN THE PROMOTION OF OUR SPORT. There are far too many do nothing cry babys on this site....

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

everthing has a value and I am not aware of any business letting first timers try for free? Golf,Skiing,Bowling,If the woman has the support she do it.
    I just went with my 15yr. old daughter to a indoor pistol range. $20.00 per person to enter plus ammo and targets, we shot a 22,25 and a 380 PRICELESS.

7. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

to ivanhoe,Bob Lawless: I have NOTHING against lady shooters! We have several at our club that whip the guys on a regular basis. It just seems to me to be wrong to charge a gun rental fee plus damn near FULL retail price of ammo! At our club we encourage new shooters by loaning guns and even giving the new shooters ammo! Mostly our reloads, but sometimes NEW! We pay $3.50 per 25 targets,Junior shooters don't pay at all! Please share your wisdom and give me more ideas on how to support and grow this dying sport. Dave

8. ivanhoe

nsguy

"Please share your wisdom and give me more ideas on how to support and grow this dying sport."

Well one thing is for sure knocking someone who is trying to do something to help grow this sport. Just because you don't like the price. Or you don't like the instructor statement.

"What orginization certifies your instructors?"

Are you serious I sure am glad that all the people that have shown me help learning to break targets over the years. Didn't have to be certified because I never would have gotten any help. So tell us all why they need to certified????

"At our club we encourage new shooters by loaning guns and even giving the new shooters ammo!"

Ya you just don't run programs that provide them the tools they need to learn. Here is you're gun and shells have at it, do you even send anyone with them to see that they do things safely?? If so what organization certifies those people?? Because whether you like it or not when they give information on gun handling or safety they are instructing those would be shooters.

Just because there is something you don't like doesn't mean they will get no benefit from it.

Bob Lawless

9. zeke6976

zeke6976 TS Member

nsguy;
    To answer some of your unflattering comments I offer the following. The NRA and the 4H organizations do certify instructors in many disciplines.
    The shells they are using are new and are offered them at the price they pay for them. They will not give new shooters or any event they sponsor reloaded shells simply because of the liability issues associated with using them.
    The firearms that are being provided for the Ladies are not owned by the club they are owned by the individuals who run the trap shooting, and to ask for a $5.00 rental fee, I think is reasonable since they have to transport them to and from the club plus clean them after each use, and make any repairs at their own expense.
    This event is not sponsored by the Club, it is sponsored by the people running the Trap shooting, and they still have to pay the club for the birds, electricity, and air conditioning. So that is why the birds are not free. However you should know that these individuals do provide free shooting for the children in the 4H club and their shooting activities. I am sure if you would be willing to donate some money to cover these expenses they would be glad to take it and the ladies would also be grateful.
    Finally I would like to say individuals like yourself that always put a negative spin on things is exactly why we a ladies day is needed, so that the woman can come out to the club and shoot by themselves without having to deal with nonsense like this.

zeke

10. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

nsguy, you don't want to even think of giving them (or anyone) a reloaded shell! Just ask any lawyer what would happen to you and the club if something went boom! Bad practice! And I believe, that you have to have a license to do that from the feds. I coach a kids team, and have reloaded just about anything that goes boom for a long time and consider myself experienced in reloading but I wouldn't think of giving one of the kids my reloads. Rick Gibbs

11. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I think this is a great idea, more clubs need to try this, I just wish more people put the name of the state also when listing things.

12. Ms Trapshooter

Ms Trapshooter Member

Thank you for thinking about the ladies. I started by taking a Women on Target course at my local club. Had they not included trapshooting in that program, I would never have discovered this wonderful sport. I have been shooting ever since. In fact my husband then started to keep me company. I hope that a lot of ladies take advantage of your program.

13. ivanhoe

Ms Trapshooter a couple of questions if I may. What state did you take the Women On Target course in? What was the name of the Club and what year?

Bob Lawless

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Also, ladies, this what you get when you turn the teleprompter off. Doubt if you'll want to hear all 17 minutes of it, but just try to listen for two. Happy Easter.

15. Ms Trapshooter

Ms Trapshooter Member

Ivanhoe,
    I took the course in 2004 (just after I retired) at the Manheim Sportsmen Association in Manheim, PA. The class included rifle, hand gun, and shotgun. Every time they run this, it fills up very quickly. Not many women who took the course stayed with the trap shooting, but I think that a number of them may compete in handgun events. Although there are not huge numbers of women shooting and/or competing at the clubs around here, I have never felt unwelcome.

16. ivanhoe

Well I for one am glad you found a part of the shooting sports that allowed you to find a way to compete at something it sounds as though you enjoy.

I asked about the Women On Target course as I am in MA. Many clubs in this state run the Women On Target program including my home club. It is a great program and many ladies have seemed to enjoy it. Many have benefited from the experience.

In MA we have a permit system they call it LTC(license to carry)everyone that applies for a new LTC in this state must take a basic hand gun safety course. The Women On Target program qualifies as a basic handgun safety course and every Woman that take the course get a certificate that say she has completed the course.

I have help out many time and I got as much enjoyment out of it as the ladies did. I will always help out every time I get the opportunity. Best of shooting.

Bob Lawless

17. Cooter

Cooter Member

OhioGal,I believe Bucks County Fish and game is located in Doylstown PA,on Turk road.

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Bucks County is a pretty club. The regular shooters are friendly to visitors, too.

19. det131

det131 Member

Boy did this start something. I have not had the opportunity to get back online since I first posted the flyer. I apologize, this will be long.

I did not compose or proofread the flyer when it was given to me, just scanned it and posted. I should know better. Spelling and syntax errors bug me too.

We did this a couple of times last year, worked out well. Some of the ladies prefer a day to themselves. Groups bring food, snacks, refreshments, and make a fun day of it. Some spend more time talking than shooting.

Prices reflect our normal operating costs. Discounts are often offered to first timers and groups, just can't make that a standing policy all the time. If we could offer targets and ammo at cheaper prices we would do that in a heartbeat. Of course ammo is always cheaper when it's BYO. The trap operation at BCF&G is totally shooter supported. No member fees go into operating costs and we pay the cost of targets plus a premium for every bird out of the house to the club. Maintenance, repair, and all other expenses are on us. Unlike the government we can't operate at a deficit for long.

Instructors are both NRA and 4H certified. We can get you shooting and breaking targets in a safe and positive manner. There is no charge for instructor time or materials. We can make referrals to more advanced clinics and coaching if desired.

The club owns no shotguns. Any firearms that are provided to new shooters are the private property of the individual instructors. When I do the 4H'rs, youth field day, Boy Scouts, bachelor parties, birthday parties, or other first time shooters I provide a multitude of firearms that belong to me. If I buy one more I'm going to need a bigger truck. Some of those I have had for longer than a majority of the new shooters have been alive and have been kept in pristine condition. Most of them now show dings and scratches that would never have occurred if I kept them to myself. Since there is not a swarm of other shooters lining up to provide us with their Brownings, Berettas, P, or K guns to lend to the kids and first timers I don't have an issue with trying to build a purchase fund for dedicated loaners by charging nominal rental fees.

OhioGal you are correct and I usually try to make sure I put our club location on every post. BCF&G is located in southeastern PA in Bucks County. Thanks for you positive comments, if you're ever out this way I'll make sure you get a discount. Fact is, to all the ladies here. I work the weekend shoots at the club. Mention this post to me and I will gift you one free round with one paid round. I will, however, not be there this coming weekend, 04/10, as I am taking two new instructors out for NRA certification in western PA.

We shoot registered and practice targets on the first two Saturdays and the third and fourth Sundays of every month year round. In addition we shoot registered and practice targets every Tuesday as well as practice only on Fridays. Expanded summer hours will be starting shortly.

Bucks County Fish & Game
    1745 Turk Rd.
    Doylestown, PA 18901

Google maps provide a nice satellite view of our facilities.

Thanks to all

May you all only see broken pieces fall from the sky.

Jim

20. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

At Old Colony Sportsmens Assoc. in Pembroke, MA http://www.ocshotgun.com/ I try to run a couple of ladies clinics every year. The club supplies the targets and the ammo. (One year the club was trying to hold down the price of rounds and components, the members pitched in and donated a couple of cases of ammo for the clinic) There are a few shorter gents and ladies that gladly loan me plenty of guns so I get a pretty good fit for most of the women and girls. I instruct the basics (this is a clinic for Introduction to Shotgun Shooting) We use the trap field so everyone is pointing and shooting down range without too much gun swinging vs. the skeet fields. Most of the "girls" come in without any knowledge of firearms except fear! They leave the clinic jumping up and down, with the shotguns slung over their shoulders. I now have women, I taught previously, helping with the clinics. Phil Kiner has donated videos several years in a row and I lend them to the new shooters. One year a husband and wife from TS.Com sent me a box of shooting vests I've used at the clinics and have since given away to those that returned to become regular shooters. The REBEL (John) sent me a box with a bunch of doo-dads (patches, etc) that I also passed along. I think it's a great way to get women into the sport....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.