1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies at the Traps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Drew Hause, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Ladies Day, Pahquioque Rod & Gun Club Danbury, Conn. August 15, 1915

382067410.jpg

Mrs. Hammond organized the Nemours Club for women trapshooters in 1913

389607704.jpg

Nemours Trap Shooting Club

388281312.jpg

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nice pictures! I would love to see what their average was espically with those big sxs's as compared to todays women shooters whith their unsingles..

3. Drew Hause

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1898/VOL_31_NO_02/SL3102016.pdf

Mrs. W.P. Shattuck made her first appearance at the traps in 1894, and her first experience with live birds was at the Du Pont tournament, in 1896, when she scored 18 out of 25. At the Elkwood traps she stood at 25yds., and on the first day scored 14 out of 15 in an exhibition match, and in the Nitro Powder handicap grassed 14 out of 15, certainly a very fine showing. In the big handicap event she killed 21 out of 25, losing two birds dead out of bounds, killing 15 birds in succession. Some of her kills were very clever and would have done credit to any of the experts.

For a woman Mrs. Shattuck shoots a rather heavy charge. She uses an L. C. Smith gun weighing 7 3/4 pounds, 3 1/4 drams of Du Pont powder 1 1/4 ounces No. 7 1/2 shot, in first barrel, and 3 1/2 drams, 1 1/4 ounces No. 7 shot in second barrel; loaded in a 3-inch Leader shell.

4. Drew Hause

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

In the year Miss Gleaves won the VA State Championship, 1926, she shot 1150 16 yard birds with a .9200 average. She shot 500 handicap birds with a .9020 average.

6. eightbore

Drew, Harriet Hammond shot registered birds sporadically and in small quantities through the teens and twenties. In the 1920 yearbook and average book, she was referred to as Miss Hammond. There were several Wilmington Hammonds shooting at the time, including a professional, W.M. Hammond. In the mid teens W.M. Hammond relocated to Philadelphia and Harriet was still listed as living in Wilmington. I am guessing that W.M. Hammond was Harriet's father and he probably shot as a professional for Dupont. I would guess that Harriet was a liberated woman who remained at her job, probably with Dupont, when her parents relocated to Philadelphia.

7. Drew Hause

Thanks Bill. She was 'Mrs.' in the link above.

Can't discuss the ladies without Annie :)

Sporting Life April 1, 1899
    http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1899/VOL_33_NO_02/SL3302014.pdf

Annie Oakley, the famous lady shot, is now using a 12-gauge L. C. Smith gun, made for her by the Hunter Arms Co. This gun was put up specially to her order. It has a very fine pair of chain Damascus barrels: on the right-hand lock is engraved a portrait of Annie Oakley in stage costume, and on the left-hand lock the regular portrait that is so familiar to all shooters. In the guard, inlaid in gold, is Miss Oakley’s entire name. The gun is pronounced by everyone who has seen it a magnificent piece of work, and the way Miss Oakley handles it is wonderful.

1899 with her L.C. Smith. In 1901, Annie was badly injured in a railway crash, but fully recovered after temporary paralysis and five spinal operations. She was injured again while touring for U.M.C. in 1908.

370771092.jpg

8. eightbore

Annie may have been shooting the Smith in 1899, but by 1901, she was ordering and shooting Parkers again.

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I should be working, but this is more interesting. The above link is to a page in a publication from 1913, about a shoot Miss Hammond attended. A much simplier time back then.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Very cool thread. Thanks for posting!!!

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Hate to say it and will probably bring me some grief but it looks to me like we have gone down hill since then. jmho Bill

12. recurvyarcher

Yeah...according to you and highflyer women destroy everything in which they are allowed to participate.

13. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

As someone who works at a Historical Center, I really appreciate threads like this. So interesting and fun.

Bill? I'm telling your mother what you said. Recurvy and I could organize all our gear, families and jobs, then pack our trucks, make all arrangements for the drive over to where you are, challenge you to a 400 bird event, kick your sorry butt in trapshooting (and grammar, as it appears), then make it back home seamlessly while spending under $100 doing it, eating healthy on the way, and ensuring "no animals were injured during the making of the journey". Unless, of course, it's pheasant season. Then we'd bring our bag limit home, clean them ourselves, unload everything from the trip into the correct spot, and cook a fantastic pheasant feast for our families while simultaneously celebrating and recounting our win. Over homemade pie from the apples we bought on the way home. After kicking your sorry butt. At trapshooting.

Calamity

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAPLUMBOFF@Calamity!!!!!

Putting a man in his place has never been stated so accurately!!! BG, you sir have been cleaned before the washing starts! :) Hap

15. wm rike

wm rike Member

I like the new policy of straghtaways-only for anyone shooting less than A Class. The darned angle birds are always such a nuisance.

16. recurvyarcher

OMG, Sally....you are a complete RIOT!!! And remember, I would be shooting from a wheelchair even...

17. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Devi,

Wheelchair, kitchen chair, high chair--doesn't matter. You'd still kick it! Sure hope you're feeling better.

Sal

18. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok Ladies! Do you see how they are dressed! Not saying the men are any better,
    just that it looks like we have gone down hill since then. WE meaning society in general not WOMEN. So Calamity and Recurvy bring your "sorry butts" your words not mine, to Mason Michigan and bring it on! Fall team shoot is right around the corner. You AIN"T getting no virgin. Also I would love to meet you both and buy you dinner. LOL Bill

19. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Bill,

Thanks loads for the clarification. Sounds like a plan, and lots of fun too! I promise we'll dress appropriately and would absolutely look forward to some good natured competition and dinner the next time we're in Mason. And if you're ever out Buffalo, Minnesota way I'd love to meet you, buy you a round or 5 at our club and dinner too. Recurvy, wheel yourself up from Kansas!

Calamity

20. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Bill, you're surrounded, out gunned, out numbered and in big trouble with Curvy and Calamity.

I suggest you hoist your nearly white skivvies on a stick now and give it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

famous lc smith shooters