1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 Recoil ?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by black lab, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black lab

black lab TS Member

I am thinking about doing something with my KX-5 to reduce the recoil. What would you recommend and how much does it cost. Also where would be the best place to send it.

Thanks

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I changed the KS-5 Spl. factory pad (a concave Pachmayer) to a convex KickEez and it made a very significant difference. But most of my eliminating annoying felt recoil was in fine tuning the position of the adjustable comb and my propensity to reduce the payload - 1 oz even at long yardage....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I, too, have been looking for ways to lower what I feel in my shoulder after shooting any gun, including my KX-5. I don't mind felt recoil ON my shoulder, it's what I feel IN my shoulder the next day that bothers me. I ran a heavy snowblower for a little over three hours yesterday and am not going to shoot today because of how much my right shoulder joint hurts.

Years ago, my son and I shot mechanically identical KS-5s with the exception that one of them was ported and the other was not. We determined by switching those guns back and forth that porting offers no perceivable reduction in recoil, so I'd advise against spending money on that.

Weight added to the gun and/or taken from the ammo's payload and lowering the velocity of those payloads are the most effective things you can do to any gun to make it shoot softer. But when you are in my condition, even one-ounce loads at 1,150 FPS take their toll after a long day of shooting. I have eight ounces of lead tape on the underside of my barrel where it is hidden by the forearm and I had an eight-ounce C&H mercury reducer in the stock. I recently did two more things, both of which helped.

Stu Wright backbored the barrel from .730" to .745" and reworked the forcing cone. That had a slight effect and as they say, every little bit helps. I then swapped the C&H reducer for a 16-ounce one. Yes, the gun feels a trifle butt-heavy like that but the added weight and whatever help the mercury lends to the job had a noticeable impact on the recoil I feel. It's worth the balance trade-off.

Another thing I plan to do is change recoil pads. I've been using Kick-Eez Rocker pads for many years but recently replaced a rifle stock with a metal-reinforced Kevlar, graphite and fiberglass one that came with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Those things have become much softer and flatter since I last had one on a shotgun and I'd like to try one again. Another pad that sure looks and feels good is the Limbsaver. I have one on a new rifle but have yet to shoot it.

Of course, none of that will help much at all if the gun does not fit you. If you're experiencing facial pain or feel like a mule is kicking your shoulder, that might be the problem.

Good luck and please let us know how you made out.

Ed

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd call Ed's answer just about the clearest, most to-the-point, and accurate post on the subject I've read in a long time here.

There's a new Pachmayer pad - I'll get the number - which is very nice and soft and I think it helps a little.

Neil

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I can't totally agree with Ed on the porting issue. I have two nearly identical K-80 32" Unsingle barrels. I shot both a few weeks ago on the same day and I believe I noticed a significant reduction in felt recoil in the ported one. Between my ears-maybe but I'm gonna try it again!!

6. AveragEd

Yeah, some of you guys may not have one of those in your garage. But here in Pennsylvania, they're about as common as lawn mowers.

Or haven't you ever seen one of those, either?

Ed

7. black lab

black lab TS Member

Thanks everyone. So if I sent my gun out to Wilkenson and had him backbore it to .740, you think it would make a difference. I was thinking about having him put chokes in for me anyways. I don't think the recoil is really that bad, but by the end of the shooting year every little bit that I can reduce the recoil I think would help. I have a gooey pad on it right now also.

8. AveragEd

I think you MIGHT notice a slight difference. I don't know if you will think it was worth the expense as it will not amount to a day and night difference.

My gun was gone for three weeks and at the same time, I was building a rifle for deer hunting and was spending most of my shooting time at a club's rifle range trying different handloads in it. As a result, I didn't shoot my KX-5 for about six weeks and really couldn't tell any difference when I shot it the first time after the work was done. I asked a friend who also shoots a KX-5 to use my gun for one post of a practice round he was shooting and he said it shot softer than his. Over the months since then, I can say that I think the level of the felt recoil is lower. More than that, I wouldn't want to say.

If I were searching for recoil reduction and knew from running a bore micrometer through my barrel that it didn't have an ultra-short forcing cone and tight bore (say .725"), barrel work would probably be one of the last things I'd try. That's why I waited until almost five years after buying my KX-5 to try it.

Ed

9. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

My KX kicked so hard I opted for the adjustable LOP Gracoil! Marty in Winnemucca NV owns and shoots it now!

Prior to the KX I shot AL-391's about 30,000 +/- times.

I hated to cut the wood but it was the best $$ I ever spent!

38-01615

If you have the time to read about the trials and tribulations when I bought my KX - go to -

http://www.tarheeltrap.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=166&32

10. snkypete

snkypete Member

I am somewhat recoil sensitive and I can truthfuly say my KX 5 is the softest recoil gun I have ever shot, right out of the box, no modifications, just adjusted the rib and comb for POI. My good friend had to send his in for a RAD system to tame his down. I can't help but wonder what would account for the wide veriations in recoil, either from gun to gun or person to person.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I never got used to the recoil of the KS 5 that I USED to own. The best money I spent on it was trading it in on a SKB 85TSS combo. I know that I'll get flamed to death for that statement. Just a personal obsevation, not a declaration.

The best way to tame recoil in a gun is to fit a PFS. I don't know if they make a grip for a KS/KX 5, but that is where I would start.

ec90t

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Yes, Vern makes one for the KX5. I have one and it is great.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would say that Kx-5's question has been answered!

ec90t

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

kx-5,

I suggest you first investigate your stance, gun mount and body posture (shooting form). If it is flawed, perceived or felt recoil can be significantly increased. Adding weight and reducing load energy will help but they do not eliminate the underlying cause, poor gun fit. It is one two reasons different shooters experience different amounts of recoil when shooting the same gun. The other is recoil sensitivity.

To reduce felt recoil to its lowest level, the gun must fit the shooter. That means the dimensions of the stock must match the size and shape of the shooter and allow the use of the correct shooting form. Together, they significantly reduce the effects of recoil.

A visit to one of the top stock fitters would probably be very beneficial. You would learn the correct shooting form and the dimensions of your stock would be changed to allow you to use it. One of the limitations to how well you will ever be able to shoot would be eliminated.

Rollin

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I've had a bunch of guns, a big bunch. The only one that didn't seem to bother me without alteration was one that fit me unusually well, had a fat parallel comb, had reasonably large bores, long forcing cones and a pad that fit my shoulder pocket. Other than that "one" gun, I now use RAD units to tame things down and find them to be the best of that type of reduction device. I'm sold 100% on the RAD. I now have them on four different guns - soon to be five.

16. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

I am convinced that the single best thing you can do to help reduce felt recoil is have the gun fitted to you. I once had a Beretta 682 that beat me into submission every time I shot it. After a visit to the Country Gentleman, the gun was a joy to shoot. I've owned many trap guns since then but in each case I've had the gun fitted to me. I'm such a recoil sissy that my current gun is not only fitted to me it also has a RAD recoil device on it.

Bama

17. AveragEd

There's no question that a good fit is critical. My KX-5 actually kicks slightly less with its custom-fitted Wenig stock than it did with the factory stock fitted with a Graco LOP unit.

Ed

18. catfishjack

catfishjack TS Member

My KX - 5 did in fact kick the snot out of me until I had the stock pitch zeroed. What a difference that made, could not believe how a adjustment could make such a big change !!!!! Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the kx5 reduce recoil

kx-5 recoil