1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kx5 release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Deereman7, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Deereman7

Deereman7 TS Member

Hello. I was wondering about a kx5 release trigger. If I find a set of hooks, is that all I need, and are they easy to install. Thanks

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This is the only hook you need. Knock out the trigger pin, and put the hook inside the slot on the trigger, and push the pin back through the hole in the hook and the trigger. Then you have to adjust the set screws to allow the sear to release and catch the hook on the hammer at the same time. That can be tricky. Sometimes there may need to be some alteration to the hook, to get it to work. You have to adjust the creep in the trigger in order for there to be enough travel to engage the hook on the hammer. Best to do this with the stock removed, so you can see what needs to happen for the hammer to cock and bypass the hook, then move forward enough to catch the hammer before the sear releases the hammer. Thus the added creep on the trigger.
    stlflyn_2010_0704251.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704253.jpg

stlflyn_2010_07041.jpg

3. Crunch

Crunch Member

Thanks for the lesson with pictures.....I have a KX5 and wondered about a release and how they work. Appreciate it.

4. Deereman7

Deereman7 TS Member

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it. Now is there a kind I should be looking for? I'm sure it's like anything some are better than others?

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The trigger with the one set screw, accessible through the trigger guard requires the hook with the adjustable set screws in it. The trigger of the older KS-5's with two set screws, gets the hook without any set screws. The adjustment of the hook, is by the set screw already in the trigger. Letter "C" in the picture below. "A" is the adjustment for creep in the trigger on both models.

One set screw sets the adjustment, and the other locks it in place on the newer style hook. This is the newer version. The interior of the KS-5's and KX-5's are about as simple a design as you are going to see in a trap gun receiver. Simple, but yet very effective.
    stlflyn_2010_0704255.jpg