1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

KX6

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I shot one last year at the Grand. While it shot ok and I thought the trigger was pretty good, I thought it felt whippy. I guess it was different than what I am use too. That said, the gun appeared very cheapened and did not live up to the Kreighoff name. The faux grain painted stock just stuck the nail in the coffin. I'm not a big Kreighoff expert by any means but had shopped the KX 5's for quite some time. I think it's an experiment gone wrong. My ever so humble opinion.
  2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The stocks shape is plain ugly. I would not consider buying one. Clyde
  3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I own one and greatly prefer it to the KX-5 that I had in the past. The new gun cocks like a normal gun --- not by using the thumb operating lever like the older ones.

The stock fit is a lot different than the KX-5, which some will prefer and some will not. They don't even feel like the same gun at all. The new KX-6 is a better fit for me.

They come with a standard kick-eez recoil pad installed instead of that pad with the big curved center section that they used to use -- again that is something I think is a good idea as I had to change out that other pad.

The gun has a somewhat lower profile as the rib is slightly different. To loosen the rear of the rib for adjustment there is a lock screw on the rib itself; instead of the allen headed screw that was accessed from the breach end in the past.
  4. maltzahn

maltzahn Member

I purchased a KX-6 at last years Grand. Have just under 10K rounds down the barrel at this point. Considered having a custom stock made for it, but the gun is so gentle in recoil to shoot I would hate to give that up. Still condidering that venture.

I struggled in the beginning getting the POI right for my shooting. Have always set new guns up to shoot 5" high at 13 yards (100%)and then made minor rib adjustments to get them to better center. In the case of the KX-6 a lower POI has been found to work bes, about 4" high. Its been over 15 years since I've shot this low of POI, and about the same amount of time that I went to high rib - heads up trap guns. Going low profile again is like an old friend.

Have not had any machanical or warranty issues. Like the gun other than the stock. May just have it painted but the low recoil is amazing. Will not risk loosing it or the fit.

Maltz
  5. smsnyder

smsnyder Active Member

The gun is a Loser
  6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

I've sold several to happy customers. Much better value than a Perazzi single with a lower price. Lookers tend to love 'em or hate 'em!!
  7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

smsnyder...........Have you given yours time enough to adjust to? What do you find about them you don't like? More info please.
  8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

Allem's Guncraft put a release in one and let me shoot it at Elysburg. There was nothing about the gun that would prevent me from buying it; nothing at all. The trigger, the stock, the action, the movement to the target, were all just fine. I don't understand what people don't like about the stock. I found that both the finish and the configuration of the stock were fine. Some may not understand the reason for the shape of the stock at the butt, but it's a pretty neat concept with trapshooters in mind.

I did not end up buying the gun, but only because I bought another K-80 instead. For the money I think the gun will prove to be a winner.

Respectfully,

Jon Reitz
  9. coyote4

coyote4 TS Member

Purchased one last year, 5K rounds down barrel. Good trigger, softest shooting gun I have ever fired. 97.3% on 1300 16yd targets, 92.3% on 600 25yd HDCP targets. Very happy with KX-6 performance, and continue to shot it better.
  10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I think some of the embellished stocks are drop dead gorgeous in that they reflect the technology of the times and present the gun as belonging to the technological times of this millenium.

Embelllished stocks may also likely allow us to consider the use of important and beautiful hardwoods with more discretion..so future generations can also enjoy seeing finely crafted furniture, for example, and fine stocks on exhibition quality, i.e., "non-abuse condition working" or "non-competition" firearms or as veneers on finely crafted custom dashboards or enclosures for high end audio speakers. Sometimes I think beautiful and expensive wood on a hardworking trapgun is a bit impractical.
  11. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

An embleshed stock is one thing, but for the cost of a KX-6 it should have some decent wood. krieghoff did it for one reason alone and that was to reduce the cost to produce. They didn't do it because there were trying to introduce new technology to the market. Bottom line is if it cost them $300 to put a stock on a gun with enhancements versus $500 with real wood that is what they chose. It simply is a business decision. I have heard they are nice shooting guns and that is what it really boils down to. Cosmetics aside,the gun is a tool and if it works for you then that is what matters. Who needs a screwdriver with an ivory handle when a plastic one will suffice!
  12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

I shot a friends and liked it very much even though I shoot pull and his was a release...Its a serious gun for those looking to shoot great scores...the KX-5 was a better looker though..but woodgrain and engraving doesnt break birds soooo.. its all in what you want out of it..maybe they should create a grade 2 model with fancy looks..sounds like they might sell a few of those too
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member

All they need to do is use the real wood they used on the KX5, nothing spectacular jut good looking standard wood, the shape of the stock does not bother me but fake grain on a 6K gun does.

Johnr
  14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

The stocks are made from European walnut.
  15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

They are real wood, but the grain is enhanced by a coating on top of the wood.
  16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Same enhancement Beretta is using with their X-tra grain stocks. They developed nothing. Actually most Beretta stocks look better. My buddy shoots a KX-6, to each his own but I'd expect a better piece of lumber on it than what he has. Most K-guns I've seen other than this KX-6 are exceptional and generally a standout. They just don't standout like that. I never related Kreigoff as having a no frills version.
  17. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

I Have two Guerini's with just Ok stocks on them for about the same price range as my Kx-6(that wood is awesome). The Kx-5 I had before had ugly barn wood right from the factory. The KX-6 is the softest shooting gun i've ever fired.
  18. Larry Ping

Larry Ping TS Member

Moore 5833 if you think the KX6 is better looking than the barn wood
    you sold me you better have your glasses changed
  19. maltzahn

maltzahn Member

My KX-6 has enhanced grain wood and my K-80 has a real crap chuck of furniture on it. Could use a little laser love or just paint that ugly SOB, please. Not all high grade shotguns have exceptional wood. Most have stocks that are selected so not to crack or break under heavy use. Guess, I don't see the difference between enhancing wood grain from custom paining. Just don't charge me an extra 3 grand for presentation wood on a working gun.

For those of you critical of the KX-6 stock, lets see your stock on the gun you shoot trap with. No hypocrosy allowed.

Maltz
  20. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

No real comparison between KS 5 or KX 5 and the KX 6. The mechanics and ergonomics are vastly improved in the KX 6 and it's an incredibly soft shooter even with Nitro 27's! Find one to try and I suspect you will impressed. My $.02