1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 bore, chokes, and restrictions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hello,

I am looking for information and/or opinions on choke restrictions and patterns.

I borrowed a bore micrometer and found some interesting numbers on my bore and chokes:

The bore on the barrel of my KX-5 is 0.732".

Choke Number 2 (Modified) - Entrance diameter 0.741", exit diameter 0.714", choke restriction 0.027", overall restriction 0.018".

Choke Number 3 (Imp Modified) - Entrance diameter 0.734", exit diameter 0.704", choke restriction 0.030", overall restriction 0.028".

Choke Number 4 (Full) - Entrance diameter 0.737", exit diameter 0.699", choke restriction 0.038", overall restriction 0.033".

I was surprised to see that much variation in the entrance diameters of the chokes.

Does anyone know if this is typical of other trap gun manufacturers?

Does this variation have adverse effects on pattern uniformity?

When someone has "barrel work" done, what does it typcally involve in regards to these measurements?

Thanks for the feedback!

Rob

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Rob, as well as you shoot your KX-5, don't worry about these details. *grin*
    Doug Allison

3. rsikole

rsikole Member

Thanks Doug......but if I remember right you are the one who broke them all at the state shoot! I still have to get over that hurdle!

Rob

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

That's the thing Rob, my gun seems to pattern well from the 16 but not so well from hcp yardages? Bring your bore gauge over to Carey and help me out!
    Doug Allison

5. rsikole

rsikole Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kx-5 bore measurment