1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Labrador puppy breeding contract question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by magnumshot, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I am looking at a purebred lab puppy and the breeder has a few that they would like an owner to keep the dog intact. They have a couple with very good traits that they think would be good dogs to use for future shows, and to stud. The dam and sire have champion lineage from many generations, and are very good looking dogs. My last lab was not neutered. I trained him to hunt, and be non aggressive. He was the smartest dog I ever met. He knew hand signals, never begged, listened to many commands, never left the property, got my paper for 11 years, and could do about a dozen tricks. This breeder said that after two years they would pay for all certifications for my dog, xrays, etc, and that they may like to show the dog a couple or more times a year if he would qualify, as well as use him for stud if it all goes well. My question is, has anyone ever done this? What would an owner be compensated for something like this? Getting a premium dog is a good thing I figure, and I don't mind what they're asking really. I will train the dog like my last dog. I took a lot of time training, and he turned out very well, but I never studded or showed him. What do you think?

2. A CHANCE

A CHANCE TS Member

Sound to me like they want some one to train and maintain a dog for them.

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Is this lab going to be trained to strictly hunt, take part in field trials and/or be shown in AKC confirmation shows? If field trial work, are you supposed to provide/pay for training by a trainer? If confirmation work, do you know how to train and show a dog? If your dog is used at stud, do you get part of the fee or a puppy? If a puppy, what choice do you get? Have you seen all of the physical certifications of the parents? Do these breeders live near you? If not, are you responsible for delivering and picking up your dog to the breeders for use at stud service and to be shown? And last but certainly not least, is this a co-ownership or full ownership only after a length of time?

4. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I raise and field trial and hunt both labs and setters and have seen this type of contract a number of times, way too complicated for a gun dog pet. There are lots of well bred labs out there that you can just pay money for and skip the complications. My first thought is to pass on that breeding. Just make sure you see the sire and dam and get references if it is a second breeding.
    Life is way too complicated itself to add more complications.
    Live Well

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Get the dog with NO strings attached. If they will not do that then go elsewhere. Tell them you will give it a great home and that is final!!!

6. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Because my previous lab was not fixed, they thought I might be a good candidate for one of their picks from the litter to do this breeder contract. It didn't sound bad to me, but I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I always thought my other dog would have been a good stud candidate. If the dog tests perfect, at their cost, I believe the dog would be shown. I'm not sure what they show exactly. He'd be our house pet. I'd train it to hunt find grouse and search for objects. I worked a lot with my other lab and he was very smart and obedient. I'd work as hard with a new dog. My wife thought it might be fun to be involved if he was taken to dog shows. I was told there is compensation for using as a stud, and also the possibility of a pick of a litter. I think that's jumping the gun a bit though, but I guess I should have that exactly spelled out if I go through with this. The dam belongs to the breeder, and was studded by another breeder's dog. My vet recommended this breeder.

7. pdq

pdq Member

I think you need to get more advice before agreeing to anything. In my limited experience, training for the show circuit is different than for field work. Plus there's the grooming. This all would seem to mean time you'd be without the dog in addition to time away attending the shows. Further, I have heard of contracts where the dog had to perform stud service, but it wasn't open ended, i.e. once, twice, etc., and there's often then a clause giving you pick of a puppy from each litter, and as someone stated, do you get first choice or the last choice.

Sounds like they are making it complicated and 1 sided.

Pete

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you buy the dog, he is yours period. You could tell the breeders that you would be willing to discuss putting your dog up for stud but there would be a fee for that. If you hunt your dog hard like I do, he probably won't be much good for show anyway as he will generally show a lot of 'field wear' (fence cuts, weight changes,etc.)

Bottom line is once the breeder sells the animal they give up all rights to the new owner. Anything else is not a sale. (don't be a sucker)

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you need more details. If you show him, your going to have to be there and make sure they don't try to breed him while your back is turned at a show (at night). Then there's the cost of you going and staying blah,blah,blah. If they give you the dog it may be a good option??? If I paid for the dog, and did not want to pay for all the dog shows Well!!! Bottom Line!!! "Do You Really Want To Show Your Dog 3 Times a Year" ??? Good Luck and Break-em all Jeff

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

This is not uncommon among show dog breeders. I think that you need to evaluate the breeding since it seems the breeder has a good show line and you want a dog with strong field breeding. In some breeds the show and field dogs look very different but with Labs they can look very much alike but still be very different with regards to performance in the field.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Show dogs have this all the time

Easiest thing is to ask the people how this works and tell them that you arent intersted in going to shows if you arent

From your dogs perspective alone- I think he would go along with the concept of being groomed now and then and then having a night out

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I am in the opposite situation as I am getting a 12 week old bitch out of AKC champion parents. There are only 3 non champions in 5 generations of the parents. Knowing the owner and both the sire and the dam I got pick of the litter.
    I have to sign a paper that I will have her spayed before she is 1 year old to get the papers. This is standard for breeders of quality dogs so that they don't end up in a puppy mill selling puppies with their name on them.
    The last thing that an owner has to worry about is finding a stud for their bitch. There are Ch. of both field and conformation available for almost all breeds especially Labs. Someone has already mentioned how hard it would be to keep the dog and his coat in show condition for the ring. If he shows conformation you have to pay a handler $50 to 75 every time he goes in the ring plus the cost of getting him in shape and boarding him.
    When breeding the bitch always goes to the stud not the other way around and if you stud the dog or the other people do it it is the same.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to pass on this and do more research on breeders and labs before getting one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.