1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Toilet Paper in Detroit Schools

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BT-100dc, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

On FOX News this morning, a Detroit, MI couple were saying that they received a letter from the Detroit School System asking that kids bring in toilet tissue rolls and other janitorial supplies such as plastic garbage bags as the school system is short of money. I thought the Peoples Republik of Michigan, at the very least, could provide basic supplies. Not to mention Detroit's high dropout rate, I wonder what it takes to turn around this downfall? That couple thought the answer was a bailout. BT-100dc

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The downfall cannot be turned around....too late!

Maybe it would be wise to give it back to the Native Americans? But they wouldn't want it either!

Curt

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

High school kids bring toilet paaper to school here too.

It winds up all over town festooned in the tree branches.

Not a good idea.

HM

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

It is hard to help people who won't help themselves.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Think It's bad now wait until the big three really pulls the plug. Detriot looks like a burned out war zone, Toledo is looking worse for ware also.

Decaying cities with rotting abandoned malls, commercail and residentails foreclosers on every corner.

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Having the kids bring T-P to school would reverse the trend. I bet parents have been having them steal T-P for years.

HBT

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We need more government spending!!!

8. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Cheryl Crow probably is on the school board...lol, puablo

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Decaying cities with rotting abandoned malls, commercail and residentails foreclosers on every corner." (sic)

For years, people have lived like kings. A booming economy, low gas prices, and easy mortgage loans encouraged flight from the city to the outskirts. The flight not only took the homeowners away, but the tax dollars of those homeowners left, too. Property taxes support schools. Declining tax dollars = a tightening budget. Simple math/logic/economics.

We have seen our farms sold out to developers, and few were investing into rehabbing the old homes in the heart of the cities. What was once known as "downtown" when I was little became the "inner-city," and with a whole new attitude.

Do you remember when it used to be a fun thing for your mom to take you downtown? Do you remember when houses were not built until there was a sales contract in-hand? I have been a farm girl for most of my life, and I am appalled that Ryan Homes is STILL building new developments in my area, hoping that the buyers will come.

I have seen regentrification work in cities like Buffalo and DC. Now is the time to kindle that trend. It is a proven fact that when neighborhoods are cleaned up and maintained, the crime rate decreases rapidly. A return of homeowners to the city not only helps to alleviate crime and tax problems, but helps the environment: Less commuting = less gas consumption and reduces the need for new roads/streets (so we don't have to cut down trees and pave our green areas), we consume less wood products (so we save some trees), and we reduce the amount of plastics and rubber (used in house-building and replacement of tires).

It pains me to see beautiful old homes and mansions in varying states of disrepair, and our farmlands being turned into parking lots for folks who are under the dilusional thought that they are nouveau riche.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Curvey, I have a friend in Chicago who does neighborhood stuff. Mostly Between Eden's and the lake, up around Touhy ave.

What they have been doing is replacing older homes with good size lots with 4 unit condos. The landowner gets one in return for the property. After construction costs, the balance is split between his financier and my friend.

You can walk around that area, go out to eat or to a movie on foot, or shop without an auto.

I don't know how good it's been lately for my friend, but it was working a few years ago.

HM

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

Don't worry, Obama will send all the money to the depressed black cities and the problem will be over. He promised. He will borrow another couple of trillion dollars to make it happen.

12. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Why don't you have your home work Little Johnny? Sorry teacher but I had to use something when I went the bathroom. There wasn't any toilet paper. That a one the teachers did not hear before but probably will now.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Probably a scare tactic used by the local school board to coerce taxpayers into approving the next school levy.

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

If the butt-wipes on the school board and in the administration just came to school once in awhile, there would be no need for additional TP. Just my $.02

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

There are very few school districts that do not ask for parents and grandparents to contribute some basic supplies such as tissue, hand sanitizer, glue, extra crayons and other staples. There are alsway children that don't have these things because there are parents who cannot afford or don't care if their children have them.

As for infrastructure, that is responsibility of a school board. If they don not care enough to check the schools out then you will have problems that only become exposed when they start to crumble.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Funny they aren't cutting the welfare payments there is plenty of hand out money but the school kid can't clean their own butts unless they bring their own paper. Go figure.

Bob Lawless

17. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=544758&articleId=553137&func=6&channel=Rants+%26+Raves&filterRead=false&filterHidden=true&filterUnhidden=false

18. grunt

grunt Well-Known Member

Obama will change the name of toilet paper to certificates of deposit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.