1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kx 5 question, modify or not

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Hi I'd like to reduce the felt recoil & muzzle lift on a KX 5,34". I already shoot 1 oz. loads, #8, 2 3/4d. Estates usually. I am considering two modification that I have been pleased with on my other gun - in stock recoil reducer and barrel porting.

I'd like anybody with experience on this gun to chime in. I am not anticipating a huge difference, but expect maybe a 20 to 30% reduction & change.

I have nearby access to two Kreighoff dealers; one of which I know does both these jobs.

Your thoughts, and any specific do's or don'ts for the KX5.

thanks very much !

js

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Porting won't make a nickel's worth of difference and will make the gun completely worthless to many. Recoil reducers, such as a RAD, work nicely.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jack, I shot a KX-5 for six years and several KS-5s before it. I had a Gracoil LOP unit fitted to my KX-5 before I ever shot it so I could tailor the stock length. Then afer shooting it with the Gracoil for three years, I had a custom-fitted stock made for it by Wenig's. The gun shot softer with the Wenig stock than it did with the factory stock with a Gracoil, proving that how a gun fits is a big part of reducing felt recoil. So, a Gracoil may or may not help much, depending upon how well the gun fits you. Scores aren't the only judgement point for fit, as I broke a lot of good scores with my KX-5 before I changed stocks.

I do not recommend porting to reduce felt recoil. It will help with muzzle rise but your shoulder will never know it is there. Shotguns do not produce enough chamber pressure to allow porting to be effective. That can be proven with a chronograph. Clock loads out of your gun without porting and out of another KX-5 that is ported - the only difference you'll see is the difference between the two barrels and the ported one might even be faster.

Porting works by bleeding off pressure, which lowers velocity. I have a rifle chambered for .300 Remington Ultra Mag and was considering having it ported but the firm that was to do it advised against it. They told me that if I wanted the muzzle velocity of a .300 Winchester Magnum, that's what I should have bought because that's what I'll have after they port my .300RUM (in other words, porting that rifle would have lowered its muzzle velocity by about 300 FPS). It does work in rifles because they have chamber pressures of 60,000 to 80,000 PSI but I don't think it helps much with a shotgun's roughly 10,000 PSI chamber pressure.

My son and I used to shoot identical KS-5 Specials except his was purchased used and was ported. Neither of us could detect any difference. If you have it done and it doesn't do what you wanted, you'll be stuck with it as it cannot be undone.

Ed

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I suggest you consider a Precision Fit Stock (link above). Gun fit is one of the key issues for felt recoil and I suspect to a large degree, muzzle jump. If you buy a used PFS and it doesn't work for you, you can probably sell it for what you paid. Make sure, if you go the PFS route, that you get it properly adjusted (including pitch) to fit you. Bill Malcolm

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Porting will not reduce recoil but it will dampen barrel rise. This could relieve a bit of the recoil that is directed toward your cheek. Porting will reduce the value to some potential future purchasers and it will increase the value to others.

Recoil reducers will help, but the 20-30% reduction can only be achieved with a proper fitting stock.

Pat Ireland

6. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Thanks so far... ! I forgot to mention that the Kx5 has a Kick Eez (adjustable,with a soft pad, not a mechanical compressable) It's nicley installed so this should provide many way to adjust....as many of you have suggested. Now the question is ....how?

js

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There are lots of good stock fitters around. Post the area that you live and I am sure someone can suggest one close by. You will pay a few bucks for a good fitting, but you will find that is one of the best investments you will make trapshooting. Bill Malcolm

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Fitter - I live in SE PA-Delaware County. I regularly travel a 100 mile radius around SE PA - This is where I'd look for a good stock fitter for TRAP, perhaps familiar with this type gun. I am slightly built - 165 lbs.

Thanks again,

js

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I once shot, years and years ago, a KS-5 32" that was tricked out by Tom Wilkerson with backbore and choke. It hammered targets and had much less felt recoil than a stocker. You may consider that route, but in today's world, I bet a PFS is really the way to go for a buncha reasons.

10. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I have a KS-5 Special that beat the heck out of me, but I shoot it well so I had to figure out how to reduce the punishment. After trying a RAD and it not being enough, I ended up going to a PFS, which has allowed me to keep shooting it.

I certainly respect others opinions about porting, but I got mine ported by Magneport and I believe I it made a difference in the muzzle jump, which was contributing to my problem. The PFS will do way way more to help, but the porting did help me a little too. If you can't afford a custom stock, PFS is the way to go with the KS and I suspect the KX if it's hurting you.

LMS

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Keep it original and buy the PFS. I know you're nor supposed to worry about resale, yadda, yadda, yadda - but as we all really do - keep it original.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That's probably the best suggestion yet!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.