1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I have never shot one of these guns, I thought I wanted a unsingle for the recoil and the high rib, but I like the looks of the KX-5 what kind of recoil do they have and what is your comment about this gun.....

2. snkypete

snkypete Member

I'm 63 and have owned and shot a number of differenct trap guns. I am recoil sensitive. My KX-5 right out of the box is the softest recoil gun I have ever tried. Some will tell you it beats them up really bad. It all comes down to gun FIT. If it doesn't fit YOU, it will have recoil. It it fits, you will love it. I haven't even looked at another gun since I purchased my KX-5.

3. cfchief

cfchief Member

im 61 and its the sweetest trapgun and the last trapgun ill ever buy,want recoil try a tm1

4. gridlock

gridlock Member

Blakester, I have a KX-5 with a rad recoil system in near new condition,upgraded wood,americase,choke tubes,barrel 34",Will sell for $3900.00 plus shipping to your FFL. If interested post your e-mail or send a PM

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Yes, they do kick most shooters. Find one for sale that doesn't have a recoil system on it. I've seen more rcoil systems on KS/KX 5's than any other gun out there.

They do point and swing well and break targets very hard.

My money would be on a Kolar TS for a dedicated single barrel gun.

ec90t

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Blakester: I have a KX-5 34" adj. Rib,Comb,and a Dennis Devault 6-way adjustable butt plate on the stock with a kick-ezz pad with pitch ground into the pad, you ask about recoil the pitch takes the recoil out of the gun it has alot less recoil then having a straight stock with a stock pad the pad don't dig into the collar bone area and let you mount the gun flat in the pocket. I also have had Tom Wilkinson back bore the barrel and it has (2) steel Krieghoff choke tubes done by Tom with the barrel work, (1) factory Modified tube, (1) Titanium extended choke tube IMP Modified all books, locks, americase, tools come with it. Release trigger can be removed and set to pull if you don't shoot one.The KX-5 was bought in 12/07 and not alot of rounds through it if interested e-mail me thanks Pat.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a KX and its a well balanced, quick pointing, mid-single. My shoots soft for me (250# 5'11), and for my lightest loads its a pure dream. I also shoot a 90T and have shot BTs - try one on to see how it shoots for you...

Jay

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I'm shooting a KX-5 and couldn't happier. The gun does not recoil any
    more than any other trap gun I've owned (except the 1100) and I've owned
    a bunch. My average went from a 95 to a 97 with the KX-5. It is the best
    buy in a high grade single.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Soft shooter, with a fabulous barrel and rib assy'.

10. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Love my K-80, but am keeping my 2005 KX-5. Not for sale.

The KX-5 is...Very soft shooting, mid-single, fully adjustable, excellent trigger, easy maintenance, high quality trap gun. Highly recommend it.

Krieghoff enjoys an excellent reputation not only for design but also for its service department.

Mine is not for sale. It is a keeper.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Before the KX-5 came along, I heard all about how hard KS-5s kicked. My first Krieghoff was a Scroll Arabesque grade KS-5 I purchased used. The original owner traded it on a new Perazzi because it kicked too hard. I shot it for two years and when I bought a new KS-5 Special in 1992, I kept the old KS-5 for my son when he became older. Because it had a release hook in it and could be changed back and forth in minutes and because the stock was fully adjustable, it saw a lot of duty as a back-up gun for a lot of different shooters. None of those shooters complained about its recoil and some even remarked about how soft it shot.

That new KS-5 Special I bought for myself was pleasant to shoot, too.

At about that time, Jason had outgrown the cut-down 1100 I had made for him, so at age nine, I gave him the old KS-5 as I had planned. He shot it for two years without a whimper or a flinch. Keep in mind that he went to it from an 1100, so if it kicked hard at all, he would have noticed.

Then in 1994, I traded that oldest KS-5 on another new Special for myself and gave Jason the one I had bought in 1992 because the oldest one was a 32" and I thought that because of the condition he was in from playing wrestling and baseball and football, he might handle a 34" better. Again, neither of us minded the recoil of those KS-5s.

At the 100th Grand in 1999, Jason and I stumbled upon that Scroll Arabesque KS-5 in a rack at Jacqua's. We were told it was traded in because - you guessed it - it kicked too hard!

Then in 2003, I bought my KX-5. I planned to have a custom stock made for it eventually, so I had a Gracoil unit with adjustable length of pull fitted right away so I could play with different lengths. I don't care for "pogo-stick" stocks so I kept the unit's spring set on full stiff. The gun never shot hard like that but when I did have my custom stock made in 2005, the felt recoil actually was lessened even though this stock has no recoil reduction equipment at all.

What all this tells you is simple - if the fit is bad enough, any gun will kick you hard. Conversely, the better it fits you, the less it will kick. I also think that the KS/KX-5 family of guns might have some quirk in their stock geometry that amplifies poor fit because if there was a design flaw that made them kick hard, they all would do that and you wouldn't see owners like the ones above commenting about how soft their guns shoot.

As with any gun you are going to shoot a lot (or a car or a baseball bat or a pair of shoes), try it before you buy it.

Ed

12. butcher

butcher Member

Who did your custom stock Ed? Tell us about it.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My reasons for wanting one were looks along with better fit. I have some shotguns and rifles with "nice" wood but I wanted one of my guns to have REAL nice lumber. All of my factory Krieghoff adjustable combs have had to be offset their full 1/4" as well as raised so high that longer posts were needed, so it was obvious even to me that I had some fit issues as well. In spite of their combs being a mile high and all the way over to the right, I shot this gun (and those other guns) decently but the edges of the bottom of the comb and the top of the comb cut-out area were quite noticeable.

I spent a day shopping among the wood vendors and stockmakers at Vandalia and elected to both buy my blanks from and have my stock made by Wenig's. I made that selection based upon how I was treated, wood selection, reputation and a confidence in their work that just made me more comfortable with Elbert Smith, Jimmy and Fred Wenig. I had my fitting and selected the blanks the following day.

I saw some very attractive wood at equally attractive prices in various vendors' displays but was fearful of what might happen if the wood broke or split during the machining process. Perhaps I wouldn't have been in the middle of a finger-pointing contest as I was fearing, but decided to limit the transaction to one vendor for everything.

I am very happy with my stock. Not only did I gain the looks I wanted and a better fit (Elbert arrived at 5/16" as the amount of offset I need), as I've said many times, the damned thing actually makes the gun shoot softer. I shot my 1100 quite a bit during the 10 weeks my KX-5 was at Wenig's and was actually wondering if I would be spoiled by its low recoil but I noticed only a moderate increase in recoil when I started shooting the KX-5 again.

I have a bunch of photos of the old and new stocks together as well as some taken during the fitting that I would be glad to send you or, with the help of someone who has the time and patience to jump through the required hoops, post them here.

For anyone who lives in the southern Pennsylvania/northern Maryland area, I have since found a stockmaker who lives east of Hanover, PA who does excellent work and has a nice inventory of wood. Another shooter carrying his trap gun with the barrel over his shoulder backwards turned around behind me and his barrel hit my stock. A week later, I met this stockmaker at a gun show and he repaired Wenig's extra-cost "deluxe" finish very well in two weeks. If his location appeals to you, I have his name and telephone number.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.