1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lacquer coated Perazzi receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by houbyhunter, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houbyhunter

houbyhunter TS Member

Does anyone know when(year) Perazzi coated MX 2000 receivers with lacquer. I have a plain steel receiver and was wondering if at one time it was coated. It doesn't appear to have any lacquer on it at this time. It has no trace of blueing and it is not nickel plated. SN is 120XXX.

2. Battue

Battue Member

A few people took their blued MX2000’s and carded off the blueing, leaving a raw steel receiver. They look great and with a bit of care, continue to do so. Billy D. Williams, a current skeet World Champion, has an MX2000 in the raw and says that it stays in good condition with a bit of clean-up with Flitz.

A 120XXX serial number is a relatively new gun and I am not aware that Perazzi offered them with lacquer finish.

Pat

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

As far as I know, only the color case hardened receivers had lacquer on them.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

There were quite a few lacquer coated guns, typically the ones that don't have bluing on the receiver.

For instance I have a friend who has an MX14-L that has a clear coat. It's peeling a bit and would look better if all the coating was off.

The best treatment for those guns is to keep the exposed parts well oiled.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most receivers in the raw are considered "coin" finish by Perazzi.

Mine is stamped 2000/8 CO.

6. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

My wife has a SC3 120XXX serial number and it had the receiver lacquered direct from Perazzi, we noticed the engraving getting darker in patches.

At the 08 Grand we were told by perazzi to strip the lacquer off as it was rust starting to appear under the lacquer, apparently I have very salty hands when I perspire and when I shoot or handle the gun I was causing the problem.

We did as told and keep action well oiled, problem solved, no piting or lasting effects from surface rust, engraving and gun look good as new.

Release.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have an MX-3 Special that I polished the receiver and the forend iron in the white. It not only looks great, it seems to maintain its finish with minimal upkeep. I polish it every now and then with Flitz or just plain chrome polish.... Beats bluing any day.... Nothing to wear or rub off.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.