1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX5 or TMX?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by M R Ducks, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My son has taken to shootng my TMX really well, and so I've put his 391 in the safe - waiting for my 9-year old. The problem is that has left me gun-limited.

I shot my friends KX-5 the other day. Wow - nice trigger and balance - nice gun. I don't know squat about the KX-5 other than I can get a new one for just a little more than a 30 year old TMX.

Anyone out there able to offer pros/cons?

Thanks

Joe

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You can buy a new KX-5 for less than $4200 w/Americase, and choke tubes and all accessories. Just look in Trap and Field

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yep - that's why I'm asking for input!

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bought one used, enjoy it, reliable. Those that I know who bought new, have never any breakdowns in 10000s of rounds. It reminds me of my 90T...

Built well, great engineering, but for whatever the reason, its getting dumped into the marketplace and I would take full advantage of the situation...

Jay Spitz

5. 3357

3357 Member

I am very happy with my KX-5. I dont think you will find a better SBT for the money.

6. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Both good guns! Both Kick like Hell! IMHO

7. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Bought a KX-5 a few weeks ago and love it! I have shot 700 registered targets w/it and the recoil isn't bad (I am a female) and shooting 1 1/8 loads. The gun has very good balance. You will love it!

Stacey

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Been shooting shotgun for 44 years. Had a bunch. No way KX would even compare to the TMX. FOR ME!!! Again,FOR ME!!! The TMX just seems to be more alive & forgiving than the KX. Esp on those post 5 hard rights. Best thing to do is to shoot them side by side. We used to do a lot of this at Vandalia in the 20 yrs ago. Each person would get a gun,find a quiet trap & trade off. Learned a lot about what shoots well & why. Try a LTX,not Mono,with the lightweight 33-34" bbl. Same moves as the TMX. Has to do with the,I think,thinner bbl walls of the TMX

9. GI

GI Member

RunGun,
    Do you ever get a chance to shoot a 90T? How did it compare to a TMX, LTX or TM1?

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

It is my understanding from a reliable source that Kreigoff will stop production of the KX-5 later this year, and concentrate on the K-80????? Anyone else heard that?? Why would a company stop producing its most popular product that it produces?? Hope it has plans for a "bail out". the beav

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yes - I understand they will discontinure production for now, but continue to support the platform. That's one reason I'm looking at the KX - the price on them has dropped faster than GM stock.

Thanks to all for your input so far - I'll keep checking back as I zero in on a decision.

Joe

12. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Krieghoff is indeed stoping production on the KX-5. The price they need to sell them at is to high. As the price has increased over the years they have seen the demand drop off. They sell far more K-80's so the decision was made to concentrate there production capacity on that product. THere are no plans to do a high-rib KX-5. It is just being closed out.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

In answer to GI;Yes I have. A number of times. Esp. interesting was,I got to shoot one of the first ones. Was at an ATA registered shoot in WI. & shot with Don Maitland of Kolar. This was back in the mid/late 80's when I used to visit Kolar somewhat regularly. If I remember correctly,Don was the driving force in developing the gun. He had a pre-production model & traded it to me for my TM1 for 1 trap of the 4. He wanted my thoughts on it. The gun & others later were very close to the TMX/TM1 in balance,swing,feel,etc. I felt that they did not have quite the refined qoualities of a P-gun but they were very nice. Best was,they were/are 1/3 the price of a P-gun. I would love to shoot 1 again to see if my thoughts still hold. I would gladly take this gun over a KX,682 series Un or Top single.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have shot both and the balance and ability to move to the target works best on the TMX/TM1 the KX seems awkward to me as the guns all seem barrel heavy in my hands. I do have friends that love their KX gun and shoot them well so as most shooters on here say shoot them both that is the best test and easiest way to make the right decision just make sure they both fit you correctly. Good luck just shoot the 391 while tryng the other two out you may save yourself a lot of money those Beretta's are a soft shooting target crunchers for the money.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MRDUCKS... There is a reason you can buy a new KX5 for a little more than a 30 year old TMX. I owned a KS5 special for several years and thought it was the best gun I ever owned. Then, I bought a Perazzi TMX!! The 2 guns are as different as night and day. As mentioned above, the Perazzi feels alive in your hands and shooting a KS5 is now like shooting a fence post. The KS5 is gone now. I currently shoot a DB81 Combo and enjoy it immensley. I have to say, however, the K80 Trap Special is also a VERY nice handling gun. Feels good, swings nicely, and nicely made. That being said, I still wouldn't trade my DB81 for one..... Just my opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Dan - that's a great point.

Joe

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Things have a way of changing. If Krieghoff retains the tooling, they could easily return to KX-5 production or some other incarnation.

Sad thing about the 90T (and now our opportunities) debacle was Remington owned and controlled the production, not Kolar. Further, in my opinion, the market just didn't recognize the real value of a 90T's Kolar engineering at the time of its introduction, badged as a $3000 Remington.

Not knocking current production guns, but I think the 90Ts (even those with fixed stock and rib) are as every bit a fine quality gun as anything coming out these days. Look at used 90T values... guns purchased at clearance pricing could make money today, and used guns kept in nice shot condition, are holding their values.

Going back to my KX... the gun is easy to swing, fully adjustable and has a great track record of reliability, going back to its KS roots... I believe the KX is one heck of a firearm value at its present price point...

Jay

18. Duck

Duck Member

Good Read!. M R Ducks Thank's for starting the thread.

19. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Thanks Duck - and thanks to everyone who replied either to the thread or via a PM. I went with the KX-5 - should arrive Monday. No reason to stop the debate, however.... I have shot both (though a lot more with the TMX) and find the KX floats to the target ver readily - seems to be a little heavier in the barrel. In the end, I now access to both. Not a bad situation.

Joe

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ducks, the really big deal with the KS and KX guns is they are the ultimate in simplicity but with excellent engineering. Nothing to go out on one of them. My KS-5 Special has been clicking along without any issues for roughly 10 years. The KS Special and the KX are essentially the same gun as far as internals go and there so few parts to be humorous. That said, I never picked up a Perazzi single barrel back in the 70s and 80s that didn't work like a charm for me, but never owned one......Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi tmx vs krieghoff kx5