1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KX-5 as a first gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mh03911, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mh03911

mh03911 TS Member

I am a beginner trap shooter. I have been going with a friend for about 6 months, but I hate to borrow other people’s stuff, so I don't go very often. I was hooked instantly, and started shopping for a gun after my second trip. My friend shoots an older BT-99 and an XT trap. My original plan was to get a new BT-99, but I was not very impressed with them-I think they look, and feel, much cheaper than the one I have been shooting. A friend at a local gun shop has been on the lookout for an older 99 or an XT in very good condition, but nothing has come along.

My countless hours of internet research sparked an interest in the Krieghoff KX-5, but I have never laid hands on one, and the price seemed like it was out of reach (I went into this thinking I was going to spend $800-$1000). I am a sucker for German craftsmanship, and it looks like a very good gun. I like the idea of buying things once, but I didn’t think I would be very likely to come across one locally. I had written it off until a very reputable local seller listed a kx-5 and an XT for sale. I am going to look at them this weekend, and if the Krieghoff feels good I am seriously considering making an offer.

Am I crazy to be seriously considering the kx-5? In almost every way it seems like a good first gun. It is very adjustable for a shooting style that is likely to change, if I stick with trap shooting it will probably be the last single barrel gun I ever buy, and if I don’t stick with trap I can probably get most of my money back. The only down side is the upfront cost.
    Input would be appreciated.
    Marc

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Marc,

The KX-5 is a very good gun. You're logic is correct, you will be able to recoup most of your money should you decide you don't like Trap. If you hold a Citori XT and then immediately pick up a KX-5, you'll buy the KX-5.

As a new shooter, the adjustable rib may cause some trouble. If you get one, leave the rib in the middle and just move the comb until your smoking targets.

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Excellent gun if you like it it will make you a great gun. I had one for a while it was a good gun I though it kicked a little. Went to a heaver gun 90T. Good luck and good shooting. Tom

4. mh03911

mh03911 TS Member

Tom,

That sounds like good advice about the rib. I am a little afraid of having too many adjustments to tinker with.

Marc

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Great gun. Make sure it fits you without any major problems that an adjustment can't fix. You might also consider a used Ljutic IF price is right and the Ljutic fits you. High quality gun that also feels great.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Yup..great gun. I owned a KS-5 Special for several years. Dumb move to sell it. Several guns later, I shoot Caesar Guerini now and really love it. If I had to start over again I honestly would choose the KX-5 or the CG Trap single. Came within a hare's breath of buying the KX. Both are about the same money and the same quality. Tough choice...but I am happier with the CG. I think both are as good as it gets for slightly less than $5000 new. Used...thats another story and that is what I would suggest doing (if your not already planning that). Just look at the classified here, some AWESOME guns at GREAT prices that are better than new. Either way...you cant go wrong.

Mark

p.s. Only thing...get rid of the recoil pad on the KX before you even shoot it. As great as the gun is, it has the worst pad of any gun ever made. It will eat you alive.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ditto what Mark said about the recoil pad.

Either a KS-5 or a KX-5 will last you a lifetime - and do I mean your entire life, as they are ridiculously simple and don't break often. Even internal spring replacement, which should be done periodically, isn't an expensive proposition. Some people remark about the recoil but between my son and I, we owned one KS-5, two KS-5 Specials and one KX-5 and neither of us felt that any of them kicked hard. Regardless of the brand, if a shotgun doesn't fit you, it won't be comfortable to shoot.

Some shooters complain about the top lever operating effort. It is higher than most other break-open guns because it is what cocks the action, not the action being opened. But the lever is longer and has a larger thumb pad than those other guns and most people become acclimated to it quickly.

Ed

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Marc, I am 55 so I get to say stuff like - "don't rush into things" with conviction. Part of the enjoyment of being a new shooter is the excitement to decide on your first gun. Take your time. If you miss this KX5, just like a bus, another one will come along. BT's & BT varieties are always around somewhere at larger shoots and by reputable TS.com sellers.

I have a KX5, and several other guns that are popular as 'first' trap guns (several 870's and Winchester 101) I will say that before I bought my KX I had the opportunity to shoot it. You don't say if you are considering a 34" or 32" style. I can say that it is a long gun, with smooth swinging/pointing charateristics and balance. But, it is not for everybody; no gun is.

Any gun must fit you or you will be dissapointed. You won't make consistant scores, and you'll get sore and develop bad habits. I made several modifications to my KX after I bought it because it actually kicked the heck out of me at first, but after the modifications & fitting/adjustments, I can shoot 300 targets in a tee shirt - no problems.

You can get quite a lot of enjoyment out of a BT 99, 870, XT or modest used gun (with adjustable comb or adjustable recoil pad) for many years before you step up to spending $$$ on a KX. Since you are new to trap, my suggestion is to try several guns that fellows are willing to let you try, shoot some used guns, perhaps buy a good gun for under $1000 and shoot shoot shoot. Then step up to your next gun.

I also advise to spend a small amount of your budget on a good DVD like the Phil Kiner DVD, or take a good clinic in your area. You have to determine several things about your physical shooting style before you can make an informed decision. (for example, one eye or two, what is your natural tendency/reaction time, what is your 'hot zone' (a Kinerism) for best results and what gun suits you??)

If you post your general location, several fellows here may know of upcoming clinics or real (trusted) experts in you area as a coach or to get you started right.

You will get some good advice here and at your gun club. And some that is not so good.

Good luck !

js in PA

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Marc,

It took me about 6 guns before I ended up with one of the finest guns I've ever picked up, and that's the KX-5. I remember the first day I took it out to the range for the first time. The adjustable rib was set from the last guy that owned the gun and I couldn't hit a bird with it set the way it was.

I started adjusting the rib to where I finally ended up with it shooting 100% high and it is just amazing how hard this gun smokes the targets. I'm using a modified titanium choke in it, and believe me there aren't any chips left.

I also own a Ljutic and shoot it very well, but it seems I can shoot the KX-5 from the 27 yard line with higher scores than I do the Ljutic. You will never regret the KX-5. It is a great gun.

Kevin

10. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Don't look past a ljutic too, there are some really nice ones on sale on this board that would be great. I have both a krieghoff K80 with unsingle barrel and a ljutic and they are both fine guns. The new BT-99's are junk compared to the 70's models. The older BT's are really nice. Be carefully about having alot of adjustments, you will find yourself thinking you are missing because this or that isn't set right. Make sure it fits and leave it alone. I do like the KX's i've seen some really nice ones for around $3k. Also the XT is a excellent gun, if you can find a nice one it will do the job just fine as well. Every gun takes time to break in and get a feel of where it shoots remember that. I'm still fine tuning my K80. It can be very frustrating.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

There is also a fellow that is selling a Citori Plus combo for $2400...this is also a gun that will last you many lifetimes and can be tuned to fit and shoot where you want perfectly..and at his asking price..you will never lose a dime if you treat the gun with respect...plus you will have a capability to shoot doubles which the KX cant do

Yes the KX is a great gun but so are the Citori and BT PLUS guns

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I like mine so well that I'm thinking of changing my sign on name to KX5,,,,MX8Dave

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The KS-5 Special is older than the KX-5 but has all the adjustments of the KX-5. Therefore, I'll suggest the KS-5 Special features more bang for the buck by several hundred dollars. Both are the same basic design, mid level barrel, very simple construction, few moving parts, sturdy, points well and so on. My single complaint is that once you've got the adjustments down pat, you'll likely wish you could weld them up so changing things can be forgotten. If you have the cash, of course, a new KX-5 would be special....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Marc, You may want to look more at the XT trap O/U. A Browning will last you a lifetime, and now you can shoot at all clay targets with it. You are now just getting interested in shooting moving targets. With the O/U you can shoot singles, handicap, Trap Doubles, Skeet, 5-stand, Sporting Clays, field hunting. The KX-5 can only shoot single's and handicap trap and is worthless in the field as well. Have you heard the old saying "Beware of the shooter that has one gun". Do you want to have to buy another gun to have 2 shots? If you keep shooting you will!!! Now make your choice. Break-em all. Jeff

15. wlc

wlc Member

Very few beginning trapshooters stick with the gun they start with. As we learn more about shooting our ideas about what we need for a gun usually change. The advice to start with a moderately priced O/U is worth considering. A Browning or Beretta O/U is usually easier to sell if the desire to make a change happens.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

wlc makes a lot of sense, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

-Gary

17. mh03911

mh03911 TS Member

I want to thank everyone for the input. It says a lot about this site that the members are so willing to be helpful to a beginner. I am going to meet the owner of the guns in the morning at the local range, and I have a lot to think about. The forecast is partly cloudy, 25 degrees, and not much wind-a good New England shooting day.

Marc

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What are you going to shoot doubles with?

19. mh03911

mh03911 TS Member

Barry,

If I get a single now I will probably get a double next fall.

Marc

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Marc, there is a great deal of wisdom for buying, for a first gun, an Over/Under or even an auto loader just so you can "try" all the different games. I've coached beginners that way for quite a while and there are several that bought their O/U as a first gun and have stuck with them for many years; Browning being the most likely but Remington 3200s also; both for their value as a quality gun. Any choice, however, should be based on a reasonable test driive with the gun to see if it seems to want to be your buddy or not. Too many beginners say they'll never shoot doubles, skeet, or sporting only to find their shooting world grows happily with dabbling in all the games.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.