1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX 5 PURCHASE OPINIONS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

st8shuter,
    I honestly couldn't recommend a kx-5 enough. More gun for the money that you will get any where else and I've been every else. I've owned numerous Perazzi's, two K-80's a Silver Seitz and many other guns that I not worthy of mentioning here. One of the few guns I've owned that I miss is my KX-5 that I bought new from Higrade shooters. Of all the guns I've owned, I shot the most 100's with the kx-5. Great trigger and basically bullet proof. If you can, try one for yourself, but ooming from someone that's owned a lot of guns, I don't think you can go wrong with a KX-5.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

str8shuter,

I used to shoot a KS-5 (essintially the same as a KX-5) and thought very well of the gun. Good pointing and swinging gun and patterned very well. The only drawback for me was the recoil. I know that others don't have a problem with it, but I did.

If I was in the market for a single barrel in that price range, I would look hard at the Kolar T/S. Every bit as nice as the KX-5 with virtually no recoil.

Just my thoughts though.

ec90t

3. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Ditto what ec90t said.

My KX kicked like a mule.

38-01615

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

I thought the KX5 was great and still do but when I tried a Kolar TS there was no turning back. Much less recoil was the big difference

5. ink ball

ink ball Member

I owned a KX-5 few years back, and it shot like a dream. It's like the gun had eyes for the target, and it really smoked targets. It was my first decent trap gun, and I just took it for granted that all reasonably good trap guns worked that well. After shooting it well for about a year and a half, I decided that I wanted to get a combo so that I could also shoot doubles. I didn't feel like dropping $13K for a K-80 combo, so I traded my KX-5 for an SKB unsingle combo. The SKB was OK, but it didn't shoot like the KX-5. I have since owned unsingle combos made by Browning and Beretta, and none of these guns worked as well for me as the KX-5. In hind sight, it probably would have been cheaper to buy the K-80. The light bulb finally went on and I have since purchased a new KX-5, and use an XT Browning for doubles. Can't say I ever noticed that the KX-5 had a recoil issue. In fact, for me, it kicks a lot less than the Beretta.
    If you can, shoot one before you buy it to see how it works for you. I think you'd be very happy with this gun.

6. snkypete

snkypete Member

As you probably know trapshooters are always looking and there is nothing wrong with that.I am equally guilty. I have shot severall different brands but when I purchased my KX5 I have quit looking. No need to look any further. For me it shoots very soft, so it must fit me pretty well and my scores have really improved. There are lots of very good trap guns on the market, all worthy, but if you are asking specifficaly about a KX5...it is as good as they come, you can't go wrong with a KX5. Simply one very fine trap gun.

Richard L.

7. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

I have shot one, and by far, it is one of the best shooting guns I have shot. It is very balanced. It has a great pattern. The recoil was not the lightest I have felt, but it is very tollerable. My poinion, BUY ONE. I have not shot a Kolar T/S, so I can't compare them, but THe KX-5 Is an excellent gun.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have not owned the X, but have shot '80's for many years. A friend of mine has the KX-5, and not only is she spoiled, but I have shot it enough to recommend it to anyone.

The gun, although set up for a petite female shooter, had minimal recoil when I shot it in shirtsleeves.

It's a Krieghoff! Buy it with confidence. You will love it forever!

9. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I've used a KX-5 for most of this season and it has been simply perfect. The trigger is exceptional, has good balance and really points well. I was tempted by a good deal on a K-80 last month, but given the cost decided to stick with the KX-5 and a Browning xt for doubles. Some of the wood is fairly plain, but every so often there's a great piece of wood, so be patient.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it. Shot one for years, shot it great and traded it for a K80 combo this year. Great trigger and no recoil if set up right.

Don

11. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

My KX-5 weighs 9.5 pounds, not by any means the lightest nor the heaviest trap gun available. I submit that those who find that the KX-5 kicks hard should blame gun fit, not the gun. BTW, I once owned an SKB 505 and the stock didn't suit me, yes, I found it uncomfortable to shoot. Same for the Winchester 101, which I've shot a fair amount. Gun fit issue. [shrugs]

I shoot my KX-5 with factory release and prefer it to the (factory) release on my K-80. Both were set up nominally the same at Ottsville, per Krieghoff standard set/release. Hard to explain, the KX-5 release just feels slightly better, more positive. I've shot a number of guns with release and Krieghoff factory releases are up there with the best.

What can you say? It's a simple, reliable design, all parts are high quality. If it suits you, buy it. Don't like it, pass it by. No gun is gunna suit everybody.

12. brantman

brantman TS Member

bought one 2 years ago , went from a bt99 to a kx5 great gun if it kicks get it fitted by kay ohye, then go to his lessons and shoot the best scores of your life

13. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I too have a KX5. This is the second one that I bought. Bought both from guns Unlimited. Very satisfied. I dont seem to notice any more recoil than any other single. Ive owned a Perazzi MX 2000. Beretta combo, Bt99's. Ome thing that I did do was put a Wenig green laminate stock and forend on it and was professionally fit. It did make it a little heavier than the standard wood. Ive shot the Kolar TS at the Grand too the only thing that I didnt care for was the weight. Yes they are soft shooting allright, but if you get a laminate stock they will go way over 10 lbs. Anyway I highly reccommend the KX. my 2 cents. alex Kotter superior wisconsin

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I honestly think that the occasional raps the KS/KX-5 take about recoil are due to the stock shape being one that comes close to fitting everyone decently but very few people well. The felt recoil from mine was never ugly but I had a Gracoil unit with the length adjustment installed before I ever shot the gun so I could tailor the stock length. Three years later, I had a Wenig custom-fitted stock made for it and the felt recoil is less than with the original stock with the Gracoil recoil reduction system! That was first-hand proof to me that fit problems are a main source of uncomfortable recoil.

Ed

15. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

One of the shooters at my club let me shoot his 32" KS-5. Shot 99/100, my best yet. So, I went out and bought a used KS-5 with a 34" barrel. Can only shoot maybe 94/100. No kick in either gun so I'm a believer that gun fit is everything although I find the 34" a little harder to swing. Thinking about getting a 32" barrel for the present gun but I think the money would be better invested in a custom made stock. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

16. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I tried the KX5 but couldnt get used to it. I also tried the K80, and the Blaser, neither felt right to me. So I bought a used Ljutic that had been "refurbished" so to speak, by Ljutic. Fits me great, and for the price cant be beat. Paid less than the KX5 and it has the wood upgrade, mid rib, the choke I want, adj. comb, and is in mint condition. You may want to take a look at a used Ljutic. You either love 'em or hate 'em. My two cents worth. Steve

17. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Ive been shooting a KS5 Special ( same basic design) for the past 6 years. About 2 years ago I bought a Wenig Stock for it. Shot it ok with the factory stock, shoot it alot better with the Wenig. The guys that say these recoil too much don't have the proper fit. I shoot protrection with mine and shoot up to 1.5 ounce loads thru it, no recoil system at all. This gun has never failed me and its been shot a whole lot. There was a mercury recoil reducer in the butt end when I bought the gun and after a while I removed it and I liked the balance of the gun better and realy didn't notice any more recoil. The only way I'll buy another trap gun is if I come accross anther KS5/Kx5 for a real good price, otherwise I'll keep shooting this one. I paid $3200 for mine.
    Another nice thing is I can completly disassemble the entire action and clean and lube myself in about 45 minutes. I say you can't beat this gun regardless of price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.