1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 (Pros and Cons)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TURNKEY321, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I have been loking for a good single barrel trap gun. I have looked at Remington 90t's, Ljutic's, Browning's and Beretta's. After looking at the Kreighoff, I found it to be made well and have a nice feel. What I did't understand is why the gun sells so far below a K-80($5000 vs.$13,000). It seems to be a good value for a production gun.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The firearm is a single shot, which may explain why it is less.

The pros are, it is a Krieghoff, with their top of the line Unsingle barrel.

The weakness seems to be the ejector retaining pin slipping out during cleaning and losing ejector springs and plungers. Also, the ejector seems fragile, and has been known to break.

It will be fixed at no charge, but you have the bugaboo of shipping.

Most firearms have some weakness.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll endorse the KX-5 very strongly. Since 1990, I've owned three KS-5s, which were the predecessor to the KX-5, and now shoot one of the first KX-5s. I've had zero problems with any of them. I don't think you can find a stronger and simpler action in a gun. And if a problem would crop up, Krieghoff International's national service and distribution center in Ottsville, PA offers service that is prompt, personal and professional as do several U.S. Krieghoff dealers.

Some owners have said the felt recoil is high but I attribute that to the way the stock fits them. Many people have shot my KS-5s and my KX-5 over the years and some have even commented about how soft they shot, so I don't think it's much different than other guns in that area. I needed a little more offset than the factory stock's adjustable comb offered, so I had a Wenig custom-fitted stock made for mine about three years ago. Not only is the new stock more comfortable, the gun actually shoots softer with it, so fit is very important with regard to the recoil you feel.

Others grouse about the top lever effort being high and it is higher than most other guns because it is what cocks the action, not folding the barrel downward. Personally, I like that quality because my lower back and shoulders get to hurting pretty quickly when shooting new, stiff break-open guns and my K-80 used to have my back hurting at the end of a long shooting day even after it was broken-in. The huge plus to the top lever cocking the action is that there no longer needs to be a cocking rod and its associated parts running back through the receiver. Because the top lever is longer and has a larger thumb pad, you will become accustomed to the extra effort in a trap or two.

That's about it for possible negatives. They don't make any weird noises and their ribs don't ring and rattle like some other adjustable-rib guns. I find them very comfortable to shoot and the more you shoot, the more important that quality becomes.

Ed

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What Ed said. My experience is with the KS-5 Special but that's essentially a KX model for all the adjustability, strength, and simplicity....Bob Dodd

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've shot BT99s for many years, as well as a Superposed Broadway. Own a 90T and have the KX5. The KX5, for me, is a natural fit for my build, It is a bit lighter with the pros and cons that could come with that - but I shoot very light loads regardless.

I've yet to have to adjust the gun, but it offers everything I could want. If the price is right, you cannot go wrong - but shoot one to really get a feel for it.

Good Luck,

Jay

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

K-5 is a single only, K-80 is basically an O/U with the mechanisms for the O/U being present even if you only buy a sgl., thus the price difference. If you want to shoot dbls. you will need another gun. 90 T is out of production. 680 series Beretta is a lower priced combo option, BT 99 sgl. only, Citori is a lower priced combo option. All are good reliable guns. Several years ago I went to every gunsmith at The Grand America and asked what are the most trouble free guns as I was wanting to shoot doubles. Everyone said the Citori II was the O/U, BT 99 & Ljutic the singles with the least amount of repair needed.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had a KS-5 Special, I shot some of my best scores with it but it did kick more than I liked. Added a Mercury recoil tube in the stock that helped some but still kicked more than I liked. I'm sure it had to do more with stock fit than gun problems, anyway, traded it off for a Kolar combo and never looked back.
    I would consider a newer KX-5 for a back-up should I get a few extra bucks someday.

8. cfchief

cfchief Member

Turnkey, have shot and owned all the guns you have listed all good but the only way youll get my ks5 is to pry my cold dead fingers from it chief

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I bought a new KX-5 and had to install an adjustable LOP Gracoil to tame the beast.

I really hated to sell the gun, but it found a great home in Winnemucca Nevada.

I found a Kolar Combo and that is the rest of the story. VA shooter Trey Wilburn has been terrorizing the neighborhood since he bought his! Check out the SC State Shoot report for his winning info.

Great gun!

FR

10. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

One of the things that I really liked was the adjustable rib on the gun. The Browning combo adjustable rib seemed cheap and I have been having a hard time finding a nice HPAR 90-T. It just intrest me when I found KX-5's used for $3900.00 and new for $5400.00.

11. biff

biff Active Member

A very good gun, well built, good balance and designed with adjustments. I shot mine good and it helped me, I learned to shoot a release trigger because of this gun. Tried a compcoil and then a RAD, nothing helped but I sure hated to let it go. Shoot one before you buy it! Biff

12. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I have owned one for over a year and have had zero problems. Averaged said it all, and is correct about fit. I'd heard people complain about recoil for some time, but have never had the problem. I had the gun fitted, adding an adjustable butt plate with kickese pad and have never looked back. The trigger is as simple a design as I've ever seen, and is as crisp as any gun I've ever shot. By all means try one first.

13. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

870s forever.

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I had one and had to sell it due to the arthritis in my thumb as the release also cocks the gun. (not caused by the KX5) The gun shot wonderful and I had put a PFS on and it was a clay krusher. If I didn't have the arthritis, I would still be shooting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.