1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX5 Or Kolar T/S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Which one and more importantly....WHY? Thanks

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hands down the T/S. Owned a KS/KX5 and it kicked a little. The T/S is the softest shooting shotgun that I've ever fired that didn't have a recoil system on it. The big plus of the T/S is its pointability. They just seem to know where to go. You have your choice of stocks with the T/S that you don't get with a Krieghoff. And last but not least, Kolar quality! While I haven't owned a T/S, I have had a chance to shoot quite a few and have been impressed everytime I shoot one. If I was in the market for a new trap gun, the T/S would be first on the list!

ec90t

3. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

I owned a new KX-5 and tamed it down with an adjustable LOP Gracoil. Cocking the gun was a chore on my right hand, but that stiffness got better over time. Great pointing gun and thin in comparison to the TS.

I would still have the KX but I found a Kolar combo that I just had to have. If I ever considered selling the combo and had to buy another gun it would be a TS.

38-01615

I kept a "diary" of my trials and tribulations learning to shoot the KX. Go to the site above and look for the "Lodge" - look for the KX-5 thread.

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I shoot a KX-5 -- fine gun no complaints -- shoot them both and see which one YOU shoot best -- either one is a monetary outlay -- so pick the one YOU like -- both are fine guns

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

I owned a KX5 when I bought the TS. Held onto it for several months as I had really liked the gun but never went back to shooting it once I bought the Kolar. The KX5 is a fine gun but I felt it had a lot more recoil than the TS, I could get a better stock fit with the Kolar and it just seemed to point better for me. You need to try both and make your own choice. I have no regrets at making the switch although I did sell the KX5 with some reluctance.

6. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

I have both, and shoot each of them every week. The KX5 is cheaper, lighter, and kicks more (because it's lighter).

The Kolar is a good bit more expensive, heavier, and better built. Because of the large number of stock configurations to pick from, it's easier to get to your ideal fit. It's way softer shooting - beause it's heavier and the fit can really be fine-tuned.

I shoot both each week because they handle differently enough that neither seems ideal (to me) for both 16 yds. and handicap. The Kolar is too heavy and slow for me for 16's and the KX5 is too light and whippy for handicap - if that makes any sense. Or maybe it's just that I'm too slow with the Kolar for 16's and too fast with the KX5 at handicap - whatever - the KX5 works great at 16 yds. and the Kolar is perfect for handicap.

The only mechanical problem with either of the guns is that the KX5 just broke a leg on the ejector last week. It's already repaired (by duPont - excellent service), but it looks to me like Krieghoff should have spent a litle extra to machine a radius at the back end of that cut-out instead of leaving a 90 degree angle at a stress point. That may be a weak point in the gun, as I've since heard that it's not an uncommon occurence.

As said above, you need to go somewhere where you can shoot each of the guns for a couple rounds of 16 and a couple of handicap, before you lay out the money. Both guns are EXCELLENT values for the money, but neither is really inexpensive.

If I could only keep one of them, I'd keep the Kolar - hands down, for sure. It's much easier to find a gun that will work well at singles than it is to find one that is so adaptable to handicap.

As always, your mileage may vary.

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I shoot the Kolar T/S and would never trade it, and I tried a lot of them. If you can go to the factory in Racine, Wi. and have the gun fit I think you will find it the best gun you have ever shot. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.