Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Label addresses - duplicate copy needed

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Rollin Oswald 
#1 ·
I use the addresses sent by PayPal to print labels to use for mailing books that are ordered. It works well but I also need a duplicate copy so I can note when the order was placed and when a book is or will be mailed.

I now print labels on label sheets of 30 labels using MS Word. I then use Word to print the same address on a blank sheet of paper in the same position as was used on the label sheet.

Just now, I failed to select the use of printing only one label and printed 30 of the same address on the plain-paper copy sheet used for my easily accessible order history.

I am hoping that one of you computer wizards can suggest a better way to keep a copy of all the labels I print in a format that will allow me to add a line indicating when a book was or will be mailed.

A sheet of labels, each with a carbon copy that remains in place on the label sheet would be ideal but I have not been able to find any. (I use a laser printer, which obviously cannot not make carbon copies.)

Any suggestions you can offer will be sincerely appreciated.

Rollin

See less See more
#4 ·
HM - I don't know if PayPal use "order numbers" and I've not heard of it before. They are changing things next month so I'll have to wait and contact them after the changes are made.

JB - I would have to do it one label at at time as I create them. I may have Excel software on a disc but I'll have to check. I have never used it so that alone might be a problem.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Rollin

#5 ·
Rollin,
Three ideas:
You could use an MS Excel worksheet as a simple database, record your data and then build a label template in MS Word that links directly to your spreadsheet and prints each label twice, once for the package and once for your records.

...or you could use MS Access to create a database and build an Access Report that you could use to print the labels. The database would be your record keeping and you could always print a hard copy of your data if you are worried about computer failure.

The simple, non tech savvy way, if your not familiar with Access and databases or linking templates, etc., would be to use a label printer. They are available at Staples for about $100. If you have one of those, you could just print the label twice, once for the package, and the other you could stick on a your 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper for your records.

Smity

#7 ·
HM - If the "order numbers" you speak of refer to "purchase orders," I have not used them.

JBrooks & Smity - I have MS Office 2007 Home & Student that I bought to get a newer version of Word but I unstalled it because I hage Word 2007. I could not load just Excel without Word 2007, which screwed up Word 2002 that I bought Works Suite 2006 to get.

The MS Access idea is so far over my head that I couldn't even see a vapor trail.

The label printer seems like the way to go.

682LINY - Where did you see the label maker for $50? Online, the ones I saw were $100.

Rollin

#9 ·
Bob,

I use MS word now to print 30/page labels.

What do you mean when you wrote "I would much rather use Words than word anytime.?

When I called PayPal today, in foreign doublespeak, the woman seemed to say that something to the effect that I may not need to change anything and that I may have access to the address labels that I print without using a separate shoot of print paper to print them or use duplicate printing on label print paper.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will wait until PayPal changes (improves) their system next month before further considering a Brother QL-550 (PayPal-required label printer.

Rollin

#10 ·
Bob,

I use MS word now to print 30/page labels.

What do you mean when you wrote "I would much rather use Words than word anytime.?

When I called PayPal today, in foreign doublespeak, the woman seemed to say that something to the effect that I may not need to change anything and that I may have access to the address labels that I print without using a separate shoot of print paper to print them or use duplicate printing on label print paper.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will wait until PayPal changes (improves) their system next month before further considering a Brother QL-550 (PayPal-required label printer.

Rollin

#13 ·
Not a problem, Bob. Your keyboard may be like mine - the positions of keys change from time to time. I try to type very fast to hit them before they have a chance to move but it doesn't seem to help much.

I am considering trying to staple them in place so they can't move.

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.