1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-6 vs KX-5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ambulanceman, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambulanceman

ambulanceman TS Member

I was interested in opinions on the KX-6 and how it stacks up against the KX-5. Looking to purchase one or the other and thought I would see what the general sentiment was. Thanks for any input or thoughts you would have.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Uh Oh, buckle up. LOL.

-Gary

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I personally think you would like the KX-5 better, try them both then make your own decision.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

VLet me get the popcorn and beer. This could be a long one....

5. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Search KX-6 on here,you could be up all night.

6. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Just buy a k 80 and really be satified.....the end.

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I shoot a KS-5 special and would never part with it but people on here say the KX-6 shoots softer. I hope someone who has used both comes on and give you the real story and not a bunch of opinions from people who have never owned or shot these fine guns. Joe

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have parted with my KS-5 Spl. but only because of medical issues ending my shooting entirely. I never had the notion that it was less gun than more expensive models of these fine guns. Were I to suddenly get well, I'd seek buying it back from it's present owner. But then, I have zero experience or time with the newer model.......breakemall

9. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

I shoot a kx6. Bought it at the Grand this year. Personally, I love the lack of noticeable recoil and the way I shoot it. It's fully adjustable and I've had fun getting it exactly where I shoot it well. I really do not care what anyone else thinks of the gun, for me it works really well. If you are looking for a recommendation then you have it. Shoot them both. You will not be dissapointed with either.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've sold several-all happy campers!!

11. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have owned both -- a KX-6 presently and a KX-5 a few years ago and can tell you about the differences between them. The KX-6 cocks upon opening the gun (like most guns) and not with the thumb lever. The KX-6 has an actual right hand stock with some off-set while my KX-5 had a straight stock with a palm swell on both sides. I much prefer the newer stock dimensions.

Something that I don"t like on the new KX-6 is the checkering --- it doesn't help to grip the gun as it is very fine (probably laser carvered) and looks good, but doesn't work well. I shot two events in the rain a couple of weeks ago and the gun was slipperly as it has a hard glossy finish. Sharp hand-cut checkering would be better.

I hadn't been shooting any ATA for awhile but after buying this KX-6 and shooting it pretty well, I started up again. My score at the first registered event with this gun was 100 straight so I am happy with it.

As for everyone saying that it doesn't recoil; mine seems to kick about the same as any other trap gun of the same weight. It is a pleasure with 1 ounce loads --- not bad with the 1140 fps ounce and 1/8ths, but I still don't like shooting it with the 1200 fps 1 and 1/8ths. Because it fits me well, it doesn't kick me in the face like some guns that don't have some stock off-set. Maybe this is why people are saying that it doesn't recoil much.

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I've shot both. The KX-6 has it over the KX-5 like a tent. I really like them a lot and would buy one from 'dawg, but I want a new one! Lot'sa nice features on the latest ones from Ulm...

JR

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you like ugly,you will love this gun.
    Clyde

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you like ugly,you will love this gun.
    Clyde

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Although having never owned a KS-5, I have shot a friend's for about 5 rounds. This prompted me to look for a K gun and I found a KX-6 with the new factory adjustable butt pad.

The KS-6 is a very fine shotgun. As a Trap shooter for under one year, I find it a perfect fitting gun. I have raised the comb and lowered the butt pad so that I have a head vertical position and am looking thru the middle of my prescription glasses.

The felt recoil on this gun is nearly none, even with 3 dram handicap loads. Amazing.

I am very happy with the gun after about 4000 rounds plus. Am using the #4 Full choke which smashes birds. Trigger is very nice and mine is a normal pull type. It is adjustable, but I have not done any adjustments to the trigger. It is perfect as is. You can order the gun with a factory release trigger. I did not. Overall very happy with the gun. May one day have a custom stock made for it I like the gun that much.

I adjusted the rib to shoot 2" high at 13 yards with the full choke. That means the center of the pattern is about 6" high at 30 yards. Just right for me.

Also, I purchased a hard Americase for it which had the Krieghoff logo on it. The 34" barrel fits will in this case. I got the case used here on Trapshooters from a KS/KX owner...

BTW, my previous guns were a BT-99 trap with adjustable comb and a Joel Etchen Silver Pigeon II trap with Unsingle and double barrel sets. I use the KX-6 now for all singles and handicap shooting.

16. ambulanceman

ambulanceman TS Member

Thanks for the feedback! I have ordered a new KX-6 from Joel Etchen Guns and it should be here next week.

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I shot a KX-6 recently...Anyone who says they have no noticeable recoil just does not know how to notice recoil...SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are the ks-5 trigger the same as a kx-6

do you like the kx-6 shotgun

how good is the new kx-6 shotgun
kx 6 vs kx 5
kx-5 vs kx-6
kx-6 vs ks-5