1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Respect

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I attended a local HS BB game last Friday night and was surprised when the National Anthem was sung how few people removed their hats or placed their right hand over their hearts. This included all ages and races. I'm 46 (not too old or too young) but I get steamed at this lack of respect!

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I regret to say I see the same thing at trap shoots; some can't even stop talking......Bob Dodd

3. FIB

FIB Member

Hi Bob, I noticed the same thing too. It's too bad.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I will say that the majority of the crowds in my area still show respect. I have 2 sons actively in football and bb and attend alot of games. I always look around and it still pleases me. BTW, Im in Nebraska, and a rural community.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I was attending a soccer game several years ago when they were playing the national anthem. A man of about 30 was standing there talking and did not remove his hat. I noticed this older woman of probably about 80 staring at him. About halfway thru the anthem, she walked over to him and literally knocks his hat off. He did not know what to do or say. I loved it.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Others frequently do not remove their hats when the National Anthem is played, or when they are in a restaurant. I regret the lack of respect and politeness that is so common now.

I have always removed my hat during the presentation of the National Anthem. And, as I was instructed by a shooter who is a retired Marine Sergeant, my upper arm is parallel with my upper body, my forearm is parallel with my belt line and my hat is held by the tip of the bill at a right angle to my forearm covering my heart. Kenny (retired Marine) would bite the head off of any other Marine in civilian cloths who did not do it that way. Marine Sergeants are quite proficient at biting off heads.

Pat Ireland

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The lack of respect is a direct result of parenting. There are a lot of good kids today ( but) there are a lot of them that need the sh** kicked out of them). Every time I see one of these disrespecftful young people I look at them and wish that they could go into the Marine Corp. They would come out totally different or be given a general discharged or worse. I really believe there is good in everyone. Too bad our parents today have no clue how to teach respect to their kids. We live in the best country in the world and if you don't appreciate it & rspect it, leave it. Thats my motto and that goes for our President as well. He is a pis* poor example to our kids today. Discipline just does not seem to exist today, look at our govt officials? Sorry to sound like a radical but on this topic I am. It is really disturbing to me to see what is happening to our future generation. Even with all this I am not giving up on America
    [​IMG]

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Our's is a dying culture in a dying country. When women lose respect for men, children lose respect for parents and nobody respects anyone anymore. We have no respect for family, God or country. There is no respect in our schools and no respect for our laws. Liberalism has succeeded. Anyone that can't see anymore that we are a dying country is stupid or has their head in the sand. I myself don't respect our government anymore. Our government is responsible for our rot, both our politicians and our judges.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Our government is not responsible for our decline. We voted to make it the way it is! Now if voting doesn't control what happens, then we can blame the government. It is our own undoing, we have been bred out of majority, and bargained away into corruption by the very people we chose to elect. Our slide has just begun! but don't infringe on anybodies right while it happens!

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

lack of respect from a young age. That and way to many attorneys

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland - FYI. Your Marine Corps buddy is not quite correct. Effective 14 October 2008 military veterans are no longer required to remove their head gear and are also authorized to render a hand salute when not in uniform during the playing of the National Anthem or during the during the raising, lowering or passing of the American flag. We have U.S. Senator James M. Imhofe, R-Oklahoma, an Army veteran, to thank for this important piece of legislation, which is now law. This legislation was signed by then President George W. Bush on 14 October 2008, a great day. Further I personally don't have a problem dealing with those individuals who display a lack of respect to our country at the beginning of a registered trap shoot. Been there; done that.

Jon Reitz

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Don't blame the kids, they are a product of their environment. If there is blame then it rests with a decay in values that has been occuring over the past few decades.

They still say the pledge of allegiance in the public schools here and guess what, the kids do respect our colors because they were taught to. Good old small town USA, I want to think there are still quite a few towns like mine. I think we do the next generation a huge disservice if we fail to emphasize the importance of our flag and need to have pride in our country. Kids want to believe in good and that they live in a good place. Not real hard to play into this through our own actions.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It is not just a lack of respect it reflects the overall coarsening of our society. Parents AND teachers are to blame. Shame on them!

I see the fools sitting in restaurants, eating with baseball caps on. Their children are with them. What are they learning? When these kids throw this back in their parents face, they fully deserve it. I grieve for a more civil and respectful time.

14. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

While I understand people's frustration with a lack of respect during the national anthem, I really don't understand the comments on here regarding the removal of caps inside of a restaurant. I was raised to always remove my hat when entering a building, but it was just a mannerism, nothing more. Not a sign of respect for the building or the other occupants, just something that people did. Now people a.) don't wear hats nearly as often as they once did and b.) don't take them off when entering a building. Women also don't wear gloves when going shopping any more, nor do they wear only a skirt or a dress when going out. Has that ruined our society? Really? What makes a McDonald's or Denny's so special that I need to remove my hat and show off a massive display of hat-hair? I'd rather people leave their hats on while I eat my dinner, thanks.

--Dan

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- I would rather them remove their hats in a restaurant, but I could live with hats on and no cell phone conversations in restaurants.

Pat Ireland

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its not just the parents fault, our school system hasn't taught respect for anything but "self"!!!

I graduated in 1973, there was never a single class, even history class, that talked about how to treat the American Flag!!

It wasn't until I got into the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts did I hear anything concerning the Flag and how to treat it.

And guess what comes out of the school system now, and I have heard it even in 4-H, "the Boy Scouts are a bad group and should not be joined"

NOW don't come back at me about 4-H, I am just telling you what I heard and what to look out for.

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I see the same problem where I live.

Here's the solution.

You want your kids to show respect to the flag, to the uniform, to the chain of command.

Enroll them in a JROTC program.

The vast majority of the kids in those programs exhibit behaviors that you would describe as "old school". They learn how to wear the uniform, how to show respect for the flag and our country and to honor the chain of command. I've seen it in my own son - just remarkable. Now my boy is a dyed in the wool libertarian but you cannot say anything bad to him about the POTUS, he won't hear of it, he may not respect the man in the office but he swears to respect the office itself.

Support your local high school JROTC program and the wonderful instructors (retired military) that take the time to teach our kids how to love, honor and respect our country. It takes work, it doesn't just happen.

And there is nothing wrong with pointing out to somebody to remove their hat or to stop talking during the anthem or flag ceremony, just do it politely, most folks respond better to a reminder of the protocol. Knocking somebody's hat off will likely get you into an ugly argument that could be easily avoided. Just ask them to remove their hat and say thank you when they do. It doesn't cost anything to be civil.

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,I agree with most,but as stated above removal of hat in restaurant was always mannerism,not really respect.I remove mine for Flag,etc.,but have to admit after losing several hats after eating a meal at restaurants I have unfortunately by some here joined the ranks of the uncivilized and am guilty of eating with a hat on.In the Sanctuary of a church,yes,hat off,any other part of a church,it's a building nothing more.

Doug H.

19. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

This post touches a sore point in me for sure. I was taught to not only remove your hat indoors but to remove it and put it over your heart when the national anthem is played (or salute with it on if you are a veteran). This lack of respect is obvious wherever you go and whoever you look at. 2010 Daytona 500 National Anthem sung by the Zak Brown Band. I hope he heard me yelling at my tv when he didn't remove the stupid ski hat he wears while singing! Lack of respect? Probably more ignorance than anything.

blade819

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What makes me even more furious is some politically correct morons want to get rid of the present national anthem for something "less violent".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.