1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

A friend recently acquired a used KX-5. He shoots 4 rounds of trap weekly, using factory shells. Last weekend, he used Remington Gun Clubs without any problem. Today, he was using Federal Top Guns with 6 out of 100 failing to fire. All had light primer hits on them. I tried firing two of them and they went off in my shotgun. A quick look at his shotgun's breech & firing pin hole showed them clean. Does the KX-5 have any history of firing pin problem?
    Are Top Gun primers set a little deeper than Gun Clubs? He's being told he may have to stick with a particular brand of shells.

2. JRW

JRW Member

P3at; I would rather you use new Federal papers in my Infinity. Thank you Jerry.

3. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

My KX-5 shoots everything I put in it with NO problems. I love that gun.

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Probably just bad luck. From time to time you'll get some shells with primers too deeply inset, and cheap shells usually.

Last year I had several flats of Top Guns with maybe a dozen or so shells each flat that had inset primers, so deep they wouldn't fire in either my KX-5 or my K-80. A few times I handed them to friends to try in their guns, I don't recall that ANY of them went off in their guns either.

Nevertheless, your buddy got a used gun and hasn't got it serviced yet or even checked out? It might have a helluva lot of shells through it, you don't know. He should at least go get the yearly service done at KI in Ottsville.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The one I had apparently didn't fit me right. It kicked me so hard that I would have enjoyed it not going off occasionally.

6. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I just picked up a KS-5 Special and shot all kinds of ammo through it yesterday without incident. Very little recoil too. Also had the opportunity to shoot my buddies K-32 and Silver Sietz with the new Pro-Soft. Very nice!

A friend of mine has a Kx-5 and experienced problems this fall with it. It was an inset primer on his. I think it was Gun Clubs that were the culprit and as I recall he had 4 or 5 reloadings on them.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suspect the problem is with the shells and not the gun. My K-80 will shoot Federal Top Gun and Federal Estate shells fine. It does not shoot Remington or Winchester discount shells consistently. I get about one no fire per box. My gun will not shoot Rio shells at all.

Pat Ireland

8. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

I also have experienced the same problem with my KX-5.
    Recommend you do as Tammers suggested--he is 100% correct.

Following his advice will assist in regaining confidence in your gun.

When you receive the new hammer spring; measure it againist the old,
    I predict it will be 1/4 longer than the old;;and thats my story!!!

My springs required replacing after only app 75,000 rounds.

I suppose I should have a K-80; after all, they never fail until blow-up.

Warren Roberts