1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"LABOR DAY SAT GRAND" Would U go?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by NintyT, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NintyT

NintyT Member

While reading the minutes of the Dec EC meeting, I noted that Dale Stockdale had requested a Satellite Grand American at his club in Iowa. It was discussed and decided there was "no market demand" for another Satellite, and denied.

I thought this forum might be a good spot to let the EC know that I believe there is a demand. Shooters in the "midwest" and northwest, are somewhat neglected when it comes to sat grands. There are two at Odessa and two in Tuscon. For shooters in IL, IA, NE, MN, ND, SD, IN, and probably others, the only sat grand within a full days drive is the Great Lakes Grand. All the others are at least two hard days driving or a plane ride.

So let's hear from you, would you go?

Steve Johnson

2. ccridr

ccridr Member

Midwest S/G

Yes, I would attend.
    Colby

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Yes, a sat grand would be good...........good only for the locals.

There are only so many weekends in a year, and some of the smaller clubs in the area have had certin dates for years. You would really hurt these clubs, which are the backbone of our ATA.

Money is tight now, with the cost of fuel and lead at an all time high.We don't need any more Sat. Grands...Lets support the smaller clubs.

4. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Labor Day is in Sept., not May.

5. Sonny

Sonny Member

Dale has held a Labor Day shoot at his club for 20 years. I think this is perfect way to support a local small club!I think it would be grat to have satalite grand in the Iowa.Yes I would attend.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Based on the financial statements, with two exceptions, the current Satellite Grands do not seem to be well attended.

Pat Ireland

7. NintyT

NintyT Member

Pat,

I appreciate your comment, but are you implying we should eliminate all but the two most profitable. Mr. Stockdale must believe he could turn a profit, and increase his attendance, or he would not propose such an idea.

Maybe I'm watching out too much for my own interests here. I just want the opportunity to shoot another Satellite Grand. A more centralized location in the midwest seems to have merit, in my opinion.

Were any studies or surveys conducted, by Mr. Stockdale, or the ATA, to determine how the organization might be best served when it comes to Satellite Grands?

Keep the comments coming guys. Would you go?

Steve Johnson

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I attended the Labor Day Shoot at Stockdale Gun Club for the first time in 2007, based on the recommendation of someone I know who lives in Ackley, Iowa. I had a great time, it's a great place to shoot, and anyone who hasn't shot there is really missing something. I plan to attend in 2008 - I've already got a hotel reservation.

That said, I'm not sure how Dale would be able to host a SG at his place. It doesn't seem big enough, with just 10 fields and a clubhouse smaller than most. I would also be concerned about the availability of accommodations since there really isn't much around except Iowa Falls and they only have a couple of motels. I have no idea if getting a SG would trigger additions to the facility to possibly address some of the capacity issues, so that might be a non-issue if that were the case.

As a midwestern'er, I would plan to attend. Doesn't sound like it's going to happen, however.

Scott

9. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Sept. 1 is opening day for doves. Nope..........Roger

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- Actually, I might attend. I have not visited Iowa for several years. But, I can't get away from the financial problems. If it is true that the club has only 10 fields, that presents some additional problems.

I do understand your enjoyment of Satellite Grands. I am packing today, and will leave this Wednesday for the Dixie Grand. Forecast temperature at Silver $ when I arrive is in the low 80's.

Pat Ireland

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

No! Will be at Maryland's Handicap shoot....good competition and better payout's.

Curt

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well, Pat, if you can't attend Stockdale's shoot, try to make it to the Iowa State Shoot, which I think is usually the last week in July. I can just about guarantee you some temps in the 80's that time of year......Or maybe a little higher.

Stockdales is a great place to shoot and his Labor Day shoot is usually attended by some notaries that sometimes post on this board. Neil being one of them.

Hauxfan!

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Pat, you have piqued my curiousity with your statement "Based on the financial statements, with two exceptions, the current Satellite Grands do not seem to be well attended."

The Spring Grand fills up with presquadding and restricts entrants, so must be well attended. My impression is that the Southern Grand does well. I have been to the SW Grand several years in a row and it seems well-attended to me. I used to live in Michigan and the Memorial Day Shoot then was always well-attended. I believe that shoot is now called the Great Lakes Grand. Which are the two regional Grands that you consider to be well attended, and what are the problem ones?

15. Ertz

Ertz Member

It is something I would make every effort to attend. I hear nothing but great things about his Labor day shoot.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I attended the Western Grand ( Labor Day ) in Spokane a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the Shoot. I understand there is a very significant financial committment for the hosting gun club to pay for the ATA Trophy package. A realistic estimate of anticipated attendence is a must for any club considering a satellite grand.

17. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I woould go for sure. Maybe it could be at Sparta.
    Pat Haskins

18. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

If any one could make this work Dale can. He runs a very good shoot. Always like shooting at Stockdales.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pocotello- Expenses to host a Satellite Grand include $10,000 (last figure I knew about) to the ATA to cover trophy package, mailing programs and some travel expenses. There is often little profit for a club unless it can draw 1500 shooters and around 1000 of these shooters must shoot every event. Many clubs can make more profit hosting a local shoot with 20 squads than they can make by sponsoring a Satellite Grand.

Pat Ireland

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

One thing I liked about the Western Grand was the opportunity to watch some of the Top Dawgs shoot. The Western Grand is held around Labor Day and sorry folks but there is no way to hold two satellite grands in the same time frame. The attendence would be split and both hosting clubs would lose a bundle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.