1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Labor day weekend shoots around the Chicago area ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dennisw, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Where is the best place to shoot for 3 days around the Chicago area (within 150 miles) on Labor Day weekend??? Are there any?? Will I have to shoot in 2 or 3 different places???

Thanks for your Suggestions

Dennis

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

anybody??

3. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Heartland Grand in Ackley, IA = Start on Tuesday and shoot through Monday 9-1-08. Come across on Hwy 20.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Chicago Metro area is a big place, what town are you staying in if not Chicago itself?.

No one club is open daily and public access is getting scarce. If you'll shoot steel, Naperville is open on Th/Sundays. Otherwise, St. Charles (Elburn) has Th/Sa/Su hours - both have public access.

If Downers Grove (Morris) will let you slide in, they have Th AM/Fri PM/Sa/Su hours.

Enjoy your stay in Chi-Town,

Jay

5. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

X-line Gun Club, Kankakee, IL registered shoot Monday Sept 1 per Trap and Field. Directions: I-57 exit 312, go east on IL 17 one mile Splear Rd go north to T intersection turn east mile 1.5 miles to club. Per ATA web site. After the 90 degree left turn, turn right into Club, stay left down the hill to back side of club house.

Depending on starting point, could be a long ride.

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I hear that if you go to the SOUTH SIDE of Chicago there is plenty to shoot at..but beware they shoot back. Just pick an area where there are two groups wearing different colors...should be plenty of shooting to happen.

Forrest

PS I am glad I live in the western burbs!

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Dennisw:

If you're willing to consider 250 miles...

The Brittany Shooting Park (home of the Illinois state trapshoot near Gillespie, IL.) is hosting the annual Silver Dollar shoot on Aug. 30, 31st, and Sept. 1. They're throwing 300 registered targets/day. The program starts at 9:30am, Sat. - Mon.

There's $1,000 added money for the Sept. 1st handicap event courtesy of Don Brown Chevrolet ($750) and the Brittany ($250).

You can get more details at www.brittanyshooting.com

sissy

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Winchester Gun Club in Kenosha (about 50 miles north of Wilmette/Evanston) - Exit 229 off I-94. 1/2 mile north of Hwy K on West frontage road. Might be having an unregistered club shoot all weekend, but not sure. Phone 262-835-1112. Singles and handicap, no doubles. Skeet, Sporties and 5 Stand.

Boxhorn in Muskego, Wisconsin (about 65 miles) - Exit 231 off I-94 at Hwy G, west to 45, north thru Muskego. Phone 414 425-0337. Singles, handicap, doubles. Skeet, Sporties and 5 Stand. http://www.boxhorngunclub.com

9. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

10. cle

cle Member

Howard Township Conservation Club - Niles, MI

LABOR DAY SHOOT
    Friday - 500 Pair & 500 HC
    Saturday - 100-100-50 pair
    Sunday - 200 Singles - 100 HC
    Monday - 50 pair 0- 200 HC

Great Club-Well Run Shoots-Throws Lots of Targets and Knows What They're Doing.

11. cle

cle Member

Howard Township CC - 95 miles almost all expressway/interstate from Chicago Loop. I-80/94 can get real crowded on a holiday weekend.

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Can't find out much about this club, but it sounds like a possibility.

How many traps? Are these registered targets?

13. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Niles Michigan, yes i have shot there a couple years ago, It is a Great little club. The saturday 500 handicap sounds like a possibility.

Do you have shells available???

Thanks for the info

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Dennis, I just spoke with Ernie Lehman; nice guy. The 500 caps and 250 pair doubles are on Friday, not Saturday. You can shoot all or any 100 bird portion.

It's a four trap club, and they're registered birds.

Think we'll try this one on Sunday.

The club is northeast of Niles. Double check these directions, but from Chicago, take Hwy 12 from I-94 to M-60. 3 miles to Barron Lake Road, go north 1.7 miles to Terminal Road. Club is one mile west. Google Maps: 2601 Terminal Rd Niles, MI 49120; you can see the club in satellite view.

15. cle

cle Member

Typed the program in a vertical column. TS just jammed them one after another.

Should read:
    FRIDAY: 500 pair & 500 HC /// --
    SATURDAY: 100-100-50 pair /// --
    SUNDAY: 200 Singles & 100 HC /// --
    MONDAY: 50 pair & 200 HC.

Depending where you start from in Chicagoland get to I-80/94 (the straight ahead extension of I-294 - TriState Expressway) across thru Hammond & Gary Indiana. STAY ON I-94 toward Detroit. Exit on US 12 at New Buffalo, MI heading East to Niles. Where 12 & M-60 split on the southside of Niles M-60 is straight ahead - take M-60 to Barron Lake Rd. Turn North (left) on Barron Lake Rd. Terminal Road will be on the left - turn left - club on right.

16. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

Unless things have changed there is a Triathalon (sp?) at Barron Lake on Saturday morning. This takes place right at the turn off of M60 at the fire station and Stop In Resturant. It will be crowded that morning with runners and or bikers depending on when you are passing throught the area. This will slow your drive down or they may have a short road blockage to get runners or bikers onto the course.

If you go over on Friday for the 250 pr of dbls or 500 caps, there has been a spaghetti supper at the fire house. Athletes are doing some carbo loading, but is open to the public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.