1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lab health question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

We have a 4 1/2 year old lab. (Overweight like his owner). Recently he developed a dry hacking cough. (Almost like he had something in his throat) He doesn't really cough anything up; although yesterday he did cough up some type of white phlegm. He does not appear sick or anything. I looked his symptoms up on the internet. The condition that most mirrors his symptoms is "Kennel Cough". However, he hasn't been to a kennel in the last 9 months. Anyone ever had this condition with their dog? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ed

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My labs have gotten that dry hack after being in the field or around other dogs in the filed. My vet as advised watching and waiting a few days to see if the bout passes. I've had my current lab in when the problem persisted and he gave her some pills that cleared it up in few days.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dogs do get allergies

Of course there are other things that cause cough- heartworm being one of those and dogs will look overweight often if they have heart conditions

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- I would take him to a small animal vet

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

My Yellow Lab, Lacey, says; TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET!

Frank

5. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Had a lab several years ago that developed a deep cough and two days later he was dead, vet figured it was heart worms. If you are in a heart worm area do not ingore it, have hime checked often. Hopefully its just a cough and he will be fine. Good luck

6. esoxhunter

Made a vet appointment for tomorrow morning. As I stated previously, he is active, alert and does not act like he's sick. He just has that dry hacking cough. Thanks for the input. Ed

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Chet says check it out at the vet....
    frankc_2008_030324.jpg

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Your dog doesn't need to be in a kennel to contract the bordatello virus or bacteria. The bacterial strain is much worse than the virul strain. A few weeks on anti biotics and your dog will be right as rain. The symptoms of kennel cough are more evident in the morning and night. Take heed cause it can really do damage to your dogs lungs. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

9. esoxhunter

Thanks again for the input. We took him to the vet. The vet said he had a viral infection. He gave him a shot and some antibiotics. He is a lot better already. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.